Coach's Halftime Thoughts - Week 12 (Turkey dinner edition)

Dallas94Ware

What makes you so sure they havent made adjystments? Broaddus went very in depth on this and everything Ive said, he basically repeated -

Doubling Jeffery for a team not known to double a WR, is an adjustment. Not a coaches fault two players let one guy out muscle them for a catch in the endzone.

Using Cole on a rub route to free Dez, for a team that has never run a rub before, is an adjustment. Not Garretts fault Dez decided to run right into the Db and trip up with Cole like the 3 of them were going for a group hug.

Using Noah Browns burst around the edge, thats an adjustment.

Playing Byron in man coverage over a RB to keep from being gashed again, thats another adjusment, which failed because Byron took a terrible angle and Ajayi ran for another 20+. 

Shifting Hitchens to Mike and Jaylon to Will when they knew it was going to be a Blount run, is another adjistment. What happened, though? Jaylon got washed out by Kelce and Hitch blew the tackle. 

There were plenty of wrinkles and adjustments made if you look for them. Losing doesnt mean you didnt adjust, man. Making adjustments doesnt make you win. And adjustments are not made in a 10 minute time frame in the locker room, they are made on the sideline. The coordinators/playcallers and head coach shift focus and roles to fit the attack plan of the other team on the fly every game. However, this can be a demise as easily as a saving grace.

Ever coached a game? I have. And it isnt easy to shift your gameplan. At ND, I remember the coordinator telling my HC that such a requested adjustment was a bait move by the other team. That they were running that play in hopes we would move our safety to help, and burn us the moment we do. He ended up being right, as we moved the safety and immediately there was a 60+ yard pass and score - and me as a lowly offensive assistant could only watch and learn.

Adjustments need to be made evrry game. You wont win any any level unless you change things up on the fly. But players still have to execute, and constantly staying on your heels adjusting everytime an opponent beats you with something is no way to win a game either. You cannot let your opponent dictate to you how you play. See: Dave Campos Cowboys if you need proof of that. 

On 11/24/2017 at 9:20 AM, Dallas94Ware said:

When three separate defenders miss a tackle on the same player, theres a problem.

That is the single biggest problem I see with the team this year.  In fact I haven't seen tackling that bad since the 1989 implosion season.

19 minutes ago, TVScout said:

That is the single biggest problem I see with the team this year.  In fact I haven't seen tackling that bad since the 1989 implosion season.

Greg Schiano, he was a total Dbag and made my life miserable when I coached under him. BUT he did say one thing that will stay with me.

"When more than one [player] misses a tackle they could have made, you need to find out if the other players that good or if your guys are just p*$$ys." 

So lets review the missed tackles on Keenan Allen. He isnt a strong and imposing man that scares you when you try to tackle. He isnt a very shifty guy. I mean he is no Barry Sanders, despite the team making him look like one. So are they all just whimps?Maybe.

But I think some of it is also the angles in which the players took to him, the inexperience of the players trying to nab him, and, yeah, juwt being a bit of a p---- and not grabbing the freaking guy and holding on until someone comes to help. 

Keenan Allen is a good receiver. He is not Randy Moss. He is not Jerry Rice. He shouldnt be breaking three and four tackle attempts. If theres something wrong in Browns, Jones, Heaths etc head that made them make gutless attempts like that, they need to have a gut check and man up or get off the field.

Archived