What to do with Tunsil

Pastor Dillon

2 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Tunsil wants a big payday. We can afford it, but the question becomes, should we? 

if we don’t, we have a GLARING weakness at LT. Tunsil is a really good LT, but he’s not a top 4 tackle in the league. He’s probably top 10. Should we make him the highest paid guy in the league at his position?

Yes

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, mse326 said:
53 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Tunsil wants a big payday. We can afford it, but the question becomes, should we? 

if we don’t, we have a GLARING weakness at LT. Tunsil is a really good LT, but he’s not a top 4 tackle in the league. He’s probably top 10. Should we make him the highest paid guy in the league at his position?

Yes

I would agree. Balance the bulk of the contract into 2024, when there is an excess amount of cap space to leverage. 

I’d say he’s comfortably a top 5 T in the league, and a really good pass protector. That’s worth something. 

Sign him and Tytus to extensions. The Texans have plenty of money to make both work. They already have issues in the interior, fix those and don’t create more holes unnecessarily. Whether they run it back with Mills, draft a QB, sign Minshew, or trade for Garropolo having an all-pro LT and a good RT will help a lot! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marco79 said:

Sign him and Tytus to extensions. The Texans have plenty of money to make both work. They already have issues in the interior, fix those and don’t create more holes unnecessarily. Whether they run it back with Mills, draft a QB, sign Minshew, or trade for Garropolo having an all-pro LT and a good RT will help a lot! 

Yes to Tunsil… but it’s going to depend on Howard’s contract requirements. He’s been a pretty big disappointment outside of his rookie season. Part of this is because the BoB era moved him around so much across the OL - but even when he’s been locked at RT, he’s been pretty bad.

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

Yes to Tunsil… but it’s going to depend on Howard’s contract requirements. He’s been a pretty big disappointment outside of his rookie season. Part of this is because the BoB era moved him around so much across the OL - but even when he’s been locked at RT, he’s been pretty bad.

He did shut down Chris Jones when they moved him to LG a couple weeks a go 

2 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

He did shut down Chris Jones when they moved him to LG a couple weeks a go 

That’s one performance vs the body of work he’s had as a Texan - if Justin Britt came back and played like an animal the next two games, starting C is still high on my list of needs, y’know? There’s also a history of nagging injuries that seem to slow him down every year in some capacity.

At this point, there’s got to be concessions that Howard’s value should be contingent on his availability and sustained performance. If Howard is retained, it needs to be no longer than two/three years with incentives built in for number of games played, consecutive snaps played, etc. 

I’m all for keeping him, but it would have to be something that’s a bit under market value. I don’t want to see a bidding war for him, if he gets a better deal elsewhere - so long and farewell.