Week 17 GDT: Broncos @ KC Chiefs @ 11:00 AM MST

grizmo78

Dulcich definitely has the talent, but time will tell if he can put it together and learn to read the defense and run crisp/intelligent routes against the zone. Lots of plays come to mind this year where he his running routes full speed without a feel for where to stop in the zone and he ends up running into coverage. I know not everyone can be travis kelce, but if you ever have some free time just go search Travis Kelce route running on youtube and you will see what I mean. The dude knows what he needs to do to get open and his athleticism/physical attributes are an added benefit, but not the reason he is successful. That being said not everyone has Patrick Mahomes buying time in the pocket allopwing you to freelance for as long as you need to get open. 

I didn't spend a lot of time zoning in on Dulcich during blocking scenarios this year. Anyone have insight into how he looked? The fact that I wasn't overly aware of him in run/pass block is probably a good thing. 

8 hours ago, MontanaBronco said:

Dulcich definitely has the talent, but time will tell if he can put it together and learn to read the defense and run crisp/intelligent routes against the zone. Lots of plays come to mind this year where he his running routes full speed without a feel for where to stop in the zone and he ends up running into coverage. I know not everyone can be travis kelce, but if you ever have some free time just go search Travis Kelce route running on youtube and you will see what I mean. The dude knows what he needs to do to get open and his athleticism/physical attributes are an added benefit, but not the reason he is successful. That being said not everyone has Patrick Mahomes buying time in the pocket allopwing you to freelance for as long as you need to get open. 

I didn't spend a lot of time zoning in on Dulcich during blocking scenarios this year. Anyone have insight into how he looked? The fact that I wasn't overly aware of him in run/pass block is probably a good thing. 

The fact Dulcich flashed as a rookie is incredibly encouraging.   TE is hands down the toughest position to make an impact as a rookie.   The soft tissue injury will be a concern as that has a greater risk for recurrence but the future looks bright there.    And I say that as someone who preferred Nakobe Dean as our cover LB there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

TE is hands down the toughest position to make an impact as a rookie.  

Yes which is why you don’t see a lot of guys break out until year 2/3. Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates second year breakouts. Tony Gonzalez wasn’t really until year 3. Vernon Davis was year 4. Of course there are the year 1 guys like Gronk and Shockey. But traditionally speaking TE’s usually take a couple years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

Yes which is why you don’t see a lot of guys break out until year 2/3. Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates second year breakouts. Tony Gonzalez wasn’t really until year 3. Vernon Davis was year 4. Of course there are the year 1 guys like Gronk and Shockey. But traditionally speaking TE’s usually take a couple years.

Exactly. And Dulcich has some of the skills you can't teach, plus he's willing to block. I'll take that any day for a rookie. Get some coaches in here who can maximize his potential and we may be set at the position for awhile

• Like 2

Well, that was worth watching. Huge improvement on ST's and offense. Defense played the best they could. 

Bottom line though we just don't match up at the LOS. That's where the game was lost on both sides. The call for better personnel on both lines should be deafening. The coaching was actually pretty great. For a first time without Hackett's influence we put together a good offensive game plan. Outen/Kubiak surprised me. 

Evero was in quite a chess match with Reid and held his own but is really limited by DL personnel. 

Russ is a terrible pocket QB but when you let him run, move him around he can be special. 

Maybe it's just because we've been so bad this year but this was one of the better prepared and coached games I've seen for years. 3 penalties, 2 of which I thought were pretty borderline. Sustained drives, timely stops. All 3 units played as well as they're capable of. Rosburg seemed really comfortable as HC. Too bad he had to wait 40 years for a shot.

Anyway, I'll watch football like that any day. 

Honestly, I expected the "dead cat bounce" to last until halftime at best. By the middle of the 3rd I was starting to pay attention and was glued to it during the 4th. When they kept coming back I was shocked.

So, for the first time this year I'm actually going to follow this weekends game from start to finish. It'd be great to get a win, but once more we'll be outclassed in the trenches. That's almost impossible to overcome.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Well, that was worth watching. Huge improvement on ST's and offense. Defense played the best they could. 

Bottom line though we just don't match up at the LOS. That's where the game was lost on both sides. The call for better personnel on both lines should be deafening. The coaching was actually pretty great. For a first time without Hackett's influence we put together a good offensive game plan. Outen/Kubiak surprised me. 

Evero was in quite a chess match with Reid and held his own but is really limited by DL personnel. 

Russ is a terrible pocket QB but when you let him run, move him around he can be special. 

Maybe it's just because we've been so bad this year but this was one of the better prepared and coached games I've seen for years. 3 penalties, 2 of which I thought were pretty borderline. Sustained drives, timely stops. All 3 units played as well as they're capable of. Rosburg seemed really comfortable as HC. Too bad he had to wait 40 years for a shot.

Anyway, I'll watch football like that any day. 

Honestly, I expected the "dead cat bounce" to last until halftime at best. By the middle of the 3rd I was starting to pay attention and was glued to it during the 4th. When they kept coming back I was shocked.

So, for the first time this year I'm actually going to follow this weekends game from start to finish. It'd be great to get a win, but once more we'll be outclassed in the trenches. That's almost impossible to overcome.

Upgrading OL/DL is a must. Needs to happen in the draft AND via FA. I'd like to see us invest meaningful draft capital in OL but sign two veterans along the line. Doesn't have to be the most expensive signing, but with the cap space we have, we need to fill out rotational depth and hopefully find a starter or two. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 1:03 PM, broncos67 said:

Upgrading OL/DL is a must. Needs to happen in the draft AND via FA. I'd like to see us invest meaningful draft capital in OL but sign two veterans along the line. Doesn't have to be the most expensive signing, but with the cap space we have, we need to fill out rotational depth and hopefully find a starter or two. 

Totally. We have land some plus starters on the lines in FA with the considerable monies we have. Then you fill in depth and development in the draft without an eye on the immediate. George is good at the draft and if the gaping holes are plugged you can go BPA at important spots and/or positions of need, even if in the middle and late rounds you get high upside niche players, that’s fine.