Week 18 Gameday Thread (Win And In Edition) - Green Bay Packers (8-8-0) vs. Detroit Lions (8-8-0)

Striker

9 minutes ago, packerstk7 said:

Listening to Rodgers press conference it sounds like it’s us or retirement. 

He seems to want to return, but he also seems to think Gute or Murphy might want to go young after the disappointing finishes of the past few years.  They most definitely should go young, but they don't have the guts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zycho32 said:

You know, there's truly only ONE GM in the NFL that would've made the ballsy move to get rid of AR.

And he's the one who got rid of Russ.

There are more that wouldnt have given him the contract and control that we did.

He failed at the critical juncture.  Couple that with the poor drafting and he needs to be replaced.

Did Quay Walker shove a member of the Lions training staff?  On primetime?  Less than a week from the Bills training staff heroically reviving a deceased player on the field?  Is this real or just fantasy?  I mean I saw it, but I still can’t believe it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Howler said:

Lack of execution. You can't have missed blocks, drops and fumbles. Game was lost in the first half. And then the defense wilted because the Lions had their running game intact because of the score. 

While all certainly contributed to the loss. Rodgers losing the QB duel to Goff was the most significant reason. 

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He seems to want to return, but he also seems to think Gute or Murphy might want to go young after the disappointing finishes of the past few years.  They most definitely should go young, but they don't have the guts.

It sounded more like he wants to hang it up. But that’s just me analyzing it and reading into it. He doesn’t seem like a guy who wants to go to another team and show he still has it. Which would be admirable if he just retires. Not often guys that good play for one team anymore. I’d like the picks if we could trick some team into a 1st +.

Listen....this is one game.  An important game yes...but just one.

But, is the franchise going in the right direction.  Start with Murphy, then Gute, then LaFleur.  

Are their decisions sound or not?  

It should all be reviewed this offseason. But let's do it without emotion.  Let the facts speak on each.

Their is a lot of good things here, but some bad too. 

I have my gut impressions, but I can let this sit for a week or two and then come back to it.

What I will say is...under Wolf, you could see the accountability.  Bad players got cut or were replaced with better players both during the season and in the offseason. It was this continued improvement that gave me hope that we were becoming a good team. I don't see that now as much, but times are different as we have a salary cap.

Can we honestly say that we see improvement in this team right now.  If not, why not.  What can be done to correct it. Your either getting better or getting worse, and this team this year got worse.

Just now, Sasquatch said:

Did Quay Walker shove a member of the Lions training staff?  On primetime?  Less than a week from the Bills training staff heroically reviving a deceased player on the field?  Is this real or just fantasy?  I mean I saw it, but I still can’t believe it.

Weird deal .. I think he had some concern for the player (Swift, a former teammate) that was being intended too, but when  he got nudged he lost his head and shoved the guy.  It was so stupid .. got to wonder if Walker is a mental midget.  There's really no wondering  .. he's a dip****.

3 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

The OL failed for most of this season. 

I think this is a good discussion to be had when we get into full offseason mode.  I think that there are a few different aspects to it though.

1.  Was making Stenovich the OC and Butkus the OL coach too much too soon?

2.  Were we expecting more from Newman, Hanson, Rhyan, Jenkins on the right side, or were they just going to weather the storm?

3.  What do you do with Nijman? He is a RFA.  Do Tom and Walker and Jones make him expendable, likely for no compensation?

4.  Are Myers and/or Runyan guys that we should be active in trying to replace?

I really feel that the OL was not what we expected, especially at the beginning of the season, and that helped the team dig a hole that was too large to climb out of. It did seem to get better late in the season, but is that fixable?  I think that the OL getting better also seemed to coincide with Rodgers getting a little healthier and Watson becoming healthy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hitnhope said:

There are more that wouldnt have given him the contract and control that we did.

He failed at the critical juncture.  Couple that with the poor drafting and he needs to be replaced.

Oh he totally did. But I'll dispute your contention about there being others who wouldn't have caved in had they desperately needed a big name QB and were staring down the barrel of an ultimatum(which I have to presume was made by AR during the contract negotiations, because otherwise we've been living in clown world all this time). That's in a vacuum, mind you, because several of them already had secure situations at QB to varying degrees, or just simply lacked the firepower to acquire him in the first place.

21 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

That’s not true anymore.

Rodgers against Dallas, and now Love against Philly.

Rosgers just had more time.

Rodgers vs Dallas was way different than Love vs Philly. It wasn’t even close. Love had a really good drive and a solid 2nd drive. Rodgers brought us back from a blowout in Dallas. Bigger sample size. And even though Love looked like he had good command of the offense, the feeling I got from his Philly performance was nowhere near the feeling received from that game in Dallas. But maybe that’s just me idk. 

3 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

He was heated in the moment but I don’t even know what he was doing standing over the player that long after the play. No excuse but hopefully the youngster grows up from that. He had a sideline incident earlier this year. Got to get your head on straight. 

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

This is noteworthy. This is exactly what @Outpost31and I have been clamoring for for years.

Trade your flailing, expensive QB. 

and still ******* make the playoffs.

we should have been them, but even better because it's future of Love vs Geno.

Think this decision by Gute is gonna lead to his eventual firing in a few years

His only real hope is giving Love the opportunity next season and hope he's legit, and this will have to be done with a roster that'll be bleeding talent due to FA/cuts to try and manage their terrible cap situation in the immediate future.

• Like 2