2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

12 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

They are also hearing the Niners are in on Mayfield. 

As for Ebukam? Good luck and we should be getting a good comp pick if he signs for 10M+ a year. 

Feel like if we wanted Mayfield, we would have put in a claim. I've mentioned Rudolph before as a guy who makes sense though because he likely wouldn't have an issue being a third string guy if Lance and Purdy are both healthy into the season

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GW21 said:

I look at him as being at the same level as Josh Johnson at this point in his career.

Johnson didn't even look like he took his prep seriously in his role. Have zero proof of that, yet I still feel the same seeing how he handled that situation he was put into. I'll take my chances with Hoyer not looking utterly terrified with hands shanking. Also, if he's with the team all throughout training camp, the season, compared to two months that will help even if it's marginal. Just being around the players. Johnson to his credit legit had only been around a few weeks. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

14 hours ago, N4L said:

If Lamar gets non-exclusive tagged, I would love to offer him a huge contract. I am not sure how it works given we don't have a first this year, but I would absolutely trade 2024 and 2025 firsts for a 25 year old unicorn. 

Adding Lamar to this offense would be unbelievably fun. Deebo CMC and Lamar?? Sheesh. 

Baker would be a real solid addition imo. I see no downside there. 

ultimately i think Lance/Purdy will be the QBs for this year. Brissett or someone similar as  a backup.

If we are going the new QB route, art of me agrees whole-heartedly, but most of me is worried that a guy who plays the way Jackson does will never stay healthy.. especially if he plays for us

Even though I don't like him off the field, I'd rather bring in Rodgers for a year as a mercenary and then hand the reins back to Purdy.. if the FO is out on Lance. Rodgers knows how to not get hit and has never had the cavalcade of weapons available in SF... I'm done caring about the future or wanting to build some pie in the sky dynasty again.. just gimme one title and I'm good

Edited by adamq

1 hour ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Johnson didn't even look like he took his prep seriously in his role. Have zero proof of that, yet I still feel the same seeing how he handled that situation he was put into. I'll take my chances with Hoyer not looking utterly terrified with hands shanking. Also, if he's with the team all throughout training camp, the season, compared to two months that will help even if it's marginal. Just being around the players. Johnson to his credit legit had only been around a few weeks. 

I just don't see it. Hoyer is going into his age 38 season and has never really been very good imo. I'd rather take a QB in the mid to late rounds, try to develop him, and pray that he doesn't have to play. 

We have Griese as our QB coach, a guy that has played in the NFL in a starting role and as a backup, if you are looking at this from the mentorship angle. 

10 hours ago, Forge said:

Feel like if we wanted Mayfield, we would have put in a claim. I've mentioned Rudolph before as a guy who makes sense though because he likely wouldn't have an issue being a third string guy if Lance and Purdy are both healthy into the season

Maybe it had to do with financials or that we already knew that he was going to be claimed before we had a shot? 

I'm pretty indifferent on Baker personally. I think the best route for us to take is to draft a mid to late round rookie and hope he doesn't have to see the field. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, P_locniners said:

I just don’t like Bakers attitude/personality and I don’t know if I would want that in a room with two very young QBs.

Baker definitely has talent, that has never been my issue with him,he just rubs me the wrong way and I don’t know if he is the veteran presence I want with our current QBs.

if it happens I won’t put up a big stink, but if we don’t sign him, I won’t be heartbroken at all

Baker's attitude is WAY overblown. Take it from a Sooner fan who watched him for 3 years and loved every minute of it--yes, that does mean I am biased. He's a guy who has had to work for every opportunity and never had any playtime given to him--he always earned it. He has rubbed many people the wrong way, but that's because he is very competitive, not the diva some think he is...

@Forge : You don't want Baker, but do want Rudolph?! Rudolph has proved nothing except being a jerk. Baker has helped his team to the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

@Forge : You don't want Baker, but do want Rudolph?! Rudolph has proved nothing except being a jerk. Baker has helped his team to the playoffs. 

I mean, this isn't anything close to what I said. 

Just now, Ninerholic said:

Mike Silver says Purdy is having surgery Wednesday 

6 months puts him on track for a Week 1 return at best. We probably play Week 1 on Sunday September 10th. Although IDK if Shanny will want to start a QB on Week 1 who didn't have a proper Offseason/TC

Lance likely starts week 1, but as Lynch likes to say, we'll need to insulate ourselves

I think Dalton would be the best case; he's still a decent QB but he's only been able to sign backup contracts recently with the Cowboys/Bears/Saints. Also wouldn't cost too much and has been pretty healthy his whole career 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Well, you didn't say you didn't want Baker, but you did say Rudolph makes sense for us...which makes no sense at all. The guy is a punk. I still say there is a reason Myles went off on him....

I'm shocked that the Oklahoma fan loves Baker and hates Oklahoma state product Mason Rudolph lol  

But yes, he does make sense because he's cheap and he's ostensibly a third string quarterback who can be a backup in a pinch.  He makes sense, Nick Mullens makes sense, etc etc. Until we get clarity on Purdy's injury situation suggesting otherwise, the thought is that he should be ready right around the start of the season or maybe a couple of weeks in. That means any QB we acquire is probably going to be a third string guy. That's perfect for a guy like Rudolph, Mullens, etc. Right now, until I hear otherwise on Purdy's injury (or the surgery continues to be delayed), I think the acquisition that makes more sense is a third string / back up type or a true backup QB (Case Keenum, Marcus Mariota, Andy Dalton)...not a high level, highly paid backup / fringe level starter  looking to be a starting QB again (Baker, maybe Wentz, etc) 

• Like 1

LOL 

This whole thing cracks me up. 

Will Lynch, at some point, place a call to seven-time Super Bowl winner Tom Brady, who announced his retirement for the second time – claiming it’s “for good” – on Feb. 1?

It’s a very good bet that Lynch will. Brady, 45, is a San Mateo native who grew up a diehard 49ers fan, and will be an unrestricted free agent. If S.F. is seeking a one-year solution before moving forward with Purdy and/or Lance, Brady still makes a lot of sense. Why not take a swing?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm shocked that the Oklahoma fan loves Baker and hates Oklahoma state product Mason Rudolph lol  

But yes, he does make sense because he's cheap and he's ostensibly a third string quarterback who can be a backup in a pinch.  He makes sense, Nick Mullens makes sense, etc etc. Until we get clarity on Purdy's injury situation suggesting otherwise, the thought is that he should be ready right around the start of the season or maybe a couple of weeks in. That means any QB we acquire is probably going to be a third string guy. That's perfect for a guy like Rudolph, Mullens, etc. Right now, until I hear otherwise on Purdy's injury (or the surgery continues to be delayed), I think the acquisition that makes more sense is a third string / back up type or a true backup QB (Case Keenum, Marcus Mariota, Andy Dalton)...not a high level, highly paid backup / fringe level starter  looking to be a starting QB again (Baker, maybe Wentz, etc) 

I have never NOT claimed to be biased....I have ALWAYS owned it. 😁

Okay, now that makes some sense. Still hate the guy and it has more to do with the incident than where he went to school. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I have never NOT claimed to be biased....I have ALWAYS owned it. 😁

Okay, now that makes some sense. Still hate the guy and it has more to do with the incident than where he went to school. 

I've never been a Rudolph fan. I thought he was basically undraftable when he came out and I didn't understand the hype at all. But that tier of player is what I think makes sense for the 49ers right now. That could change very quickly depending on Purdy's situation.