Week 18 Gameday Thread (Win And In Edition) - Green Bay Packers (8-8-0) vs. Detroit Lions (8-8-0)

Striker

37 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Thoughts 

•it seems unsurprising the Packers put forth one of the saddest rosters I’ve seen from them and Packers fans all flock to blame Rodgers almost exclusively. The win streak to get back to where you ended up was very impressive and unexpected. 
•chefj is the greatest threat to packer fan life since drunk driving and Jeffrey Dahmer

•Quay attacking training staff a week after the bills training staff heroically saved a life is HILARIOUS and one of the dumbest things I’ve seen 

•the idea that Jordan Love is worth a 1+2 in incredible to me too  

•JFK was certainly killed by two guns. The first shot went through his neck, the second lopped off the right side of his head. Two apparently totally different angles

This is some silly stuff.

Quay ATTACKING training staff. This is the problem with people context. He shoved the dude a wee bit, cause he was checking on his own friend. Tirico even said it later int he broadcast that's why Wyant came over also. NO excuse it was stupid but ATTACKING. 

No need to comment on the rest of this terrible.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He's going to get a substantial suspension I bet.  Probably 4-6 games.

I think you're reading way too much into it, we merely pushed the guy a tad bit. How much did Adams get for pushing a guy to the ground. Come on man.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Anyone know what the heck Doubs was thinking out there?  Looked like he was sleep walking and just going through the motions.

No fire.  No emotion.  Like he was playing scared.

Watson, though.....has just gotten progressively better.  Dude now has confidence.  Clearly we need another one to go with him, I'm hoping it is Doubs, but I'm not sure.  

I think the confidence issues Watson was having early in the season had fully transferred to Doubs by the end of it.

Expectations for Doubs were probably always inflated based on his camp/pre-season and GB's need for someone to step up at the position.  He's not fodder, but I don't view him as a long-term starter either.

6 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

I think you're reading way too much into it, we merely pushed the guy a tad bit. How much did Adams get for pushing a guy to the ground. Come on man.

Good point on the Adams thing .. I don't know what he got for a fine.  Slap on the wrist.  Problem is that Walker has done this twice now. 

35 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

This is some silly stuff.

Quay ATTACKING training staff. This is the problem with people context. He shoved the dude a wee bit, cause he was checking on his own friend. Tirico even said it later int he broadcast that's why Wyant came over also. NO excuse it was stupid but ATTACKING. 

No need to comment on the rest of this terrible.

It was a dumb move. But h is apology and conversation with the trainer was the right move today. Totally owned up to it.

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

MLF was calling a time out.  Rasul didn't want to let the kicker get a practice kick off.  Why he slapped back at the guy that pushed him is anyone's guess.  Pretty dumb move though.  I thought that it should have been a false start.  The LS seemed to move the ball a lot and it was not at all fluid.  But that may or may not have been after the time out was granted and the whistle blew.  

Thanks Jerk.  That better explains the bizzare strolling between the lines and twirling the ball.  And that the penalty wasn't for twirling the ball, but was for some subsequent stupid nonsense.  Rasul, you've just strolled past five crouching linemen ready to snap.  Did you think pushing somebody was smart and nobody would notice?  

But seems really dumb on LaFleur to waste a timeout there.  It's a close game, it never occur to you to want timeouts for the last 2 minutes?  Wasting a timeout there seems like terrible TO management, IMO.   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I like Quay Walker and what he brings.  Hopefully, this was a learning year for him.  IMO, the Packers need more of his attitude and approach.  Needs to be smarter.

I agreed with much of what Collingsworth said about him last night.  He is a see it, hit it linebacker who for right now needs things kept simple for him to thrive. Right now he sees things as scouts would say "through a straw". Over time however, his vision and experience is going to allow him to see things a little quicker. He is a beast once he fires forward, very physical. Our current defensive scheme is really not set up to allow him to do that as he has to cover several gaps. But I think his upside.

