Bears hire Kevin Warren as new CEO/President

beardown3231

Truthfully if you align what we know is important to George & the McCaskey family right now there might be no better candidate on paper than Kevin Warren...

Has served on the work place diversity committee...we know George is massive on that.

Has been a COO and oversaw the building of a new stadium...we know that is a massive part of next year and beyond.

Is reportedly tight with Rodger Goodell...never a bad thing to have the trust of the commissioner.

Has worked for two of the other franchises within the division and was with Minnesota for 14 years so understands a lot of the inner workings.

Knows the area of the country as he is currently serving as Big10 commissioner so hopefully has the ears of a lot of people around us. 

Understands negotiating given he has just got USC & UCLA to the Big10 along with a massive new TV deal so understands the financial side of the business.

Already lives in greater Chicago...is a philanthropist...on a ton of boards of trustees...just seems like a stand up guy and we know over the years we have always valued (at times too highly) high character guys from the top of the organisation to the bottom. 

I am not sure how anyone beats him out unless the Big10 use some of that new money to blow him away with an offer.

• Like 2

A guy who’s been around the league for decades, no prior connection to the Bears and was pivotal in the building of US Bank Stadium. I’m in. 

A lot of people on Twitter pointing to canceling the 2020 Big Ten season as a red flag. Justin Fields led the charge to play so I imagine Warren has a lot of respect for QB1.  I don’t see it as an issue. 

34 minutes ago, Docknstein11 said:

A guy who’s been around the league for decades, no prior connection to the Bears and was pivotal in the building of US Bank Stadium. I’m in. 

A lot of people on Twitter pointing to canceling the 2020 Big Ten season as a red flag. Justin Fields led the charge to play so I imagine Warren has a lot of respect for QB1.  I don’t see it as an issue. 

Given it was the middle of a pandemic which no one around the world really knew how to deal with I am not going to ding him for it...

Obviously no one wants to lose out on games and hindsight is 20/20 but I struggle to see it as a red flag.

• Like 2

Why Kevin Warren is a strong candidate to be the Bears’ next team president - CHGO (allchgo.com)

Why would Warren be an ideal candidate for the Bears?

This is relatively easy to answer. Before joining the Big Ten, Warren was the Vikings’ chief operating officer and handled the business, legal and operational aspects of building U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, which is now one of the NFL’s crown jewel facilities. Furthermore, he also was involved in the design and construction of the stadium. Warren also played the same role in building the team’s outstanding practice facility in Eagan, Minnesota, which includes a real estate development called Viking Lakes. That last point is notable, because the Bears’ development plans around their proposed new stadium in Arlington Heights includes an extensive real estate development. If he joined the Bears, Warren would instantly become the most qualified individual in the organization to lead the team’s stadium project. 

Warren once served as an NFL player agent and holds a Super Bowl ring as the St. Louis Rams’ vice president of football administration. With the Vikings, Warren restructured the organization and is credited for building workplace diversity and creating opportunities for women. That was a large focal point for the Big Ten when the conference announced his hiring in 2019. 

This is where there’s a notable connection to Bears chairman George McCaskey. While with the Vikings, Warren served on the NFL’s Workplace Diversity Committee with McCaskey.

The bold part is something that I didn't come across when looking into Warren at first but it is of massive importance given the McCaskey's don't have other business interests like most owners...if they can get into the real estate game and develop the land around the stadium it could generate millions in sales and rentals and provide an additional revenue stream which along with a first class stadium that could attract all sorts of events would put us on par with just about any other franchise when it comes to spending power.

• Like 3

Kind of embarrassing in a way that not one of McCaskey/Halas family since George Halas really does or contributes much of note.

They have to hire other people to do just about everything.   They have had a lifetime or at least decades of means and opportunity to gain football and/or business skills and they have mostly squandered it from what I can tell.  

If it wasn't a monopoly this would have all crumbled in my opinion.

It is almost impossible fail from a financial standpoint with a high demand product that you have a monopoly on.  

This is why monarchies usually suck.  The first guy is pretty good, but his sons or grandchildren come up in luxury and without struggle.   Struggle builds character.

