2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

17 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Sounds like McG is as good as gone. 

I’m 50/50 on it. I think some of his mistakes were overblown, but I don’t think he lived up to his draft position. I will remain optimistic for his replacement, we save money(hopefully) and pray that we don’t lose much.

I think the Niners are ready to move on, they now what he brings and hopefully they have thought out his replacement 

• Like 1

49ers won't get an upgrade at RT in the run blocking department in 2023. He's been the punching bag for when things go bad on the offensive line, especially in pass pro, but with how Shanahan wants to build his offense it's going to be hard to find a good run blocker like him so soon. But yeah, can't keep everyone. 

Great to see Jennings get tendered. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Sounds like McG is as good as gone. 

Not surprising. We really haven't paid any of our OL minus Williams as of late. Everyone else has been pretty much allowed to leave in free agency. Switching out Tomlinson for Banks worked out in our favor but not sure if McKivitz is the guy to replace McGlinchey but that's exactly what should be expected to happen. They really believe in replacing from within when it comes to the OL. 

I'm fine with it though. Not that I think McGlinchey sucks or anything, but he's not elite or close to elite so I rather go a little cheaper at that position and spend on the DL. We will need to take a few OL in the mid rounds and hope one of them hits. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not surprising. We really haven't paid any of our OL minus Williams as of late. Everyone else has been pretty much allowed to leave in free agency. Switching out Tomlinson for Banks worked out in our favor but not sure if McKivitz is the guy to replace McGlinchey but that's exactly what should be expected to happen. They really believe in replacing from within when it comes to the OL. 

I'm fine with it though. Not that I think McGlinchey sucks or anything, but he's not elite or close to elite so I rather go a little cheaper at that position and spend on the DL. We will need to take a few OL in the mid rounds and hope one of them hits. 

Tom Compton also did a fine McGlinchey impression in 2021. McGlinchey is a talented run blocker, but we kind of only draft and roster guys that profile as plus run blockers. Spencer Burford was a major plus run blocker in college - I've got faith he'll be better after a year in the system. Which leaves you with pass blocking. Where we'll probably get worse no matter who ends up there. But you aren't getting worse from a guy that you can always leave on an island, so the drop off won't be as big. Because of this, because we have a very high run rate and an even lower true pass set rate (due to the large amount of playaction) I'm all for moneyballing that starting spot. You've gotta have some spots on the roster where you are saving compared to the average. A place where your coaching staff protects guys in pass pro is a good place to start. We gotta get better with our secondary pass rushers, though. And hope (and try to ensure) that the quarterback position doesn't sink the battleship.

• Like 3

https://theathletic.com/4226466/2023/02/24/nfl-quarterbacks-s2-cognition-test/

If you have The Athletic, give this article a read. It's a good one full of really interesting information. 

Essentially, the S2 test is testing how fast pro athletes process information. For example, a blink of an eye is 100 to 150 miliseconds. This test has recorded some pro baseball players reacting to things in 2 milliseconds. 

Joe Burrow scored in the 97th percentile while at LSU. They say anything above 80th percentile is elite. Purdy was in the mid 90's. 

They also recently did a study on 27 starting QBs in the NFL and found that 14 of them have a score in the low 60's. All of those QBs have a career passer rating below 90. 

Purdy scored extremely high in 3 areas: Spatial Awareness, Distraction Control, and Depth Perception Speed. 

Here's Shanahan on Purdy: 

“I like when a play is there that guys aren’t scared to make it, they don’t hesitate, they don’t take a second look at it,” 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said at the time. “They let it rip and they worry about it after. A lot of guys who just guess do that too, so you have to find out whether they’re being aggressive — if they’re deciding then to do it — or if they’re deciding on Wednesday. But Brock has been very good with it. He can explain what he sees and that’s why we’ve got a lot of confidence in him.”

And finally, they mentioned Trey Lance. They said he scored well but not in the range of Purdy. If 80 is elite, we can guess Lance is somewhere in the 70 to 80 range. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Tom Compton also did a fine McGlinchey impression in 2021. McGlinchey is a talented run blocker, but we kind of only draft and roster guys that profile as plus run blockers. Spencer Burford was a major plus run blocker in college - I've got faith he'll be better after a year in the system. Which leaves you with pass blocking. Where we'll probably get worse no matter who ends up there. But you aren't getting worse from a guy that you can always leave on an island, so the drop off won't be as big. Because of this, because we have a very high run rate and an even lower true pass set rate (due to the large amount of playaction) I'm all for moneyballing that starting spot. You've gotta have some spots on the roster where you are saving compared to the average. A place where your coaching staff protects guys in pass pro is a good place to start. We gotta get better with our secondary pass rushers, though. And hope (and try to ensure) that the quarterback position doesn't sink the battleship.

