Raiders to release QB Derek Carr (Page 73)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I can't remember Matt's situation but did it mimic Carr's in the sense that he was overpaid and was going to be cut by day X while having a no trade clause he had to waive?

Effectively that'd it cost more to trade him than to play him.  But Atlanta was ready to rebuild, so they dealt him to a team who was wanting to win now.  It's nearly identical, except Carr was decent.  Ryan was done.

3 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Crazy thing is we can agree verbally say with the panthers carr for a 2nd in 2023. Feb 15th goes by. Carr can decide you know what I changed my mind. Perfectly legal. Very risky. 

He would completely destroy his reputation.  He would get signed in the off-season but nobody would respect what he says.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly, but i don't think Schefter necessarily means that multiple teams are currently negotiating with Carr.  I read it as that any teams wanting to talk to Carr need to agree to a trade compensation with Las Vegas first.  Otherwise, they'll just release him.  Basically, make us an offer or we're going to toss him into FA.  I get the leverage tactic.

He said at least two teams had been in negotiations and Carr has permission to talk to them.

40 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Effectively that'd it cost more to trade him than to play him.  But Atlanta was ready to rebuild, so they dealt him to a team who was wanting to win now.  It's nearly identical, except Carr was decent.  Ryan was done.

The QB a team gets in Carr is far better than Ryan.

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Yeah, people here are assuming we're going to get some first or second round pick for Carr even though they say he's terrible. It might happen but reality suggests we won't get anything other than a day 3 pick if anything at all. We have absolutely no leverage here. 

He’s a Pro Bowler mayne 

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Yeah, people here are assuming we're going to get some first or second round pick for Carr even though they say he's terrible. It might happen but reality suggests we won't get anything other than a day 3 pick if anything at all. We have absolutely no leverage here. 

As soon as teams started negotiating price we gained a lot of leverage.  If nobody was willing to give up assets then of course you could just wait.  As soon as a team says I will give you a 7th the other teams looking at him say I would give up a 6th and so on.  Now everyone who was looking at him knows he will not be there in the new league year so now is the time to go after him.  Brady retiring and the cap going up made him that much more appealing.  Carr is the best available QB and a better bet over every QB in the draft.  Not that he is a better QB.  You just know what you are going to get in the league.  Watch Brady change his mind about retiring after we trade Carr.

Edited by drfrey13

22 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Crazy thing is we can agree verbally say with the panthers carr for a 2nd in 2023. Feb 15th goes by. Carr can decide you know what I changed my mind. Perfectly legal. Very risky. 

Then we keep Carr and name him the starter. We're so dysfunctional and it'd make great TV to see Carr tell McDaniels off as he knows there's nothing he can do because were all stuck together. lol HARD KNOCKS baby!!! lol

18 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Watch Brady change his mind about retiring after we trade Carr.

I think Brady is willing to sign a team friendly deal for ANY team that looks to bolster the Oline and have a good defense. Watch free agency and the draft. If the Raiders add 2-3 players on the Oline in FA/draft and add to the defense without drafting a QB high then we have a shot. However SF has a better shot because Lance is already spent resources and Purdy is a back up. Brady even washed up probably brings a Super Bowl to that team. To win a SB after Jimmy G couldn't is more revenge/chip for Brady's legacy. Bill B. karma. lol

• Like 1

13 hours ago, G said:

I think Brady is willing to sign a team friendly deal for ANY team that looks to bolster the Oline and have a good defense. Watch free agency and the draft. If the Raiders add 2-3 players on the Oline in FA/draft and add to the defense without drafting a QB high then we have a shot. However SF has a better shot because Lance is already spent resources and Purdy is a back up. Brady even washed up probably brings a Super Bowl to that team. To win a SB after Jimmy G couldn't is more revenge/chip for Brady's legacy. Bill B. karma. lol

It'd just be extremely risky to go through free agency and the draft without investing into a starting QB in hopes that Brady is going to change his mind again.

4 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

The Saints are the best bet being that they have two first round picks and the fact that that's probably the best place that Derek Carr can go. Hopefully we can get a First rounder out of this

They traded their own FRP away to the Eagles to move up for Olave last year. Interested to see how they'd rework the contract because they're currently in cap hell. I'd ask them for #40/#71.

Edited by NYRaider