General Offseason Discussion

RaidersAreOne

This season was one hell of a rollercoaster. We've had more ups and downs than most fanbases in any sport over the past 20 years, but this one may be the most difficult of all...

... with that said, we can officially talk about the offseason with our official elimination. 

giphy.gif

Edited by RaidersAreOne
  • Like 1

I know it's such a small sample size, but Stidham impressed the hell out of me today. Against THE best D in the league and getting his first career start, he threw for 365 yards and 3 TDs (Both picks were extremely unlucky and I don't put them all on him). 

For the first time in 9 years we had an actual look into what a different QB besides #4 looks like behind Center. I have to say it got me excited. Seeing a QB extend plays consistently, take off when needed, and keep his eyes downfield instead of flinching at the first sign of pressure was beyond refreshing.

A lot can change beyond now and the draft but I am all for re-singing Stidham and having him compete with a round 1/2 rookie imo. 

• Like 6

Pros:

- Stidham looked great, and a huge improvement over Derek Carr. With Carr, I guarantee we have 17 points and he’s sacked around 5 times. Stidham’s escape ability was impressive, and he was very aggressive with his throws. His aggressive style of play is not something we see often from Carr at all. This why I have told people Carr is easily replaceable. Good defenses annihilate Carr because he plays it so safe against a Top Ranked D. And Carr is so conservative in the redzone. Stiddy was very aggressive in the redzone, it was so nice to see. I do not think Stidham is the long term answer, I want to trade up for Stroud or Young… but Stidham to start the first 5-8 games of 2023 is fine with me. 

- Davante Adams is a beast

- Renfrow and Waller looked like their old selves. Completely re-motivated with a new QB. 

- Don’t care what anyone says, this game assured my faith in McDaniels for year two. Stidham is not a starter in this league and McDaniels helped make him look quite good. It just seems people have made up their mind on the guy no matter what. Sure, the play calling was suspect at times, but for the most part Stidham doesn’t look that good in ANY other scheme. 

- Carlson, best kicker in the NFL behind Tucker. 

- Josh Jacobs is a monster amongst men

Cons:

- Defense made some crucial redzone stops and surprised at times, but still had a really underwhelming game. There are a lot of things we need. SS, OLB, DT, Outside CB…

- Stadium was half 49er fans. Crowd noise was loud every 3rd down we had. This is the problem with Las Vegas instead of Oakland. Visiting fans always visit to party, sometimes taking away HFA. 

7 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Seeing a QB extend plays consistently,

We haven’t seen this since Jason Campbell. Carr and Carson Palmer are two of the worst play extenders I have ever seen. It was so nice seeing Stidham extend so many plays. 0 sacks against the best defense in the NFL!!!

• Like 3

Our D needs an entire overhaul. Crosby is an all-pro but beyond that we have little to nothing. Hobbs was totally exposed today and although I think he's a good NCB, it appears he isn't a true lockdown #1 CB like we were hoping. Chandler Jones looked a lot better the 2nd half of the year but should purely be a pass-rushing specialst at this point in time. Even Moehrig (who I was SUPER high on) hasn't really done a ton.

I expect 5-7 new starters on D next year.

• Like 1

Just now, BayRaider said:

0 sacks against the best defense in the NFL!!!

That's remarkable. Bosa is going to win DPOY, Ryan will definitely be a HC next season and San Fran is just loaded on D in general, yet Stidham avoided 3-4 sacks where Carr 100% would have taken.

It really opened my eyes to how vital a mobile QB is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Our D needs an entire overhaul. Crosby is an all-pro but beyond that we have little to nothing. Hobbs was totally exposed today and although I think he's a good NCB, it appears he isn't a true lockdown #1 CB like we were hoping. Chandler Jones looked a lot better the 2nd half of the year but should purely be a pass-rushing specialst at this point in time. Even Moehrig (who I was SUPER high on) hasn't really done a ton.

I expect 5-7 new starters on D next year.

Outside of Crosby, the entire D is replaceable. Crosby is a beastttt. The rest, not so much. 

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

It really opened my eyes to how vital a mobile QB is.

Not “mobile” but a guy who can extend plays. Stidham is not a mobile QB, but he can escape. Carr does not extend plays. He is a damn statue back there with really bad pocket presence and really bad pocket awareness. Carr has always been a Bottom 3-4 play extender every year in the NFL among the 32 starters. He’s really atrocious at it. 

Our sack total would he cut by at least 40% with almost any QB not named Derek Carr. 

Edited by BayRaider

Ziegler’s charter for the offseason is simple and straightforward: 

1. Get our QBOTF (would like to sign Brady and trade up to 2 to draft Young or Stroud) 

2. Shore up the offensive line 

3. Increase the talent at all three levels on Defense 

We have quite a bit of draft capital and may get some more high picks with Carr’s departure. It’s extremely important that Ziegler fills as many holes as possible in FA so that we can be flexible come draft time and not reach for positions of need. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Ziegler’s charter for the offseason is simple and straightforward: 

1. Get our QBOTF (would like to sign Brady and trade up to 2 to draft Young or Stroud) 

2. Shore up the offensive line 

3. Increase the talent at all three levels on Defense 

We have quite a bit of draft capital and may get some more high picks with Carr’s departure. It’s extremely important that Ziegler fills as many holes as possible in FA so that we can be flexible come draft time and not reach for positions of need. 

I would buy BOTH a Brady and Stroud jersey. 

I was impressed with Stidham. He can definitely run. He made some great throws and the team had a boost around him. The defense at this point isn't cutting it, just holes left and right on that side of the ball. The thing overall is the team didn't get the win. Hopefully he's the guy and they can bring in more quality players on defense. 

• Like 2

- Stidham was tremendous against an elite D. Part of it was being an unknown and personal heroics, but the scheme opened up players and he took advantage. Will it be sustainable next week against another great offense? If so I can live with him as a bridge QB while we develop a rookie. Brady isn't coming here with this defense or O-line so that's not even a thought for me.

- Defense needs an overhaul and I'd love to hear an argument for why Graham should be brought back. Crosby is our only consistent player.  Perryman shines but can't play for more than half a season.  Moehrig has regressed (Hobbs has as well but I blame it on injury). 5 blown leads of 10+ points speaks for itself. 

- Got zero help today in the draft order. Hoping Seattle makes the playoffs so they'll settle on Geno. Would leave only HOU and Indy ahead of us needing a QB

I think this team can improve leaps and bounds with the addition of 3-4 of the right guys. Both lines are soft, and secondary is dying for a ballhawk. Hobbs is a solid nickel but he’s shown nothing more this year. Hes been cooked on numerous accounts this year.   All levels of the defense could use some new blood. The only person I have some faith in out of this new regime is DZ. I think he might have some juice, i hope he can identify the right guys going forward. If Stiddy keeps this up against KC, I’d be comfortable rolling with him and drafting a qb early to sit behind him. We should have a good amount of cap space to play with so here’s to hoping DZ can work his magic. 

• Like 1