2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

Didn't notice this come through. 

Aiyuk fifth year option is 14 million, Kinlaw's 10.4. 

Definitely will pick up Aiyuk's, of that I have no doubt. I have no idea on Kinlaw. He's not been worth it at all...even remotely lol....but at "only" 10.4 for one year, I could see them pick it up. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

Definitely will pick up Aiyuk's, of that I have no doubt. I have no idea on Kinlaw. He's not been worth it at all...even remotely lol....but at "only" 10.4 for one year, I could see them pick it up. 

Don’t want any part of Kinlaw…..another first round bust. Balmer flashbacks with Kinlaw.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Forge said:

There is just nothing to suggest that he is worth it yet. 10.4 million is a guy that you rely upon to soak up 30+ snaps with real effectiveness. Kinlaw has never done anything like that. And he hasn't even shown intriguing upside at the NFL level, even in training camp. I've heard more from Drake Jackson in that regard last year than Kinlaw in three years. I just can't see it happening. Plus, unlike with Solomon Thomas, you don't even have the thing where he's a guy that everyone easily respects. I have no issue with Kinlaw, but he isn't the same kind of straight-laced guy. Aiyuk for 15 is a no brainer. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JIllg said:

There is just nothing to suggest that he is worth it yet. 10.4 million is a guy that you rely upon to soak up 30+ snaps with real effectiveness. Kinlaw has never done anything like that. And he hasn't even shown intriguing upside at the NFL level, even in training camp. I've heard more from Drake Jackson in that regard last year than Kinlaw in three years. I just can't see it happening. Plus, unlike with Solomon Thomas, you don't even have the thing where he's a guy that everyone easily respects. I have no issue with Kinlaw, but he isn't the same kind of strait-laced guy. Aiyuk for 15 is a no brainer. 

BA at $14.1m is a no brainer, Kinlaw is too much, if it was $8m I’d say ok, but not $10.455m.

Edited by 49erscap

6 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

For what it's worth, I reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaally want Lance to succeed. Like personality wise and just his mindset, you really couldn't ask for more at the position. Humble, confident, internally motivated, gracious and endearing. For a young player, he really understands not only the dynamics of the playing the position but the perception of his draft status what that entails. He's not oblivious to the noise but it doesn't define his trajectory from a personal standpoint. 

I just don't think we're going to be able to reap the benefits when the light comes on for him because I don't see this big jump from him within the next two years. Some other team is more than likely going to benefit from that which will truly suck to see. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

For what it's worth, I reeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaally want Lance to succeed. Like personality wise and just his mindset, you really couldn't ask for more at the position. Humble, confident, internally motivated, gracious and endearing. For a young player, he really understands not only the dynamics of the playing the position but the perception of his draft status what that entails. He's not oblivious to the noise but it doesn't define his trajectory from a personal standpoint. 

I just don't think we're going to be able to reap the benefits when the light comes on for him because I don't see this big jump from him within the next two years. Some other team is more than likely going to benefit from that which will truly suck to see. 

And that's besides the physical tools. Just the arm strength and the physical ability to get out of trouble are quality traits in addition to the character things that I completely agree with you on.  I'm not sure that he's ever going to be a top 8 guy - the accuracy and timing might not get there and he hasn't shown the expected rushing upside. But I would not be surprised if he put up the sort of year Trevor Lawrence did last year. Not MVP stuff due to hiccups, but some real plus plays to keep you afloat. But that's with more reps and I'm not sure when those reps will come for him. It's a hard league to struggle once in, even temporarily. Even as a high pick. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

This is exactly where I am at. 

I may not be as bullish on his overall success as you (once he gets moved to a new team, his long term leash for any team is largely non existent, which really puts him at a disadvantage), but if he has success (and I do believe he's capable of being good), it'll likely be with another team. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 49erscap said:

Doubt they release him, more likely someone would trade a late round pick for him.

Exactly. We'd be paying him almost $5mil to NOT be on the team and receive no cap relief in return. Kinlaw is going to be on the roster this year unless they get a trade done like you said. 

Also, looking at the cap figures for 2023, we don't really have any guys we could cut to get some cap relief. CMC is the only one, but I'm sure they will restructure his deal to get some money back. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 49erscap said:

Doubt they release him, more likely someone would trade a late round pick for him.

Yeah, they don't save anything by just releasing him. He would still count for just under $5M in dead cap. If they are giving up on him then a trade would be best so they could save the ~$2.7M in guaranteed salary. He won't be released unless no team wants to trade for him and he is outplayed in camp and doesn't deserve a roster spot.

• Like 2