2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

5 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

Agreed on everything, I'm iffy on Gould. I'd love Ward back, but idk if he stays or gets a bigger deal elsewhere.

I think guys like Spence, & McGill can be had for 1yr vet minimum deals. But time to get rid of the Dwelley's, Moore's, Verrett's, etc...

I'd like to think that Ward would want to stay with the 49ers, but money talks. I'd love to bring Ward and Gibson back and have Ward go back to being a true FS, Gibson playing Huf's current role, let Huf roam around the LoS more with less deep responsibilities, and draft a true deep cover safety with range. But, all of this really depends on who is our DC and what he likes to do. 

Other lower priorities this offseason for me would be to draft a TE to pair with Kittle, draft a C to take over for Brendle in a year or two, draft a WR late to stash on the PS.

I honestly think we really just need to sure-up depth spots, target specific guys in the draft for a sniper approach rather than a shotgun approach, and let big trade/signing opportunities present themselves and capitalize if it's right.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'd like to think that Ward would want to stay with the 49ers, but money talks. I'd love to bring Ward and Gibson back and have Ward go back to being a true FS, Gibson playing Huf's current role, let Huf roam around the LoS more with less deep responsibilities, and draft a true deep cover safety with range. But, all of this really depends on who is our DC and what he likes to do. 

Other lower priorities this offseason for me would be to draft a TE to pair with Kittle, draft a C to take over for Brendle in a year or two, draft a WR late to stash on the PS.

I honestly think we really just need to sure-up depth spots, target specific guys in the draft for a sniper approach rather than a shotgun approach, and let big trade/signing opportunities present themselves and capitalize if it's right.

I like it, I just hope 49er fans temper their expectations in free agency, we may sign a guy to a big deal, but that's it, the cap can't handle them signing 2-3 big name players, not like they need them as they have little holes, not when we need to extend Bosa & Aiyuk the next 2 offseasons.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

I like it, I just hope 49er fans temper their expectations in free agency, we may sign a guy to a big deal, but that's it, the cap can't handle them signing 2-3 big name players, not like they need them as they have little holes, not when we need to extend Bosa & Aiyuk the next 2 offseasons.

Absolutely. This is a SB roster and would be better suited upgrading depth across multiple positions rather than spending big at one or two positions. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

I could see us potentially paying around 10mil for an offensive linemen, inside corner or a safety, but I think the play this offseason is to buy back as many of our own players as possible, for as long as possible.  This offseason I plan on doing Demeko mocks, where I mock him and a gaggle of 49ers depth players to multiple coaching positions around the league. 

I was thinking about the draft picks the 49ers have this year, and the players this team has on the roster.  The roster is stacked with late round gems.  Every level of defense has multiple very good players drafted outside of the top 50.  The team and coaching staff is exceptionally skilled at this.  There are also plenty of contributors on the offense that have been found outside of the first round, though not as many.  

I was wondering the root of the production of the late rounders.  Is it Coaching?  Continuity? Scouting?  It is a likely a combination of the three, but how can the team take its talent for finding late rounders and get the most out of it.  Would more picks mean more production and more opportunity to find and develop the right player, or would it clog up the depth chart?  Are there only a handfull of guys late that the team likes and more picks would just be fodder, or is the team missing on multiple guys they would take if they had more picks?

I didn't used to get too excited for picks outside of the top 50 because it was mostly guys I didn't know a lot about, but with this team, it is like finding film on a really good player I didn't hear about.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

I could see us potentially paying around 10mil for an offensive linemen, inside corner or a safety, but I think the play this offseason is to buy back as many of our own players as possible, for as long as possible.  This offseason I plan on doing Demeko mocks, where I mock him and a gaggle of 49ers depth players to multiple coaching positions around the league. 

I was thinking about the draft picks the 49ers have this year, and the players this team has on the roster.  The roster is stacked with late round gems.  Every level of defense has multiple very good players drafted outside of the top 50.  The team and coaching staff is exceptionally skilled at this.  There are also plenty of contributors on the offense that have been found outside of the first round, though not as many.  

I was wondering the root of the production of the late rounders.  Is it Coaching?  Continuity? Scouting?  It is a likely a combination of the three, but how can the team take its talent for finding late rounders and get the most out of it.  Would more picks mean more production and more opportunity to find and develop the right player, or would it clog up the depth chart?  Are there only a handfull of guys late that the team likes and more picks would just be fodder, or is the team missing on multiple guys they would take if they had more picks?

I didn't used to get too excited for picks outside of the top 50 because it was mostly guys I didn't know a lot about, but with this team, it is like finding film on a really good player I didn't hear about.  

