The New QB Thread: Who will be the Raiders QB next season?

RaidersAreOne

Who will be the Raiders QB next year?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders starter in 2023

• Derek Carr
    • Tom Brady
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Baker Mayfield
    • CJ Stroud
    • Bryce Young
    • Will Levis
    • Other (Please Specify)

1 hour ago, Justwinning said:

If Stidham can put together another solid game against KC then I’m all in to have him as the bridge QB with a chance to be the guy long term. He knows the ins and outs of McDaniels system and showed a lot of intangibles Vs SF. Plus, he will be cheap so Ziegler can focus on spreading that money around to build up the OL and defense.

Talent is there and it’s not like he was a complete rando. He was a highly touted recruit in college.

💯💯

Stidham was also projected 1st round QB going into his final year at Auburn.

Signing Stidham at between 10 to 15 Mm could be a bargain a year from now. 

15 hours ago, Steins Gate said:

The best that I think the Raiders are going to get is a 2nd round pick for Carr. Carr will have his pick of the QB needy teams and they know that the Raiders HAVE to trade him.

If 5 needy teams want him they will have to outbid the other not knowing what other teams are offering.

1 minute ago, bucksavage1 said:

There’s also the factor that Carr is gotta accept a trade. The outbidding  could potentially happen in FA too

Yes it's on Carr whether we get something or not, my point is if he OKs a few teams we won't get lowballed. Him going to FA is even worst for those teams obvious it kills us too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Yes it's on Carr whether we get something or not, my point is if he OKs a few teams we won't get lowballed. Him going to FA is even worst for those teams obvious it kills us too. 

Something tells me from David Carr’s interview that Carr won’t agree to any trades forcing us to cut him

Edited by bucksavage1

9 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Something tells me from David Carr’s interview that Carr won’t agree to any trades forcing us to cut him

Something tells me he might retire so the Raiders aren't proven right about his failures in cold weather games, inability in the redzone the pressure to prove the Raiders wrong will bust him he's not built like that.

Edited by raidr4life

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

Something tells me he might retire so the Raiders aren't proven right about his failures in cold weather games, inability in the redzone the pressure to prove the Raiders wrong will bust him he's not built like that.

He said he won't retire via his brother.

My view of this:

- Him agreeing to a trade make sense for him as he's unlikely to get the same contract in FA. 

- If you are one of the teams who needs a QB and not selecting top 5 in the draft (Jets, Commanders, Panthers, Saints) you can wait out the Raiders to see if Carr is released, but you risk not having a viable QB next season. 

In my view, he has a lot of value to QB needy teams (like those above) who have teams ready to compete. If you are one of those teams, you what do you at QB that's better a than Derek Carr? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He said he won't retire via his brother.

My view of this:

- Him agreeing to a trade make sense for him as he's unlikely to get the same contract in FA. 

- If you are one of the teams who needs a QB and not selecting top 5 in the draft (Jets, Commanders, Panthers, Saints) you can wait out the Raiders to see if Carr is released, but you risk not having a viable QB next season. 

In my view, he has a lot of value to QB needy teams (like those above) who have teams ready to compete. If you are one of those teams, you what do you at QB that's better a than Derek Carr? 

It would be the ideal scenario to have teams bidding on Carr but the no trade clause means he’s get to choose where he goes and wouldn’t that reduce the value. As soon as he indicates where he is happy to go, what would that team then offer ? Couldn’t those teams indicate they are happy to pay his contract as long as he is a free agent to save draft picks ?

The smart thing to do would be to get a list of acceptable destinations from the Carr camp and then approach those teams. Then you overcome the no trade clause situation before you even start the negotiation process.

I can see us not getting anything of significant value and I can also see us getting a nice haul. It all depends on if we can get more than one interested party and how highly they value DC4. 

The Commanders and the Titans seem like ideal trading partners due to current people on their staff that have a high opinion of DC4 (Del Rio and Downing). 

25 minutes ago, Dessie said:

It would be the ideal scenario to have teams bidding on Carr but the no trade clause means he’s get to choose where he goes and wouldn’t that reduce the value. As soon as he indicates where he is happy to go, what would that team then offer ? Couldn’t those teams indicate they are happy to pay his contract as long as he is a free agent to save draft picks ?

I think there are enough QB needy teams with rosters that can compete who won't have other options at QB. The FA market isn't great. The draft is a crapshoot and most are not picking high enough to get a QB.

Have to assume Carr will have several destinations he'd agree that would make for a nice trade market for the Raiders. 

Look at the NFC South alone. The team that gets a QB in that division can easily win it. Carr could accept a trade to any of those team and be in the playoffs. Let those teams bid on his services again each other. Add in teams like the Jets and Commies and maybes like the Colts, Titans. 

That's 8 potential teams... take out the Commies (bad ownershio), Panthers (new coach), Falcons (early in a rebuild), that's 5 with a likely dark horse candidate (Giants, Seahawks).

I think we underestimate how many teams need a QB right now.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I think there are enough QB needy teams with rosters that can compete who won't have other options at QB. The FA market isn't great. The draft is a crapshoot and most are not picking high enough to get a QB.

Have to assume Carr will have several destinations he'd agree that would make for a nice trade market for the Raiders. 

Look at the NFC South alone. The team that gets a QB in that division can easily win it. Carr could accept a trade to any of those team and be in the playoffs. Let those teams bid on his services again each other. Add in teams like the Jets and Commies and maybes like the Colts, Titans. 

That's 8 potential teams... take out the Commies (bad ownershio), Panthers (new coach), Falcons (early in a rebuild), that's 5 with a likely dark horse candidate (Giants, Seahawks).

I think we underestimate how many teams need a QB right now.   

That relies on Carr accepting a trade and then we have to take a gamble on the teams honouring the deal. It only takes a GM resignation/sacking, coach change or change of mind and we are stuck with an extra $30m cap charge.

Given the circumstances the trade capital has to be worth the risk, if it’s only say a 3rd round pick is it worth the risk ?

Also If Carr signed on the market is it not likely he would get more than $40m in guarantees over a multi year deal especially if all these teams need a QB and are interested ?  So why would he want a trade ?

The no trade clause and the fact we are on the hook for $30m 3 days after the season ends makes it a really tough situation. 

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

That relies on Carr accepting a trade and then we have to take a gamble on the teams honouring the deal. It only takes a GM resignation/sacking, coach change or change of mind and we are stuck with an extra $30m cap charge.

Given the circumstances the trade capital has to be worth the risk, if it’s only say a 3rd round pick is it worth the risk ?

Also If Carr signed on the market is it not likely he would get more than $40m in guarantees over a multi year deal especially if all these teams need a QB and are interested ?  So why would he want a trade ?

The no trade clause and the fact we are on the hook for $30m 3 days after the season ends makes it a really tough situation. 

No NFL owner would pull a stunt like that imo. It would be frowned upon by the rest of the owners and a bad look for the future of the trade market. 

Maybe Carr gets that money, that's a risk his camp would have to take. 

It's a tough situation to be sure. I just think there are a lot of teams who need a QB and will take their shot knowing the market sucks otherwise. 

I'm not big on contracts, but could the Raiders keep him and trade him at a later date? Or they are still on the hook that money if he's traded?