2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

On 2/3/2023 at 3:09 PM, struby3 said:

We will not get a comp pick for Lynn unless he gets a head coaching position. You don't get comp picks for assistants leaving for coordinator positions.

Additionally, coaches must be employed by teams for at least 2 seasons to earn comp picks. 

With Bobby turner back, I understand why Lynn would want to move on, especially because he will have a chance to call plays. 

21 minutes ago, N4L said:

I am really surprised that we were not in on him and that we do not have a DC yet. 

Sounds like our interview with Wilks is today. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear today or tomorrow that we're going in that direction. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 49erscap said:

Looks like it's going well

That’s great news! I’m really excited! 

Curious - why are there rumors with this possible hire that we are going to lose Kocurek? Is he set to go to Hou or is this based off something else? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

Looks like it's going well

I don’t think I’m as excited about this as most are, but we could do far worse, and I think anyone that’s coaching this defense is going to do well with the talent we’ve got.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, StevenK said:

Curious - why are there rumors with this possible hire that we are going to lose Kocurek? Is he set to go to Hou or is this based off something else? 

I think it’s the speculation he could take the Houston DC job if not given the DC job here. A couple folks mentioned that he didn’t want a coordinator job though. So it may just be conjecture at this point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I think, like @GW21said it's because he could take the HOU DC job, but I think Kocurek stays with a pay raise and added title, like Assistant HC, or Senior Assistant Defensive Coach something like Flores had with the Steelers.

30 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I don’t think I’m as excited about this as most are, but we could do far worse, and I think anyone that’s coaching this defense is going to do well with the talent we’ve got.

I'm the same. I basically subscribe to the notion that most coordinators, like quarterbacks, are mostly their situations. I think there are very few difference makers at the coordinator spot either way, good or bad. 

As long as he's not a disaster, I think guys like Warner and Bosa will keep him competent at the least. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I actually would be pretty excited about this to be honest. Yes, we have had two up and coming/ out of the box DC’s the last few seasons and they performed extremely well.

but there is something to be said for a veteran/proven DC that is supposedly very passionate not on about his defense, but the players themselves.

i personally think that, while Wilks will bring his style of defense, he will definitely look into what Ryan’s and even Saleh did that was successful with this defense and listen to players on what they think makes them successful.

I know everyone likes the youthful/ new era DC’s and Wilks is somewhat of a known commodity, but I am very optimistic if this does happen and I still expect a top 5 defense with the talent we have

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm the same. I basically subscribe to the notion that most coordinators, like quarterbacks, are mostly their situations. I think there are very few difference makers at the coordinator spot either way, good or bad. 

As long as he's not a disaster, I think guys like Warner and Bosa will keep him competent at the least. 

Most folks in the NFL run mostly zone. Some more 2 high than 1 high, some vice versa. More man on third downs to contest shorter passes. Some blitz more than others. No matter what, you need a star pass rusher with a group of complementary guys (or multiple plus pass rushers with no superstar to achieve the same effect), a corner that can hang with star receivers on the downs that you play man and MEG zone stuff and a couple of other corners that can at least put up a fight against non star NFL receivers. You need supporting guys that can tackle and perform and adjust their roles based on motions and personnel. And it really, really helps when you have linebackers that can carry wide receivers without being destroyed. It is super hard to play MOFC defenses without them. I’d prefer a guy that runs a bit more MOFC defenses - we’re spending a lot of money on two tremendous linebackers and you’d like Hufanga in the box more often. But apart from that what you mostly want is a guy that can set the standards, maintain accountability, and keep the solid professional vibes going. 

• Like 2