Week 17 SNF Steelers @ Ravens

AngusMcFife

47 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

This team doesn't have it. I had hope for a playoff run but jesus it's hard to believe in this team right now. This staff is a joke. 

This is who we are. Only constant in 15 years of Harbaugh is not knowing a 4th quarter lead we couldn't blow. Took the Joe Flacco heater of a century to avoid that fate in 2012 and even then we still nearly choked it away. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

13 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Playoff machine has Bengals at 6 and Chargers at 5 if they both are 11-6 according to the ESPN playoff machine.

Interesting. Just looking at common opponents:

CIN.  LAC
Mia     w      w
Atl       w     w
Cle.    L/w   w
Ten.     w     w 
KC.      w     L/L

So by my count Cincy would be seeded ahead of Chargers due to 5-1 record vs 4-2 record vs common opponents. 

EDIT: Of course, I'm an idiot. Chargers would have more conference wins if they win vs. DEN. Well that's a bunch of work for nothing. 

Edited by AngusMcFife
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

This is who we are. Only constant in 15 years of Harbaugh is not knowing a 4th quarter lead we couldn't blow. Took the Joe Flacco heater of a century to avoid that fate in 2012 and even then we still nearly choked it away. 

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Can you imagine finishing the season with your starting QB not being injured? I simply can't.

Losing 16-13 against an abysmal Steelers team while our team showcases the same flaws we've had since week 3 is just quite amazing. It's insane watching this team fail the same way every single week.

Yeah. I got wild backlash on here during the string of like 3-4 losses through week 6 or 7 or whatever it was for pointing out that a team that continually loses like that (blowing 4th quarter leads) is an indicator of what type of team we were going to be this year, and that cincy was the team to beat in the division. 

At the time everyone just yelled “DVOA” and “Ravens are still Vegas favorites to win the division” and “when you think about it these losses actually don’t even matter” at me but it’s almost like football is played on a football field and what a team does on that football field dictates what type of team you are. The Ravens have been showing us this is who they are all year. It is what it is whether people wanted to accept that or not

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

Losing to the Steelers doesn’t concern me. Not sure why people are so upset. Tyler Huntley is JAG status. If we score 20 points in that game we win.

Lamar hasn’t been a miracle worker this season, but Lamar seems to always start the season off balling. He’s had 5-6 weeks off by the time he plays and teams will probably be looking over film of Huntley running this offense.

I’ve got a feeling we can catch some teams slightly off guard with our offense come playoff time. They’ll forget how explosive Lamar can be as a passer and we’ll sneak a couple deep.

The defense held the Steelers from scoring twice to end the game and I suspect they will continue to hold most offenses under 20 points and if they’re not it’s probably because offenses are being aggressive and we’ve got guys like Peters, Williams, and Hamilton that are all ballhawks that will likely be getting the offense additional possessions.

Our WR weapons are better than they were the last time we saw Lamar what with Watkins, Jackson, and Robinson. The biggest concern I have is practice time between Lamar and Isabella on those jet sweeps, I could see that leading to an issue at some point in the post season.

I think with Lamar leading this offense we’ll be scoring 20-24 points and with this defense, as long as they don’t suddenly collapse, I think that’s enough that we have a chance.

I don’t think we can win a Super Bowl with these weapons, but I think we can probably make the AFCCG with them.

3 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Losing to the Steelers doesn’t concern me. Not sure why people are so upset. Tyler Huntley is JAG status. If we score 20 points in that game we win.

Lamar hasn’t been a miracle worker this season, but Lamar seems to always start the season off balling. He’s had 5-6 weeks off by the time he plays and teams will probably be looking over film of Huntley running this offense.

I’ve got a feeling we can catch some teams slightly off guard with our offense come playoff time. They’ll forget how explosive Lamar can be as a passer and we’ll sneak a couple deep.

The defense held the Steelers from scoring twice to end the game and I suspect they will continue to hold most offenses under 20 points and if they’re not it’s probably because offenses are being aggressive and we’ve got guys like Peters, Williams, and Hamilton that are all ballhawks that will likely be getting the offense additional possessions.

Our WR weapons are better than they were the last time we saw Lamar what with Watkins, Jackson, and Robinson. The biggest concern I have is practice time between Lamar and Isabella on those jet sweeps, I could see that leading to an issue at some point in the post season.

I think with Lamar leading this offense we’ll be scoring 20-24 points and with this defense, as long as they don’t suddenly collapse, I think that’s enough that we have a chance.

I don’t think we can win a Super Bowl with these weapons, but I think we can probably make the AFCCG with them.

I personally think our defense is going to get exposed in the playoffs against a Cin/Buf/KC type team.

Quite frankly we’ve played dog crap passing offenses the last month or so and that’s inflating our opinion of the pass D imo. And even with that, when borderline competent passing teams have had to pass against us the last month or so (4th quarter in Jacksonville, last drive last night against the Steelers), they’ve had no problem whatsoever moving it on us through the air. The pass rush disappears and teams are finding open guys downfield, whether that’s against Stephens, Peters, or Hamilton.

