Official 2023 RB Thread

tyler735

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I've had Chris Rodriguez as my number 2 for some time.  I think he's a bell cow.

Charbonnett has been my number 3, and I'll be shocked if he's not somewhere around the second or third RB taken.  Great as a pass catching option, big, and fast.

I just always struggle evaluating prospects, for right or for wrong, who are looking at supposedly a top tier QB prospect and RB prospect and an anemic offense. They were 116th in total offense this past fall. 

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I just always struggle evaluating prospects, for right or for wrong, who are looking at supposedly a top tier QB prospect and RB prospect and an anemic offense. They were 116th in total offense this past fall. 

There's your big problem IMO.  Kentucky has a bad OL, and Rodriguez has missed some games for off the field stuff, so he's probably not gonna go super high, even if the NFL is more in line with me than they are with the rest of the draft community.

But, I noticed Rodriguez when I was first watching games to see Will Levis, and I came out of the games I watched thinking that Rodriguez is what made that offense go.  He only played in 8 games this season, but still put up 904 yards, which isn't as bad as it seems just looking at stats.  And in 2021, he rushed for 1,272 yards, so he put up the numbers you expect more in a full season.  But really, Kentucky faced a lot of stacked boxes when I was watching them, and Rodriguez's Mississippi State tape is very impressive.

He doesn't bring much as a receiver, but he's a strong back that can be a solid workhorse, even when there's not much else you have on an offense IMO.

22 hours ago, Daniel said:

I've had Chris Rodriguez as my number 2 for some time.  I think he's a bell cow.

Charbonnett has been my number 3, and I'll be shocked if he's not somewhere around the second or third RB taken.  Great as a pass catching option, big, and fast.

Rodriguez is a brute. Love his game. I would suspect that he has a very successful and short NFL career.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2023 at 9:31 AM, tyler735 said:

Yeah it certainly seems that once you get past Robinson and Gibbs there is a ton of variation of RB rankings this year. My current top 5 probably is much different than most currently have them ranked. 

I'd currently rank them:

1. Bijan Robinson

2. Jahmyr Gibbs

3. Devon Achane

4. Tyjae Spears

5. Mohamed Ibrahim

This isn't the order I think they will be drafted, but I think when all is said and done a guy like Mohamed Ibrahim will be one of those guys we come back to in a year and wonder why he wasn't drafted earlier. Someone will get a steal on day 3 with him. 

Dang looks like NFL GM’s might be onto my favorite sleeper at RB this year. I really like Ibrahim

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah he’s very good. Prime Doug Martin without the receiving chops. 

I feel Ibrahim is a more instinctive runner than Martin, but I can see some similarities. Suppose that would a trade off with Martin’s versatility being better. Ibrahim runs so physical for his size. It seems like many just see his listed size and make assumptions about him. Love watching his game cut ups with the sound on, you can hear the pads popping on so many of his runs.

It’s a kind of a strange comparison, but the way Ibrahim approaches the game reminds me of the offensive version of Bob Sanders. Obviously they played different positions. Both were a bit undersized for their positions, but absolutely fearless on the football field and never shy away from contact while still possessing good quickness and natural instincts for the position.

Some of my favorite plays of his:

Edited by tyler735

15 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Don’t care about his age. If I can get 5-6 good years out of him that’s all I care about. 

I wouldn’t expect 5-6 years out of a good young RB prospect. Expecting it out of a guy that is 25 years old is really optimistic. I’d be happy to get 3-4 years out of him.