3 hours ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

This might be a stretch but has anybody revisited the decision to let Williams walk and re-sign Jones

I think you may be over thinking this because Jamaal is a really easy guy to like and he had a ton of TDs this season.  Jones has out rushed Williams in 5 of their 6 seasons, a higher yards per carry in each of those seasons, more rushing TDs, and more rushing TDs 4 of 6 seasons with one tie.  Jones also had more receiving yards in all but their rookie season, and has more receiving TDs in 4 of the 6 TDs.

We essentially replaced Jamaal with AJ Dillon.  Dillon has a higher career yards per carry and both average about 5 TDs per season rushing.  Their receiving numbers are pretty similar as well.  But Jamaal makes 4.3m this season while AJ makes 1.4m

note that all three seem like pretty cool dudes.

Jones:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneAa00.htm

Williams:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillJa06.htm

Dillon: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DillAJ00.htm

• Like 2

Also, I'll finish my thoughts with this: watching LaFleur actually call that jet sweep to Lazard on 4th down was one of the most dumbfoundimg moments in my history of attendance at Lambeau. He should donate his game salary to charity  just for that play. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I hate the shots we see of the play from tv.  Watson looked to have 3-4 yards on every QB on those "go" type routes all game long.  But I couldn't see where the safety was back there.  But I know they only had one, because there were 10 guys on the screen at the snap.

We need a "Vante type receiver (possession/route runner) to pair with Watson.  It honestly should be Doubs, but he was just non existent last night.

Remember, Davante didn't exactly tear the league apart as a rookie either.  In fact, Doubs and Adams rookie seasons are very, very similar.  

Adams:  66 tgt 38 rec 446 yds 3 TD

Doubs:  67 tgt 42 rec 425 yds 3 TD

Give the kid a chance.  He was a 4th round rookie.

MLF came in as an offensive mind, and the play-caller, etc..  I'm recalling back in McCarthy days, that he kind of went back-and-forth on playcalling.  

I don't have Game-tape and study/analyze the plays after, nor do I have the coaching smart for that.  

But I wonder whether MLF, despite his reputation, just really isn't a good play-caller?  Doesn't really scheme people open? 

I wonder if MLF doesn't need to hire a smart, intelligent play-caller who will design new plays and take over the play-calling both?  MLF may be overloaded trying to manage all of the other head-coach responsibilities plus design plays and call plays.  

Just seems like some defenses have pretty much cased our offense, and kinda know what's coming.  Detroit's secondary was super thin, and has been bottom-of-league all season.  But MLF's schemes didn't seem to have guys very wide open for easy completions.  

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I think you may be over thinking this because Jamaal is a really easy guy to like and he had a ton of TDs this season.  Jones has out rushed Williams in 5 of their 6 seasons, a higher yards per carry in each of those seasons, more rushing TDs, and more rushing TDs 4 of 6 seasons with one tie.  Jones also had more receiving yards in all but their rookie season, and has more receiving TDs in 4 of the 6 TDs.

We essentially replaced Jamaal with AJ Dillon.  Dillon has a higher career yards per carry and both average about 5 TDs per season rushing.  Their receiving numbers are pretty similar as well.  But Jamaal makes 4.3m this season while AJ makes 1.4m

note that all three seem like pretty cool dudes.

Jones:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneAa00.htm

Williams:  https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillJa06.htm

Dillon: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DillAJ00.htm

Jones is definitely a special player with the ball in his hands. Outside of what a healthy McCaffery does in SF, I don’t see too many guys who fit the offense like he does. The main issue is that he is small, he’s got plenty of fight for his size but the laws of physics mean he can lose the ball and, over time,  is at higher risk for injury. Still, if we weren’t in cap hell, he’d be a no brainer to bring back next year even with the hit. 

Dillon has filled in well for Williams but it is frustrating because he clearly has another level he could reach but it starts with him getting quicker, seeing the lane faster, and not dropping straight forward passes. He didn’t have his best year with a slow start. I still think he could make another jump in production but RB shelf life is short.