2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Man great news on Trey! So this means he can work on his mechanics and not just spend the entire time recovering from his broken foot. Who said he was going to be eat until July? 

That's what it sounds like to me as well. It sounds like he'll get to work training around the beginning of March and about 4 months of solid training time. 

I also watched Purdy's interview and he said if it's the 6 month course, then he'll have about 3 months of rest and rehab, then he'll be able to start a throwing program. The throwing program will ramp up over the course of another 3 months, then he'll be ready for full practice. 

So for Purdy, it could rest and rehab until around the end of May, then a throwing program to ramp his arm up until around mid-July beginning of August. He'd be coming into the beginning of pre-season, so he'd be behind but not that far behind. 

A little more optimistic than the doom and gloom I think most of us were feeling the last two days. 

3 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Could Chris Harris be a good hire? Clearly Fangio and Wilks are 1A and 1B, right? 

Wilks would be interesting. He's been a DB coach almost his entire college/professional coaching career, but has only been a full time DC for two years - 2017 and 2019. The 2017 Panther were pretty good, but the 2019 Browns were a mixed bag. Obviously, the talent here would be significantly better than either of those two teams. 

Does anyone know what kind of scheme he runs?