2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

4 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

To be fair the offense did look pretty mediocre last year before we added the best receiving back in the league

That and Purdy went in. McCaffery was great but Purdy kept the offense on schedule better imo. CMC absolutely helped though.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Do we think Shanny utilizes Danny Gray more on offense next year? He's pretty fast and had a decent preseason, of course Jimmy and Purdy don't really have the arm to hit him on deep passes consistently but he could be fun to have as another YAC option or getting handoffs

No. At least not without injury. Maybe he gets up to like 15-20 targets? 

If Danny Gray is touching the ball, that means Aiyuk, Kittle, CMC, Deebo aren't. Jennings / Juice don't really get enough touches to cannibalize with great impact. Jennings had 35 total catches, 20 of which happened on third down and likely won't be Gray's forte anyway. 

I'd like to see them utilize Gray in the run game a little more, but he's a WR 4 and nothing more than option 6 at best on the offense (maybe option 7 when you consider the plays designed for Juice) 

• Like 1

So I feel confident the team will make one big move signing in the offseason as we should have a decent amount of cap space after a few restructures/extensions. Where do you guys think we go? I really want Hargraves and think he or Payne may be the direction we go. If not one of those two, is there any top level interior OL that will be available? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So I feel confident the team will make one big move signing in the offseason as we should have a decent amount of cap space after a few restructures/extensions. Where do you guys think we go? I really want Hargraves and think he or Payne may be the direction we go. If not one of those two, is there any top level interior OL that will be available? 

Rodney Hudson? He's 34 now.

Garrett Bradbury from MN? not sure how he's played since being drafted.

Conner McGovern? Although he suffered an ACL injury during week 16. 

13 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Rodney Hudson? He's 34 now.

Garrett Bradbury from MN? not sure how he's played since being drafted.

Conner McGovern? Although he suffered an ACL injury during week 16. 

Bradbury probably had his best year this year and was pretty solid, but has otherwise been underwhelming.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think spending on an IOL is very unrealistic with this team. Banks is a legit starter and Brendel was really good after a shaky start. I think they like Burford a lot too. 

I just don't see them making a splash acquisition on the OL. I could possibly see it on the DL, but my money is on a safety.

I'm choosing safety over DL because Kocurek has proven he can maximize ability on cheap contracts.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not sure where we go, but I've made my desire for Jessie Bates clear. I'm not sure if he will get more than Marcus Williams last year and if he doesn't, that makes him affordable. Even if he gets a little bit more, his first year cap hit is likely not more than 6 million or so.  Would slot very nicely into that Charvarius type signing. 

I won't mind if they go big splash defensive line though (as long as it's a legit big splash). 

I also wouldn't mind going sort of half and half. Bring in Julian Love at less than Bates makes and then supplement him with signing a Fletcher Cox type if he wants to keep playing and get another shot at a super bowl. 

I'm also interested in Marcus Davenport. 

I don't think that there is anything on the interior offensive line that we would bring in over what we have (assuming we re-sign Brendel) 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Id be super happy if we brought Payne in but i think he will be overpaid if he becomes a free agent.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not sure where we go, but I've made my desire for Jessie Bates clear. I'm not sure if he will get more than Marcus Williams last year and if he doesn't, that makes him affordable. Even if he gets a little bit more, his first year cap hit is likely not more than 6 million or so.  Would slot very nicely into that Charvarius type signing. 

I won't mind if they go big splash defensive line though (as long as it's a legit big splash). 

I also wouldn't mind going sort of half and half. Bring in Julian Love at less than Bates makes and then supplement him with signing a Fletcher Cox type if he wants to keep playing and get another shot at a super bowl. 

I don't think that there is anything on the interior offensive line that we would bring in over what we have (assuming we re-sign Brendel) 

I like the Davenport idea....I think the Jets may be releasing Lawson so that's someone we can look into signing.

Bates would be nice but just bring back J. Ward at a decent rate. As good as Ward is, I doubt he will be commanding a big contract on the market.

I really want to improve the DL and make it dominant. Won't be able to do so in the draft so getting a big time free agent will be our only option. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Bates would be nice but just bring back J. Ward at a decent rate. As good as Ward is, I doubt he will be commanding a big contract on the market.

I'm just assuming Ward not coming back is more his decision than the team's 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm just assuming Ward not coming back is more his decision than the team's 

100%. I assume Ward will not be back if another team offers him what he wants. 

It seems his relationship with Kyle is pretty strained and would only be back if everything else falls through for him.

The safety market is looking really good right now though, so that’s good.

59 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd take Thornhill over Bates personally but wouldn't be upset with either.

7 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I'd take Thornhill over Bates personally but wouldn't be upset with either.

Thornhill is just a worse player all around to me for the most part, so he's like the backup plan since he should be cheaper. Thornhill is a solid player though. If we go a step down with he or Love and then add something on the defensive line, I'm good with that too.