I don’t have any faith that this defense can hold a KC/BUF/CIN under 24 points in the playoffs 

15 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I personally think our defense is going to get exposed in the playoffs against a Cin/Buf/KC type team.

Quite frankly we’ve played dog crap passing offenses the last month or so and that’s inflating our opinion of the pass D imo. And even with that, when borderline competent passing teams have had to pass against us the last month or so (4th quarter in Jacksonville, last drive last night against the Steelers), they’ve had no problem whatsoever moving it on us through the air. The pass rush disappears and teams are finding open guys downfield, whether that’s against Stephens, Peters, or Hamilton.

I don’t have any faith that this defense can hold a KC/BUF/CIN under 24 points in the playoffs 

Peters wasn’t the same coming off the ACL. I doubt we see him or Campbell back until the playoffs.

Its taken Gus and Dobbins time to get back and I suspect Peters with having this much time off will be the best we’ve seen of him all year. Campbell might actually come back next week to get sack#100 against the pass heavy Bengals (and once he gets it we’ll probably shut him down).

So I think judging our pass defense off of what Brandon Stephens looks like isn’t an accurate representation of what things could look like with a less banged up Peters with Hamilton in the nickel.

Idk I feel you’re overrating just how good some of the other AFC Contenders truly are in comparison to this squad. I’m not afraid of Cincy or Buffalo with Allen playing through that injury. We can shutdown their run game to make them more one dimensional too.

Mahomes and the Chiefs are the only squad I’d like to avoid if at all possible and that’s simply because I feel Mahomes will go down as the GOAT.

Edited by diamondbull424

19 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Losing to the Steelers doesn’t concern me. Not sure why people are so upset.

Because the Steelers are not a good team and we're a "playoff team"? I mean, that should be pretty obvious. Tyler Huntley is a very capable backup (or so we thought), and plenty of teams are winning, or at least scoring points, with their backup QB's. It's not losing to the Steelers that bugs me (well, it is), it's the fact that we continue to trot out this pathetic offense week-in and week-out without any sort of improvement and Harbaugh always just shrugs it off as "We need to be better". NO **** JOHN.

Tyler Huntley is JAG status. If we score 20 points in that game we win.

But we didn't, and we haven't been able to score 20 points since Jacksonville. The offense, which goes beyond Huntley alone, is totally broken.

Or, more realistically, Lamar comes back to a completely broken offense and is rusty and our offense continues to struggle.

Wait, so you're saying that by losing Duvernay we've somehow improved our weapons? I would strongly disagree, even with the addition of Jackson (who has done nothing, btw).

You are way more optimistic than I am. Our defense, for how strong it's been, still cannot hold a 4th quarter lead and we're facing awful passing teams. This defense going against Josh Allen, Joe Burrow and Patrick Mahomes with a hobbled Marcus Peters and no real pass rush is going to obliterated.

• Like 1

Just now, diamondbull424 said:

Peters wasn’t the same coming off the ACL. I doubt we seem him or Campbell back until the playoffs.

Its taken Gus and Dobbins time to get back and I suspect Peters with having this much time off will be the best we’ve seen of him all year. Campbell might actually come back next week to get sack#100 against the pass heavy Bengals (and once he gets it we’ll probably shut him down).

So I think judging our pass defense off of what Brandon Stephens looks like isn’t an accurate representation of what things could look like with a less banged up Peters with Hamilton in the nickel.

Idk I feel you’re overrating just how good some of the other AFC Contenders truly are in comparison to this squad. I’m not afraid of Cincy or Buffalo with Allen playing through that injury. We can shutdown their run game to make them more one dimensional too.

Mahomes and the Chiefs are the only squad I’d like to avoid if at all possible and that’s simply because I feel Mahomes will go down as the GOAT.

My thing is why should we expect Peters to look better all of a sudden? Like you said it looks like the ACL injury has really affected him, and now he’s going to be coming off another injury. I don’t see him coming back and magically being restored back to pre-ACL Peters just because he’s been out with a calf injury the last 2-3 weeks

Agree to disagree about the strength of the other AFC passing games. When I watch Cincy and Buffalo and KC it looks like they’re playing a completely different sport than teams like the Falcons and Panthers and Browns who we’ve shut down in previous weeks

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Yeah. I got wild backlash on here during the string of like 3-4 losses through week 6 or 7 or whatever it was for pointing out that a team that continually loses like that (blowing 4th quarter leads) is an indicator of what type of team we were going to be this year, and that cincy was the team to beat in the division. 

At the time everyone just yelled “DVOA” and “Ravens are still Vegas favorites to win the division” and “when you think about it these losses actually don’t even matter” at me but it’s almost like football is played on a football field and what a team does on that football field dictates what type of team you are. The Ravens have been showing us this is who they are all year. It is what it is whether people wanted to accept that or not

C'mon we can look up what was said then, the low point of our season record-wise was after the Giants game. What I said that those losses doesn't matter because I was very confident we would still make the playoffs and that you could quote me on that week 18. I was confident that those advanced metrics indicating our team strength vs our future schedule were more predictive that close game outcomes. You refused to make a claim we could actually come back and quote now and only said that we "could" miss the playoffs, but "the state of our division" still meant you could see "a path to the playoffs".

