2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

Ward doesn't seem like he has an axe to grind. He's just honest in an awkward manner. It's fine. Hopefully he gets the compensation he seeks. 

Funny hearing his comments, and essentially hearing an opposite vibe from that Bengals linebacker that emphatically stated what he really wanted to do is go somewhere with a top 5 QB so he can play in a Super Bowl. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

Yeah, Brady is out which I thought would actually happen as I was thinking about it the other day. He just straight up retires. GOAT career indeed. 

At least this should stop the "will they sign Brady" narrative for the 49ers. It's the Lance/Purdy show moving forward. And of course can't rule out a return for PrettyFaceAce. Hoping Purdy can get healthy in 6 months just so he can have a shot. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

6 hours ago, adamq said:

Welp, I don't see Jimmie coming back

Ward's reaction to Kyle telling him that was funny lol.

I get it though, this dude is one of the best safeties in the league. His career took off when he made that positional switch and then they had him try another position...Being the beast he is, he eventually ended up becoming one of the best NB's this season. Love #1, hope he is a Niner for life but I get it if this was his last season here. Won't be easy to replace. 

• Like 2

Brady lived up to his word of playing until he was 45! What a legend, the true GOAT of the game.

At least we can end the speculation of Brady coming here....Now the A-Rod rumors will intensify! 

But the most realistic plan was always goin to be Trey and Purdy at QB and then possibly drafting one in the middle to late rounds. 

• Like 1

Basically, Doc thinks it is laughable to expect Purdy back in six months and that's probably accurate. If this ends up being a 9 month recovery, then we can't even count on him for the 2023 season. 

So the team needs a legitimate back up behind Lance....Luckily those two only make like 10M combined so you can get someone solid and still have a relatively cheap QB room....Who though? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Basically, Doc thinks it is laughable to expect Purdy back in six months and that's probably accurate. If this ends up being a 9 month recovery, then we can't even count on him for the 2023 season. 

So the team needs a legitimate back up behind Lance....Luckily those two only make like 10M combined so you can get someone solid and still have a relatively cheap QB room....Who though? 

Honestly, at this point you have to look at Lance as your guy, but with the idea that you're either bringing back Jimmy G or signing someone like Bridgewater, Brissett, Minshew, or Andy Dalton to be the #2. 

If they get lucky and things are looking real positive for both Lance and Purdy by the start of free agency, then I'd still look at guys like Sudfeld, Mike White, Cooper Rush, or Josh Johnson to be the 3rd string. 

• Like 1

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

If they get lucky and things are looking real positive for both Lance and Purdy by the start of free agency, then I'd still look at guys like Sudfeld, Mike White, Cooper Rush, or Josh Johnson to be the 3rd string. 

We're not doing this again

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Honestly, at this point you have to look at Lance as your guy, but with the idea that you're either bringing back Jimmy G or signing someone like Bridgewater, Brissett, Minshew, or Andy Dalton to be the #2. 

Josh Johnson? Absolutely not lol. Give me SOMEONE that can actually play a bit if needed and not someone that is going to be shaking in fear of having to go in the game.

Jimmy G is not going to want to go through this again and there is a reason he structured his deal the way he did. He will have some opportunities to play elsewhere and open up as the starter. Jets, Raiders, Commanders and possibly even a team like the Cardinals when it doesn't seem like Murray will be ready to start the season. 

20 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Josh Johnson? Absolutely not lol. Give me SOMEONE that can actually play a bit if needed and not someone that is going to be shaking in fear of having to go in the game.

Jimmy G is not going to want to go through this again and there is a reason he structured his deal the way he did. He will have some opportunities to play elsewhere and open up as the starter. Jets, Raiders, Commanders and possibly even a team like the Cardinals when it doesn't seem like Murray will be ready to start the season. 

Jacoby Brisset

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

34 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

We're not doing this again

Guys, I threw other names, too LOL. You're fixating on the wrong part. The point is, IF both Lance and Purdy are looking good by free agency, then going after a true 3rd string QB might be enough. 

IF Lance is fine, but Purdy looks like he will not be on track for the start of the year, then going after a legit backup would make more sense.