General Offseason Discussion

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I love how you view me as some kind of McDaniels/Graham homer when all my argument has ever been is let's see how they perform when they have talent to work with. I'll be first in line next season if I don't see marked improvement.

The Oline and injuries robbed us of seeing what the offense could've truly been, though we saw glimpses. The defense never had a chance. The wasted resources there under Gruden robbed that unit of any starting level talent and poor depth.

We were lying to ourselves trying to pretend guys like Averette, Brown, Nichols, etc would be a net positive. We knew how this was going to go.

The coaching left a lot to be desired and the talent sucks. Both things are true.  

Agreed. It seems like there is little appetite for well reasoned, logical takes in the discussions on this forum. Either you are supposed to blindly blame our struggles on JMD and PG without any regard for the mess they inherited or blindly blame Carr without regard for the mismanagement of resources during his time here. The reality is they are all being scapegoated for the awful job that Gruden and Mayock did with 5 1st round picks in two years. 

At times there is great discussion on this forum but most of the time it’s bickering about semantics between two parties that both have at least partially valid points. 

Edited by jpaulthe1st
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Agreed. It seems like there is little appetite for well reasoned, logical takes in the discussions on this forum. Either you are supposed to blindly blame our struggles on JMD and PG without any regard for the mess they inherited or blindly blame Carr without regard for the mismanagement of resources during his time here. The reality is they are all being scapegoated for the awful job that Gruden and Mayock did with 5 1st round picks in two years. 

At times there is great discussion on this forum but most of the time it’s bickering about semantics between two parties that both have at least partially valid points. 

Agreed.... it's so black and white with people around here on every issue. 

Supporting a coach or player really set things off with some. All I want is some consistency. I want to see if a coach and FO can actually build out their vision and turn around decades of mediocrity. And so far Davis has been quick to fire every coach which just leads to more roster turnover and resets. 

JMD/DZ might not hit. Odds are not in their favor even currently. But I will support them as they try to build this in their image. Not like their is a history of good football and roster building here. We just went through arguably the worst period of draft resources and FA spending ever. It's going to take a while to repair the damage. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Imagine having to learn a new scheme every year instead of growing into one. Good defenses play fast, you can’t play fast if you’re unsure of your assignment. I think this was the problem with Moehrig this year, he should be better in year two. Continuity is key. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Geezy said:

Imagine having to learn a new scheme every year instead of growing into one. Good defenses play fast, you can’t play fast if you’re unsure of your assignment. I think this was the problem with Moehrig this year, he should be better in year two. Continuity is key. 

I'm conflicted. We saw guys like Amik and Ferrell grow this year. But then others like Hobbs and Moehrig regress. Hobbs you can use the injury excuse. Moehrig, I don't know what to make of.

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I'm conflicted. We saw guys like Amik and Ferrell grow this year. But then others like Hobbs and Moehrig regress. Hobbs you can use the injury excuse. Moehrig, I don't know what to make of.

Amik and Ferrell went from Costco workers to fringe roster guys, Amik got burnt a ton and Ferrell showed 0 pass rush skills again. 

I've heard from multiple people in the building that Moehrig is super emotional and gets down on himself.

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Amik and Ferrell went from Costco workers to fringe roster guys, Amik got burnt a ton and Ferrell showed 0 pass rush skills again. 

I've heard from multiple people in the building that Moehrig is super emotional and gets down on himself.

Worst trait you can have as a DB

So, I read a tweet that if CJ didn't declare, Carrs stock will skyrocket.  I didn't realize it but Stroud has until the 16th to declare but he hasn't leading many to speculate they he's returning to Ohio St.  This could be good news and bad news for us all in one.  

5 hours ago, Totty said:

So, I read a tweet that if CJ didn't declare, Carrs stock will skyrocket.  I didn't realize it but Stroud has until the 16th to declare but he hasn't leading many to speculate they he's returning to Ohio St.  This could be good news and bad news for us all in one.  

Unless the NIL money is unreal and is enticing him to chase a Nat'l Championship or he simply doesn't want to live and play for Houston or Indy, I can't see him staying. 

He's a potential #1 overall pick. He has nothing to gain going back.

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Unless the NIL money is unreal and is enticing him to chase a Nat'l Championship or he simply doesn't want to live and play for Houston or Indy, I can't see him staying. 

He's a potential #1 overall pick. He has nothing to gain going back.

Ohio State's boosters are reportedly looking to offer him a massive NIL package to return.

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Ohio State's boosters are reportedly looking to offer him a massive NIL package to return.

I think Stroud sticking around could improve the market of teams that are willing to trade for DC. On the flip side, it could cost us a talented player in the draft. 
All in all, I see it as a net positive for us. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

I think Stroud sticking around could improve the market of teams that are willing to trade for DC. On the flip side, it could cost us a talented player in the draft. 
All in all, I see it as a net positive for us. 

If Stroud returns to school it will definitely drive Carr's value up for sure. Hondo said we might get a 1st.

On 1/9/2023 at 12:33 PM, big_palooka said:

Agreed.... it's so black and white with people around here on every issue. 

Supporting a coach or player really set things off with some. All I want is some consistency. I want to see if a coach and FO can actually build out their vision and turn around decades of mediocrity. And so far Davis has been quick to fire every coach which just leads to more roster turnover and resets. 

JMD/DZ might not hit. Odds are not in their favor even currently. But I will support them as they try to build this in their image. Not like their is a history of good football and roster building here. We just went through arguably the worst period of draft resources and FA spending ever. It's going to take a while to repair the damage. 

Ziegler is doing a decent job so far. His approach to research allocation is very thoughtful. This draft will be very telling. With Champ Kelly in the building, they should hit a home run.

I think his biggest mistake was letting Quinton Jefferson go for a pretty modest deal and signing Bilal Nichols in his place. If Jefferson was on the team, some of those 4th quarter losses could have gone the other way.