If we pay that much to bring in a nickel corner, I'll be pissed. Between Lenoir and Womack, we should be able to field a quality nickel corner next season. I'd rather pay to bring back Mosely and also bring in another vet corner to start the year outside opposite Mooney since Mosely probably won't be ready at the beginning of the year. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

If we pay that much to bring in a nickel corner, I'll be pissed. Between Lenoir and Womack, we should be able to field a quality nickel corner next season. I'd rather pay to bring back Mosely and also bring in another vet corner to start the year outside opposite Mooney since Mosely probably won't be ready at the beginning of the year. 

I would actually like for Womack to get some serious playing time this upcoming game against Arizona. I know it won’t mean much just because it’s Az without Murray and possibly Colt. Kyle doesn’t like to play rookies their first year, but if Womack plays well enough I think he could consider it going into the playoffs. Teams are targeting Lenoir more often than not or like you guys have mentioned the soft spot in zone. Sorry, I know wrong thread. 

I hope we bring back E-Man, I know the injury kind of helps, but it also places us in a bad situation as well. He needs to recover, so we know he’ll be 100% so getting another corner in FA or draft would be enticing. Leaning more towards draft. I think last year we made a lot of picks on the O-line later on so I don’t think we’ll go too heavy at least in FA. Like it was mentioned, we’ll resign our own guys if anything like McKivitz (RT), Brendel and Brunskill. 

Draft - 

1. Safety 

2. Corner

3. DT

45 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

E-man would be stupid not to come back at a discount. In his long term best interest. Yeah, he'd take a pay cut for a year, and probably start on PUP, but it's a no brainer. The team can deal with his loss for 6 games or more, and then he can come back on one of the best defenses in the league and just go lights out for the rest of the season and the playoffs which would set him up for a big pay day the following year with someone. We also clearly need him. 

Best interest of both parties. If he goes somewhere else without a quality defense and he starts the season not fully healthy, he could easily bottom out. He's likely not getting a long term deal anywhere this off season, so take the shave this year and set yourself up nicely 

• Like 5

Just trying to figure out schedule for next year and can’t remember for sure. Do the Niners play the winners of the divisions that are the TBD portion of their schedule? NFC North and South and AFC South?  So Vikings, Tampa and either Tennessee or Jax? Or is there a different method. 

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

That was a late addition to the list.  I woudn't hate adding a ver for comp there, but you are right about 9 mil being too much for that position.  

Every player gets banged up and some may miss a game here or there. But i'm done with the chronically injured guys. Jimmy G, Mitchell, Kinlaw & Verett specifically. 

Lance fits into that category as well, but Lance likely gets 1 more year at least with a decision to be made in 2024 after a Lance-Purdy competition in TC

1 hour ago, straighthate said:

Just trying to figure out schedule for next year and can’t remember for sure. Do the Niners play the winners of the divisions that are the TBD portion of their schedule? NFC North and South and AFC South?  So Vikings, Tampa and either Tennessee or Jax? Or is there a different method. 

Correct.

We get:

• Our division games
  • NFC East
  • AFC North
  • Vikings
  • Bucs
  • Winner of AFC South
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2022 at 4:31 PM, 49erscap said:

Good points, I do think Brendel will be back, he's played well, they like him, so don't fix what's not broken, it's RT that's the issue.

I hope we keep Moseley on a 1yr or 2yr deal, I also would love Jimmie Ward back, same with Omenihu, if it came down to him or Ebukam, I'd choose Omenihu, more versatile. I can see Hyder & Willis back too, Hyder seems most comfortable with Kocurek as his DL Coach. Also something to think about is the defensive scheme, some say we go to a 3-4 if we hire Fangio if Ryans gets a HC gig, but I just think that makes no sense, our talent suits a 4-3 scheme, Wide Zone scheme that Kocurek is so good at with his DL, I'd also like to see Gipson back.

But I do hope Poe & Zakelj get some reps at C, and RG, especially if Burford is moved to RT.

This would be a BIG mistake if it is even considered. We do NOT have the personnel for a 3-4 at this time. Bosa would be wasted in the 3-4. He is not an OLB nor is he a 3-4 DE. He is a pure 4-3 EDGE/DE.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 11:53 AM, StevenK said:

I would actually like for Womack to get some serious playing time this upcoming game against Arizona. I know it won’t mean much just because it’s Az without Murray and possibly Colt. Kyle doesn’t like to play rookies their first year, but if Womack plays well enough I think he could consider it going into the playoffs. Teams are targeting Lenoir more often than not or like you guys have mentioned the soft spot in zone. Sorry, I know wrong thread. 

I hope we bring back E-Man, I know the injury kind of helps, but it also places us in a bad situation as well. He needs to recover, so we know he’ll be 100% so getting another corner in FA or draft would be enticing. Leaning more towards draft. I think last year we made a lot of picks on the O-line later on so I don’t think we’ll go too heavy at least in FA. Like it was mentioned, we’ll resign our own guys if anything like McKivitz (RT), Brendel and Brunskill. 

Draft - 

1. Safety 

2. Corner

3. DT

I think K is a must. Gould is too expensive and getting less reliable. That leg looks worn out. 

• Like 2