The New QB Thread: Who will be the Raiders QB next season?

RaidersAreOne

Who will be the Raiders QB next year?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders starter in 2023

• Derek Carr
    • Tom Brady
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Baker Mayfield
    • CJ Stroud
    • Bryce Young
    • Will Levis
    • Other (Please Specify)

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

While at this point I’d absolutely love to trade Carr, I really don’t think it’s going to happen.  We can’t trust a team to honor the trade until it can be made official.  That sucks because getting a 2 and 3 for him would really help us.

Personally, I’d absolutely love to see McDaniels push to trade Carr, the deal collapses because the team withdraws just to screw over McDaniels and then TommyBoy fires him for the mistake…. And we keep Carr.  Not going to happen but I’d die laughing.

As a Raider fan, i don’t see how thatd be funny at all

• Like 4

I'm not the greatest at "valuing" draft picks but is it anywhere in the realm of possibilities that the Texans would be interested in Carr? And we trade #9 overall and Carr for #1 overall?

What do we think our options are for drafting and what other teams are interested in Carr? I know the Colts wanted him at some point. I don't want us drafting a QB in this upcoming draft unless it's Young or Stroud. If we can't get one of them then maybe we'll just roll with Stidham next year and see how he does.

Carr knows he is going to be cut, he’s never struck me as a guy who is driven by money. He’s got the ability to go where he wants and be in the right situation, as much as I’d like to get some draft capital it’s probably unlikely. Don’t we have to cut him like a month before FA starts as well ? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NickButera said:

Teams won't arbitrarily renege like that, they'd be blackballed from trades by so many other teams. There's precedent, this has been done before and it wasn't a big deal.  As a matter of fact I can't think of a time a team verbally agreed publicly to a trade and turned tail on their word, ever. But I can think of dozens of trades that happen before legally allowed and get completed. This idea that a team would change their mind is mostly drawn from irrational fear, it hasn't actually ever happened and I doubt it ever would. 

Never heard a coach back out of a job they agreed to take before jmd

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

While at this point I’d absolutely love to trade Carr, I really don’t think it’s going to happen.  We can’t trust a team to honor the trade until it can be made official.  That sucks because getting a 2 and 3 for him would really help us.

Personally, I’d absolutely love to see McDaniels push to trade Carr, the deal collapses because the team withdraws just to screw over McDaniels and then TommyBoy fires him for the mistake…. And we keep Carr.  Not going to happen but I’d die laughing.

I read that Josh did the same thing to another team. Back out of a tread and ****ed them. So he can't trust anyone because he's actions.

10 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Hats off to Stidham. That was a badass performance. 

I want to see more and we only have 1 game left which sucks cause I want to see a 4-5 game sample size. He could be something just need to see it again.

This is exactly my thoughts. I’d like to see a four game sample on Stidham to really make at least a semi-educated judgement. However, it is what it is and it’s clear Carr will not be in Silver and Black next year. I would look to certainly trade Carr and I think he’d fetch a first to a needy team like Washington, Jets, Buccs, Dolphins pending Tua, Giants, maybe a couple others. 

With regard Stidham I’d certainly sign him to a one year deal and express that he has the chance to earn a franchise QB contract next season. I probably wouldn’t look to trade up unless a QB that we really, really like falls a pick or two above us. I think Bryce is going to go #1 and will be out of reach as I don’t think the Texans will be willing to trade out. Every year there are risers and fallers so I’d look to see who falls into our lap. If a desired player does then great we pick him and he sits and learns whilst Stidham or a cheap stop gap holds the fort or he earns the start in camp.

If there’s no one there then we shouldn’t be pressured into drafting a QB for the sake of it. If that is the case I’d look to sign a guy like Foles or Flacco as a cheap backup with experience and pending the Chiefs game, give Stidham a year to prove himself.

The draft and FA is used to strengthen the OLine and DLine plus DBs and we revisit the QB battle in 2024 off season if we haven’t drafted a guy and we’ll have much more knowledge on Stidham.

