2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

30 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

No way he retires, he said he wanted to play into his late 30s I think when we signed Mack & he re-signed, the 49ers will have to decide on his 2024-2026 option years this offseason, he'll have $10M guaranteed, don't see him leaving, not yet.

Think he's playing through the end of that contract unless he suddenly falls off, suffers a bad injury, or, hopefully, wins a ring(though hopefully he decides to go for two or more instead). 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Decided to see what Tomsula is doing these days out of curiosity and apparently after the Cowboys fired him and Nolan after 2020 and he took a year off in 2021 he was the head coach of the rebooted Rhein Fire in the new European League of Football last year(he was also the head coach of the old Rhein Fire in the NFL Europe days). Not sure if he'd want to come back after how things ended in 2015 though, haha

Kocurek > Tomsula

• Like 3

I don't think it is smart to make any definitive statements regarding a player in his mid-30s on if they will keep playing or not. It is extremely tough, especially for OL. Mack and Staley retired when very few thought they would and if Williams wakes up one day and says ENOUGH! Then he could be the next OL on this team to retire. Williams knows how much work he needs to put in to play at this level and he's not going to accept anything less. I hope he has another two or so years in him but I will fully respect any decision he makes. Love what he has given this team the last two years and you just know you are watching true greatness every single week. Big fan of 71!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't think it is smart to make any definitive statements regarding a player in his mid-30s on if they will keep playing or not. It is extremely tough, especially for OL. Mack and Staley retired when very few thought they would and if Williams wakes up one day and says ENOUGH! Then he could be the next OL on this team to retire. Williams knows how much work he needs to put in to play at this level and he's not going to accept anything less. I hope he has another two or so years in him but I will fully respect any decision he makes. Love what he has given this team the last two years and you just know you are watching true greatness every single week. Big fan of 71!

Tom will convince him to stay. No worries!

• Like 3

Kinda funny that Kyle, Saleh and Ryans all were hired by teams that were about to pick #2 in the draft after firing a retread head coach who won meaningless games to cost the team that was about to fire them the #1 pick out of spite. Hopefully Ryans gets someone better than Solomon Thomas or Zach Wilson to kick off his tenure.

Edited by jonnguy2015

3 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

In video Trent seemed like he was coming back. In text it makes it sounds way different lol. Also Trent has a boot on and is on a crutch. 

Here's the entire video

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Hopefully Ryans gets someone better than Solomon Thomas or Zach Wilson to kick off his tenure

Just draft smartly. 49ers needed a QB in 2017 and didn't draft one in the first round. That was DUMB. 

Justin Fields was the consensus #2 pick for a year... and the Jets fell in love with Wilson because he could run around and throw a deep ball to a wide open WR with no pass rush in his face. 

?

Keep it simple. 

Edited by Herodreamer79

I think Fangio can run a 4-3, but we are a primary cover 3 team, and he used to run cover 2 man/palms/quarters.  

I think we can call Bosa a "Track Stance linebacker." and never use him in coverage.  The main difference is Hufanga playing a deep half rather than near the LOS on most plays.  I didn't follow his defenses at most of the other places he's been, so I am not sure what type of scheme flexibility he employs.