2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

10 hours ago, P_locniners said:

Looks like Kris Kocurek is staying with Niners, that puts me at ease a bit, awesome news

Agreed. It sounds like Undlin is not coming back, so we'll need a new DB coach. Kind of tracks with the possibility of hiring Wilks as DC since he is a DB guy. I'm sure if he got the job, he'd want to have his guy at that position. 

I think the best thing for our defense is retaining Kocurek and keep the scheme relatively the same as last year. I think that sets us up for the best chance at another top tier defense. 

• Like 1

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

Agreed. It sounds like Undlin is not coming back, so we'll need a new DB coach. Kind of tracks with the possibility of hiring Wilks as DC since he is a DB guy. I'm sure if he got the job, he'd want to have his guy at that position. 

I think the best thing for our defense is retaining Kocurek and keep the scheme relatively the same as last year. I think that sets us up for the best chance at another top tier defense. 

I think we just promote Bullocks to our DB coach and maybe start grooming him to be our next DC for when Wilks leaves if that's the way we decide to go.

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'm curious if Wilks will be allowed to change the coaching staff to his guys a bit. This is where the give and take will be allowed to go with DeMeco. Kocurek is staying, curious if Tapp gets hired as Dline coach for DeMeco. Hollands I hope stays. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tapp go to Houston unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Interesting read from Kawakami, specifically on the Jimmy/Kyle situation. I kind of suspected some ugliness between the two, but I haven't seen anything in writing from a credible person until now.

Apparently, Kawakami got some people within the team to corroborate it with info saying Jimmy and Kyle were at odds at the end of the season and especially during the playoffs. It doesn't seem like he got any specifics on it, but it sounds like the bitter dynamic between them was confirmed. 

• Like 1