• Like 1

After thinking about last night's game, Stiddy has one glaring weakness. He doesn't throw while moving very well. I made the point yesterday that he needs to slide away from the rush while throwing. He would take less hits that way and less passes would be interfered with. Stiddy tends to stop and set his feet before he makes a throw. It is proper technique to do that, but in todays NFL a QB needs to be able to make an occasional play without setting their feet. Basically make an "all arm" throw.

If I were a defensive coordinator, I would use the same gameplan on Stiddy as Pittsburg used on Peyton Manning in the 2005 playoffs. Peyton couldn't throw on the move either and Pittsburg exploited that.

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

This is exactly my thoughts. I’d like to see a four game sample on Stidham to really make at least a semi-educated judgement. However, it is what it is and it’s clear Carr will not be in Silver and Black next year. I would look to certainly trade Carr and I think he’d fetch a first to a needy team like Washington, Jets, Buccs, Dolphins pending Tua, Giants, maybe a couple others. 

With regard Stidham I’d certainly sign him to a one year deal and express that he has the chance to earn a franchise QB contract next season. I probably wouldn’t look to trade up unless a QB that we really, really like falls a pick or two above us. I think Bryce is going to go #1 and will be out of reach as I don’t think the Texans will be willing to trade out. Every year there are risers and fallers so I’d look to see who falls into our lap. If a desired player does then great we pick him and he sits and learns whilst Stidham or a cheap stop gap holds the fort or he earns the start in camp.

If there’s no one there then we shouldn’t be pressured into drafting a QB for the sake of it. If that is the case I’d look to sign a guy like Foles or Flacco as a cheap backup with experience and pending the Chiefs game, give Stidham a year to prove himself.

The draft and FA is used to strengthen the OLine and DLine plus DBs and we revisit the QB battle in 2024 off season if we haven’t drafted a guy and we’ll have much more knowledge on Stidham.

Agreed

I’d like us to draft a rookie as this QB class is loaded. Even in the mid rounds somewhere between 2-4. Perhaps sign Mullens again instead of Flacco or Foles

Still I wish we had 4-5 game sample to evaluate Stidham. So we know we have going into next season. I wish the team made this move back in October or November 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dessie said:

Carr knows he is going to be cut, he’s never struck me as a guy who is driven by money. He’s got the ability to go where he wants and be in the right situation, as much as I’d like to get some draft capital it’s probably unlikely. Don’t we have to cut him like a month before FA starts as well ? 

With the trade clause he do get to choose kinda. But I think he wants his money. He likes helping people amd want to build churches and more here and in different countries. That money goes a long way. He also said he would retire. Most think that's not going to happen now. The hard part will be the other team. We got to hope he likes one of the teams that come calling for a trade. I'm sure his agent will be working back channels to see if some place carr really likes is a possibility if he hits free agency also. If a place like San fran or miami says we can't trade for you and got to pay you 30 mill a year instead of 40. That's when raiders might get screwed. 

28 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

With the trade clause he do get to choose kinda. But I think he wants his money. He likes helping people amd want to build churches and more here and in different countries. That money goes a long way. He also said he would retire. Most think that's not going to happen now. The hard part will be the other team. We got to hope he likes one of the teams that come calling for a trade. I'm sure his agent will be working back channels to see if some place carr really likes is a possibility if he hits free agency also. If a place like San fran or miami says we can't trade for you and got to pay you 30 mill a year instead of 40. That's when raiders might get screwed. 

If he signs as a FA what do you think he gets on the open market with so many teams wanting/needing a QB ? 

52 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

No way we just outright cut him without getting anything in return. I’m guessing they would rather eat the cap hit and shop Carr next year at the deadline to a QB needy team than just outright cut him this year. Bringing back Stidham and drafting a rookie allows them to do that if necessary. 
Teams have ate way larger cap hits before and you don’t just walk away from a valuable trade asset without getting anything in return. I would think Carr’s camp would rather acquiesce and work together to swing a trade to a desirable destination than waste a year of his prime playing years sitting in purgatory. This is a situation where it’s better to part company as friends and work together than to dig your heels in and play hardball. 

Edited by jpaulthe1st