BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

It's painful that you don't consider that unacceptably small.

I struggle with it, but i don't think its unacceptable in today's NFL.  If he was a little bigger, he'd be the no question #1 pick.  He checks every other box.

6 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I struggle with it, but i don't think its unacceptable in today's NFL.  If he was a little bigger, he'd be the no question #1 pick.  He checks every other box.

Name every starting NFL quarterback ever who has been successful under 6 feet. Use whatever definition of success you want that is more stringent than "started games in the NFL."

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Name every starting NFL quarterback ever who has been successful under 6 feet. Use whatever definition of success you want that is more stringent than "started games in the NFL."

Drew Brees and Russell Wilson were right around the 5'11" mark.

I mean, I would love if there was a Burrow or Lawrence-caliber prospect, but Bryce is the closest thing.  He has everything they do except the size.  And if I'm gonna spend #1 on a QB, I'd rather gamble on him being able to overcome a size deficiency instead of a processing or accuracy or work ethic deficiency.

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Drew Brees and Russell Wilson were right around the 5'11" mark.

I mean, I would love if there was a Burrow or Lawrence-caliber prospect, but Bryce is the closest thing.  He has everything they do except the size.  And if I'm gonna spend #1 on a QB, I'd rather gamble on him being able to overcome a size deficiency instead of a processing or accuracy or work ethic deficiency.

If Bryce Young was 6-2 and played for Penn State, we'd be talking about him as an intriguing Day 2 prospect. He's not a complete package even without the size.

I mean, how many sub 6 foot quarterbacks have ever been drafted before Round 2 in the modern era? They’re essentially outliers. And for the record, I’ve always been a measurables matter guy at the QB position.

Give me at least 6’2 please.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I mean, how many sub 6 foot quarterbacks have ever been drafted before Round 2 in the modern era? They’re essentially outliers. And for the record, I’ve always been a measurables matter guy at the QB position.

Give me at least 6’2 please.

Before round 2?  Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray...which are not good company to be in.

I'm not saying I'm entirely comfortable with it.  I am saying that 1.  I need a QB and 2. given the choice between him and Stroud(cause those are the only two realistic options at #1), I am right now more comfortable with Bryce's size than I am Stroud's inability to operate outside of structure.

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

Before round 2?  Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray...which are not good company to be in.

Correct, that’s my point. It was essentially impossible pre-analytics, but then again I’m more of a believer in the overly simplistic Riley system with Big XII defenses there.

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

I'm not saying I'm entirely comfortable with it.  I am saying that 1.  I need a QB and 2. given the choice between him and Stroud(cause those are the only two realistic options at #1), I am right now more comfortable with Bryce's size than I am Stroud's inability to operate outside of structure.

I don’t disagree, albeit the Georgia game will be an interesting read given how dominant he was off platform and out of the pocket to see if that continues or was an outlier.

Just now, MWil23 said:

Correct, that’s my point. It was essentially impossible pre-analytics, but then again I’m more of a believer in the overly simplistic Riley system with Big XII defenses there.

I don’t disagree, albeit the Georgia game will be an interesting read given how dominant he was off platform and out of the pocket to see if that continues or was an outlier.

I hate putting too much stock into one game, but Stroud looked like a totally different QB in that regard against UGA.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Yet Young struggles inside of structure.