The Bengals are stronger than I predicted they would be at this point, but I think I was also consistent in saying the division isn't that important to me. Our elite home field advantage is long gone, and hasn't helped in the playoffs for a long time. 

I also said in other statements that prediction was valid: "as long as Lamar doesn't miss more than a quarter of the season". So it turns out I wasn't optimistic enough about this team, since we easily made the playoffs despite Lamar already missing more than a quarter of the season. I also said we should expect an actual bad loss (which I defined as a game we weren't competitive in) and that wouldn't shake my stance because those games happen. That game still hasn't happened. Hopefully, I'm wrong about that one.

4 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

C'mon we can look up what was said then, the low point of our season record-wise was after the Giants game. What I said that those losses doesn't matter because I was very confident we would still make the playoffs and that you could quote me on that week 18. I was confident that those advanced metrics indicating our team strength vs our future schedule were more predictive that close game outcomes. You refused to make a claim we could actually come back and quote now and only said that we "could" miss the playoffs, but "the state of our division" still meant you could see "a path to the playoffs".

The Bengals are stronger than I predicted they would be at this point, but I think I was also consistent in saying the division isn't that important to me. Our elite home field advantage is long gone, and hasn't helped in the playoffs for a long time. 

I also said in other statements that prediction was valid: "as long as Lamar doesn't miss more than a quarter of the season". So it turns out I wasn't optimistic enough about this team, since we easily made the playoffs despite Lamar already missing more than a quarter of the season. I also said we should expect an actual bad loss (which I defined as a game we weren't competitive in) and that wouldn't shake my stance because those games happen. That game still hasn't happened. Hopefully, I'm wrong about that one.

Here’s why those losses matter, though.

If we don’t blow just 2 of those 5 games we’re playing week 18 with a home playoff game against a team like NE or MIA in mind. If we win 3 of those we’re fighting for a first round bye. It’s why the flippant statements like “we’re still going to make the playoffs so i’m not really concerned about x loss” were always ridiculous. Seeding matters in the playoffs. Matchups matter in the playoffs. Those losses always mattered, regardless of any galaxy brain attempt to dismiss them.

Not caring about failing to capitalize on multiple opportunities during the season to host multiple playoff games or get a first round bye by blowing those games during the season is the exact type of complacent attitude that is a microcosm of what’s happened to the Ravens the past few years.

Agree to disagree. Those blown games mattered then, and they certainly matter now as the playoff picture begins to form

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Here’s why those losses matter, though.

If we don’t blow just 2 of those 5 games we’re playing week 18 with a home playoff game against a team like NE or MIA in mind. If we win 3 of those we’re fighting for a first round bye. It’s why the flippant statements like “we’re still going to make the playoffs so i’m not really concerned about x loss” were always ridiculous. Seeding matters in the playoffs. Matchups matter in the playoffs. Those losses always mattered, regardless of any galaxy brain attempt to dismiss them.

Not caring about failing to capitalize on multiple opportunities during the season to host multiple playoff games or get a first round bye by blowing those games during the season is the exact type of complacent attitude that is a microcosm of what’s happened to the Ravens the past few years.

Agree to disagree. Those blown games mattered then, and they certainly matter now as the playoff picture begins to form

If you think we are going to get exposed against Buff/KC/Cincy, then why does seeding matter, we aren't avoiding more than 1 of them if the team wants to get to the SB. I also don't think this a strong enough team to have much hope of a SB run. That's not where my expectations are. But, I still want to see them get a shot against a heavyweight. Beating the Jags, NE, Mia... for 1 playoff win isn't really a step up from what we did in 2020 season. I want to see them steal a game against a top team in the playoffs to feel like the season was a success. So, I'm not sad about making sure we get one of those games to see what happens. I'm fine with being at Buffalo first round.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

If you think we are going to get exposed against Buff/KC/Cincy, then why does seeding matter, we aren't avoiding more than 1 of them if the team wants to get to the SB. I also don't think this a strong enough team to have much hope of a SB run. That's not where my expectations are. But, I still want to see them get a shot against a heavyweight. Beating the Jags, NE, Mia... for 1 playoff win isn't really a step up from what we did in 2020 season. I want to see them steal a game against a top team in the playoffs to feel like the season was a success. So, I'm not sad about making sure we get one of those games to see what happens. I'm fine with being at Buffalo first round.

Because while I agree that i don’t personally think this team is strong enough for a SB run, there have been teams in the past that I thought that about that ultimately did, and IMO our chances are much better of doing that with a first round game against a team like NE/MIA than a team like CIN/BUF/KC. If you get one win who knows what other upsets will happen that round and what that win could potentially do for the confidence of the team. I’d rather not have to face one of those top teams until the 2nd round or beyond rather than the first. It’s just simple self preservation tactics - you always want the path of least resistance. Yeah BUF/KC/CIN may be better than us but who’s to say a team like LAC with the game breaking talent to at least matchup with them in a shootout (unlike us imo) couldn’t upset them in a one game playoff. That’s not out of the realm of possibility imo