Yep, every roster in the league has holes and you just have to manage that. Luckily for us, we still have QBs on their rookie deal so we can continue to pile up talent but even then, there's going to be a few areas where the team is not all that strong. Shanny's scheme already does a good job of protecting the OL but in pure drop back sets, that's where it can get exposed and next season will be no different. I really hope Burford is able to take a Bank type of leap in season two or someone like Poe or Zakekj breakout. You just have to rely on what you have in-house, especially with the lack of picks we have in the first couple of rounds. When you have a RB that makes the type of money CMC does, then you have to sacrifice elsewhere, and we are doing that offensively. We are paying a LT, WR and RB big bucks so that we put elsewhere on offense is not going to be all that much...and this does not even include how much we are paying on the defensive side of the ball. 

Still want to get a legitimate edge rusher or interior rusher. Houston would be clutch as he still is a very good pass rusher and won't be THAT expensive. Mack is someone I am keeping my eye out on as well and while Hargraves would be a great addition, I think someone else out bids us for his services. 

Should be an interesting couple of keeps upcoming! 

Just listened to Maiocco's pod he had Lynch on. Matt asked him what he was looking for in a Vet QB and said someone can come in and win with this roster. Felt weird idk maybe it's me but seemed like they are looking for a starter. It's possible they are expecting Purdy to not be ready by week 1 which seems obvious. But seems like they don't have faith in Trey to be able to win with. Just seemed very odd. Brissett might be a guy they target. 

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Just listened to Maiocco's pod he had Lynch on. Matt asked him what he was looking for in a Vet QB and said someone can come in and win with this roster. Felt weird idk maybe it's me but seemed like they are looking for a starter. It's possible they are expecting Purdy to not be ready by week 1 which seems obvious. But seems like they don't have faith in Trey to be able to win with. Just seemed very odd. Brissett might be a guy they target. 

Maybe I'm not looking deep enough into it, but I feel like you'd say that in just about every situation when bringing in a vet QB. With the state of the roster, its win-now mentality, and the fact that this team has a serious injury problem, yeah you need to bring in someone who could win a game or two. 

If Purdy has to start the year out on the IR or the PUP and Lance is your starter, you need a backup who can come in and win games if Lance goes down again or struggles. 

I think Brissett would be at the top-end of the AAV for a QB they'd be looking to bring in. I think someone like Dalton would be an attractive option as well. 

If we're looking low-end of the AAV spectrum, guys like Mike White or Nate Sudfeld could make some sense, too.  

25 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

When I say that there are just bad vibes surrounding Trey, this is kind of what I'm talking about. Even if that really isn't what he's intending, the fact that anyone can listen and their mind goes to that thought just reeks of bad vibes around Trey. The vibes are just so bad lol 

• Like 5

Is this draft class deep at certain positions?

Tight ends are very deep and there’s a lot of different types of tight ends. So you’ve got your pass catchers, you’ve got your blockers, you’ve got your guys who are well-rounded. And it’s a deep class. There’s just something for everybody there. So, tight end is universally seen as a deep class this year. And then defensive tackle, defensive end — pretty much the whole D-line is a good group.

https://theathletic.com/4265326/2023/03/01/49ers-combine-draft-adam-peters/?source=emp_shared_article

Interesting, but it looks like we will finally and rightfully take a TE in this year's draft. That is certainly needed with Kittle missing time every season and just not having anyone reliable behind him. So expect one of our 3rd round picks to be a TE and then obviously DL will be another position we tackle with one of our first picks.

For those that do mock drafts, adjust accordingly!!!!

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 3

Met with 

Boise State safetys JL Skinner and Tyreque Wilson

Cal safety Daniel Scott

FSU safety S Jammie Robinson

Penn St S Ji'Ayir Brown

Purdue LB Jalen Graham

WVU DL Dante Stills

Indiana LB Cam Jones

Tennessee Edge Byron Young

Gamecocks DT Zacch Pickens

Rice Edge Ikenna Enechukwu

Mizzou Edge Isaiah McGuire

Houston S Gervarrius Owens

USC defensive back Mekhi Blackmon

OregonSt DB Alex Austin

Iowa CB Riley Moss

at or before the combine according to various reports in Twitter.

Edited by AustrianNiner
  • Like 4