The bible says this in multiples places.  You have trials in life for reasons and purpose.   Nobody wishes for trials or hardship, but it is important.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Kind of embarrassing in a way that not one of McCaskey/Halas family since George Halas really does or contributes much of note.

They have to hire other people to do just about everything.   They have had a lifetime or at least decades of means and opportunity to gain football and/or business skills and they have mostly squandered it from what I can tell.  

It is almost impossible fail from a financial standpoint with a high demand product that you have a monopoly on.  

This is why monarchies usually suck.  The first guy is pretty good, but his sons or grandchildren come up in luxury and without struggle.   Struggle builds character.

The bible says this in multiples places.  You have trials in life for reasons and purpose.   Nobody wishes for trials or hardship, but it is important.  

The highlighted is something that is completely untrue and frankly I'm shocked and appalled that you would suggest this. How my times has George told us how pissed off Virginia is! I mean, come on!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bigbear72 said:

The highlighted is something that is completely untrue and frankly I'm shocked and appalled that you would suggest this. How my times has George told us how pissed off Virginia is! I mean, come on!

Also remember the time they thought they hire Dave McGinnis. The McCaskeys try real hard. I wonder if Virginia did drugs while she was pregnant with them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Put that on a Bears shirt!

It's pretty darn rare to see family built businesses, especially ones with a relatively small management team* stay strong generationally, like I'm genuinely shocked when businesses past gen 2 are still making it.  Always kind of sad when you see them sold, bankrupt or slowly get ****ty.  Almost everyone I know that started their own business says "GTFO" when their little kids say they're going to run the business someday.  

*compared to almost any other "business" with similar value outside of drugs, sports teams like the Bears are TINY when it comes to the people in charge. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 3:20 PM, RunningVaccs said:

Put that on a Bears shirt!

It's pretty darn rare to see family built businesses, especially ones with a relatively small management team* stay strong generationally, like I'm genuinely shocked when businesses past gen 2 are still making it.  Always kind of sad when you see them sold, bankrupt or slowly get ****ty.  Almost everyone I know that started their own business says "GTFO" when their little kids say they're going to run the business someday.  

*compared to almost any other "business" with similar value outside of drugs, sports teams like the Bears are TINY when it comes to the people in charge. 

Depends how much money is involved and how kids are raised.  How important their traditions are, etc.  

Many families run restaurants for generations.  I just ate at a friends 5th generation Italian restaurant last month and his daughter works there now at 16 and her and her husband will be running it in 20 years no doubt.

My in laws are third generation into their cement business now and my bro in laws young son works there now out of high school.   He will take over one day I am sure.

Once you get big rich and kids spend youth taking luxury  vacations etc., getting brainwashed at University or whatever and not working things tend to start going sideways. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 6:02 PM, Madmike90 said:

Truthfully if you align what we know is important to George & the McCaskey family right now there might be no better candidate on paper than Kevin Warren...

Has served on the work place diversity committee...we know George is massive on that.

Has been a COO and oversaw the building of a new stadium...we know that is a massive part of next year and beyond.

Is reportedly tight with Rodger Goodell...never a bad thing to have the trust of the commissioner.

Has worked for two of the other franchises within the division and was with Minnesota for 14 years so understands a lot of the inner workings.

Knows the area of the country as he is currently serving as Big10 commissioner so hopefully has the ears of a lot of people around us. 

Understands negotiating given he has just got USC & UCLA to the Big10 along with a massive new TV deal so understands the financial side of the business.

Already lives in greater Chicago...is a philanthropist...on a ton of boards of trustees...just seems like a stand up guy and we know over the years we have always valued (at times too highly) high character guys from the top of the organisation to the bottom. 

I am not sure how anyone beats him out unless the Big10 use some of that new money to blow him away with an offer.

As morbid of the timing of this but another thing to add to this list is that Warren was the representative for the purchase of the Vikings by Zygi Wilf back in 2005...with Virginia McCaskey turning 100 years old today could the rest of the family be interested in someone who has been through the process of a sale of an NFL franchise before? If things are going to fracture we need to avoid a Broncos like situation and perhaps Warren is the guy for that.

• Like 1