2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

29 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I think K is a must. Gould is too expensive and getting less reliable. That leg looks worn out. 

Joey Slye, Matt Prater, Eddy Pineiro, and Chase McLaughlin would be good options that would be about as much or a little less than Gould's $3.7 mil in 2022.

I can see Prater definitely leaving Arizona because it's a disaster, Gay possibly since the Rams are over the cap and don't seem to have much wiggle room. Might just blow it up anyways. Pineiro maybe since the Panthers are not a great team and right up against the cap.

There are kickers to be had if they want to move away from Robbie, which I think it's best to cut and run now rather than wait until it's too late.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Gould is not going anywhere. Still very reliable in the playoffs. Bad miss vs the Raiders and maybe another miss or two that were bad this season...Overall though? Not many more you will trust in money situations than Gould. 

I agree with this. If Gould continues to play I think Shanahan will do everything in his power to bring him back. 

He is already 40 though, so you’ve got to wonder how many more seasons he’s going to play.

• Like 1

Gould's FG percentage is only down 3.1 % from last year but he's attempted 8 more FG's

He missed against LV for the game winner but he also missed a game winner against the Bengals in 2021 and rebounded quite nicely for the playoffs

I think he'll be fine for the playoffs & i wouldn't mind re-signing him to a 1-2 year deal, depending on $

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Gould is not going anywhere. Still very reliable in the playoffs. Bad miss vs the Raiders and maybe another miss or two that were bad this season...Overall though? Not many more you will trust in money situations than Gould. e's

Well, we can't say he's still reliable in the playoffs without seeing him being reliable this year lol. 

His "clutchness" is what we are paying for if we are being honest. He's never missed in the playoffs. But he's a limited kicker. He just is. The last three years he hasn't been anything that special with regards to accuracy (19th, 17th, 19th), he attempts relatively few kicks from 50 (never more than 4 in a season since joining the niners), and forget about anything really deep. He's not attempting anything from 55 or 56 and beyond. Even from 40-49 he hasn't been anything special - 7/11 this year, 7/9 last year is pretty middling when it comes to the accuracy department. 

His contact isn't awful or anything, but at 41, he'll probably want to be paid in order to keep playing (especially out west) and I just don't know that he's worth it game to game. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Gould's FG percentage is only down 3.1 % from last year but he's attempted 8 more FG's

He missed against LV for the game winner but he also missed a game winner against the Bengals in 2021 and rebounded quite nicely for the playoffs

I think he'll be fine for the playoffs & i wouldn't mind re-signing him to a 1-2 year deal, depending on $

He's really just missed one more kick this year than he has last year. There hasn't been any sort of egregious drop off or anything.

This year he has kicked more than twice as many field goals less than 30 yards, which even the most incompetent NFL kicker should pretty much hit.

Beyond 30, he was 14 / 17  (4/4, 7/9, 3/4) last year. 

This year he's 14/ 18 (5/5, 7/11, 2/2). The blip at 40-49 yards is disconcerting, but the sample size is so small that it's really hard to say its indicative of anything greater than just sheer variance. 

But as a kicker, outside of the trusting him in the big moments, there would be nothing that ties me to him moving forward.  So it's really about whether you'd rather have a kicker you trust to hit a 45 yard game winner (Raiders game not withstanding) or a guy that may give you a chance to put 3 on the board a little more frequently. Also depends on what he wants. If he's willing to take 2 million or something, that's fine. If he wants 4 to 4.5 million to continue, I'm going to maybe shoot my shot elsewhere

• Like 1

I really don’t see Jimmie Ward coming back, as much as I would like him to.

I think he is waiting for his payday and that ain’t coming from the Niners. I also think I there is some bad blood from his position change and that that alone is gonna prompt him to move on.

I just don’t expect him to be back

• Like 4

2 hours ago, P_locniners said:

I really don’t see Jimmie Ward coming back, as much as I would like him to.

I think he is waiting for his payday and that ain’t coming from the Niners. I also think I there is some bad blood from his position change and that that alone is gonna prompt him to move on.

I just don’t expect him to be back

Agreed. I don’t either. I think we will extend Gipson and place Lenoir or Womack at the nickel if we don’t get a true nickel in FA. I still think we will draft a corner as well fairly high too. 

3 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'm not super locked into this yet, but are CMC and Bosa the two contracts that give us the best chance to create additional cap space? 

These are the best candidates IMO.

RB Christian McCaffrey – $8.576 million max, $7,146,666 minimum

TE George Kittle – $8.456 million max, $7,927,500 minimum

LT Trent Williams – $14.588 million max, $13,676,250 minimum

DT Arik Armstead – $11.78 million max, $11,043,750 minimum

MLB Fred Warner – $9.476 million max, $8,883,750 minimum

I'm not sure when they'll do Bosa's extension, but they could save a good $8M-$10M if they structure it right.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

These are the best candidates IMO.

RB Christian McCaffrey – $8.576 million max, $7,146,666 minimum

TE George Kittle – $8.456 million max, $7,927,500 minimum

LT Trent Williams – $14.588 million max, $13,676,250 minimum

DT Arik Armstead – $11.78 million max, $11,043,750 minimum

MLB Fred Warner – $9.476 million max, $8,883,750 minimum

I'm not sure when they'll do Bosa's extension, but they could save a good $8M-$10M if they structure it right.

Awesome, thanks for this!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 49erscap said:

Very true, no one knows how the Bosa talks will go, I think they'll go fine, the FO has learned with Deebo to not mess around.

Not to mention the fact that Bosa is probably the most valuable player on this team. 

• Like 2