How many more chances does Ron get to hit on a QB?

turtle28

Ron has had 6 chances to find a starting QB, how many more chances?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How many more chances with Ron get to find a franchise QB?

• One
    • Two
    • Threw
    • None

We all know that Ron’s bugaboo has been his inability to find a franchise QB as a HC except for Cam Newton who was gift wrapped to him by John Fox in 2010.

As HC of Washington he’s gone though a #1 pick he inherited which he and Scotty gave up on a month into his first season as Ron’s QB. Alex Smith, who while limited bc of his leg injury is arguably the best QB Ron has had as a HC not named Cam Newton & Ron never wanted Alex to play & couldn’t get rid of him fast enough. Then, 2 Commanther QBs, neither proving they’re anything more than back ups.

Then, a failed signing of Ryan Fitzpatrick a 38-year old journeyman back up who he paid to be a starter. And lastly, it sure looks like the Wentz era is not going to end up going as Ron had prayed it would.

That’s 6 try’s at a starting QB in 3 seasons as HC.

How many more chances does he get? My feeling is it’s just one more chance to hit on a QB & if it doesn’t work out with Carson maybe coming back next year or another QB we acquire then our new owner will fire Ron after one year.

What say you?

Edited by turtle28

How has he attempted to obtain a starting QB 6 times?  I count two. He signed Ryan Fitzpatrick to be our starter last season and then traded for Wentz.  All other players he either inherited or were brought in to be backups (including Heinicke, he just started a lot of games out of necessity). 

Very interesting topic. 

I will disagree that he has missed on 6 QBs since he has been here, which is only 3 years. IMO he has brought in 3 QBs, Kyle Allen, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Carson Wentz. 

Every other QB is either inherited or signed out of necessity. Those QBs were "picked" by trading for or signing in FA. 

I am still cautiously optimistic about Sam Howell, who could also count as "hand-picked" but it's too early to tell since they haven't given him any gametime. 

To answer the question, I think he will get as many chances as he needs till he is fired. I think new ownership will use other metrics when deciding whether he keeps his job however.

57 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

How has he attempted to obtain a starting QB 6 times?  I count two. He signed Ryan Fitzpatrick to be our starter last season and then traded for Wentz.  All other players he either inherited or were brought in to be backups (including Heinicke, he just started a lot of games out of necessity). 

That’s fair. He still has had 6 starting QBs & failed every time.

43 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Very interesting topic. 

I will disagree that he has missed on 6 QBs since he has been here, which is only 3 years. IMO he has brought in 3 QBs, Kyle Allen, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Carson Wentz. 

Every other QB is either inherited or signed out of necessity. Those QBs were "picked" by trading for or signing in FA. 

I am still cautiously optimistic about Sam Howell, who could also count as "hand-picked" but it's too early to tell since they haven't given him any gametime. 

To answer the question, I think he will get as many chances as he needs till he is fired. I think new ownership will use other metrics when deciding whether he keeps his job however.

Well I guess my question is how many more chances do you think Ron gets until he’s fired by our new owner?

I say 1 bc the new owner will know Ron has failed to find a top 10 QB in just first 3 years as our HC.

23 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Howell is likely his last shot since there's no way they're picking a QB in this draft. I also can't imagine Wentz is on this roster next year if the new owner takes over before his option has to be picked up. 

I don’t know what to exactly think about Wentz & next year. Ron may want to give him another chance bc Wentz got hurt this year, so he’ll want to evaluate him more. 

Sadly, I think the only way Howell is starting next year is by injury to the vet or 2 vets in-front of him.

I want Howell to start week 1 next year. I want him to start now but I don’t trust that Ron will do it.

52 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Very interesting topic. 

I dont think Kyle Allen was brought in to be a starter. 

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t know what to exactly think about Wentz & next year. Ron may want to give him another chance bc Wentz got hurt this year, so he’ll want to evaluate him more. 

Sadly, I think the only way Howell is starting next year is by injury to the vet or 2 vets in-front of him.

I want Howell to start week 1 next year. I want him to start now but I don’t trust that Ron will do it.

There is no way a new owner is allowing him to pick up Wentz option. No chance.

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I dont think Kyle Allen was brought in to be a starter. 

We gave up resources to get him (pretty sure we traded a 5th). That's why I included him and the potential inclusion of Sam Howell who is an unknown. 

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Well I guess my question is how many more chances do you think Ron gets until he’s fired by our new owner?

I say 1 bc the new owner will know Ron has failed to find a top 10 QB in just first 3 years as our HC.

As I said, I don't think that will be the metric on which Ron would be fired for. I think it really depends on the compensation used to get "the next QB" if it determines his employment. If he gives up "a Russell Wilson" haul and it doesn't pan out, that makes it an easy decision. 

I don't think any of the QB moves that he has made this far have been so bad that he should be fired for them though. So that's why I was curious on the topic. 

15 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

There is no way a new owner is allowing him to pick up Wentz option. No chance.

It will be done before we have a new owner. I don’t expect this sale to go through for a while. They were reporting March at the earliest. I’m guessing it doesn’t happen until the summer.