2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

1 minute ago, 49erscap said:

His deal is fully GTD, so releasing him saves nothing, we'd lose cap room, won't happen, maybe a trade, would save his base salary which is like $2.7M or so.

That's what I figured. He's pretty much guaranteed to be on the roster next season but you make him earn playing time and don't just hand him the starting gig. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Forge said:

McG is a guy that I think has the least likely chance to come back. I do think Moseley will be back...I had a big long post about it earlier, but I just think it makes sense for both parties. 

But McG is going to get real money. It's going to be close to the 20 million mark on the open market if not more. 

I think we have seen how well the offense can still function without him too much to pay him that kind of money. I think Brunskill will be the guy that they put a higher priority on. 

Yeah he'll probably outpriced, but I think Shanahan with his love for the run game will make a push to try, and retain him. But obviously the 49ers ain't got a boatload of cash, and McG "sadly" will have to do what's best for him, and his family. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's what I figured. He's pretty much guaranteed to be on the roster next season but you make him earn playing time and don't just hand him the starting gig. 

I would be putting interior DL pretty high on my list of needs, hopefully some day 3 hits come through 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John232 said:

Idk if it’s been brought up yet, but I’d consider cutting bait on Knlaw. Trade him for a mid round pick to a team flush with picks but I  need of talent/big swing dudes.

Kinlaw is not worth the cap hit at all

I think he'll probably get another year, but at this point I am not sure they are picking up his option, and that is really saying something. His option is like 9 million on a year where the cap will likely be 235 - 240 Million. You have to be pretty bad for the team not to pick up that option. 

14 hours ago, John232 said:

I would be putting interior DL pretty high on my list of needs, hopefully some day 3 hits come through 

Kalia Davis has the prototypical size and explosiveness to be a player in this system. Really excited to see what we have in him. But I agree, need to beef up the interior. Low key a big loss for us was Ridgeway. 

So the two in house replacements for Ryans IMO:

Daniel Bullocks

Cory Undlin

The Fangio possibility is obviously intriguing and I think he would love to coach this talented bunch, but will York pay him what the Dolphins are rumored to pay him? As in the highest paid DC in the league? The fact that Fangio has not signed the contract with the Dolphins yet tells me he is at least thinking about the Niners gig. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, John232 said:

Honestly, I wouldn't. We're going to have Armstead, Kinlaw (for better or worse), and Davis back. Givens will be back on an RFA tender and I'd bring back McGill to compete for a spot as well. You have 4 IDL coming back and couple of cheap guys that could be nice depth. I really wouldn't spend much else here with EDGE, RT, and Safety more of a need. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Honestly, I wouldn't. We're going to have Armstead, Kinlaw (for better or worse), and Davis back. Givens will be back on an RFA tender and I'd bring back McGill to compete for a spot as well. You have 4 IDL coming back and couple of cheap guys that could be nice depth. I really wouldn't spend much else here with EDGE, RT, and Safety more of a need. 

I think they will almost certainly add 3-4 more interior defensive linemen this off season. Especially when you consider the guys who play inside and out. Mostly depth, but I would wager at least one of them designed to play somewhat of a prominent role. A guy like Davis we don't even know will make the roster so hard to count him for anything more than roster fodder. 

33 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think they will almost certainly add 3-4 more interior defensive linemen this off season. Especially when you consider the guys who play inside and out. Mostly depth, but I would wager at least one of them designed to play somewhat of a prominent role. A guy like Davis we don't even know will make the roster so hard to count him for anything more than roster fodder. 

I'm not saying to ignore it, I just don't think we spend a ton of money there or a make a splash acquisition to the group. They've shown they can get production out of cheap guys, so I think it'd be wise to try and maximize that again. I'm all for bringing back McGill, Ridgeway, Dwumfor, and signing someone like Deadrin Senat to play early downs as a run defender. 

We have Lynch, Peters, Shanny guiding the team & stars like McCaffrey, Deebo, Kittle, Williams, Bosa, & Warner. Even our 2nd tier players are still really good - Aiyuk, Armstead, Greenlaw, Mooney, Hufanga.

We'll restock our depth/positions like FS, RT, DT etc with re-signings, bargain bin FA's, the draft & UDFA as we always do. Probably find some 2nd/3rd tier players there. 

I'm hopeful that Jackson, Gray, Burford, Womack, Davis & 1 of Zakelj/Poe can progress. Going off the past, 1-2 of these guys usually make a nice jump every offseason 

All this stuff makes for a good offseason. 

Now, if we could add Brady/Fangio? That would become a top tier offseason IMO

• Like 4

Yep as @49ersfan I would be happy with an offseason like we had last year.. one big splash move, and then focus on the draft and some cheap depth pieces. There is a ton of DL available, I would love to add a few guys who have been labeled disappointments (@forge mentioned Ferrell) and let Kocurcek do his thing.

For the splash play, could be Tom Brady or Jessie Bates or just being back Jimmie to just play FS

Edited by adamq
  • Like 2