The New QB Thread: Who will be the Raiders QB next season?

RaidersAreOne

Who will be the Raiders QB next year?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders starter in 2023

• Derek Carr
    • Tom Brady
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Baker Mayfield
    • CJ Stroud
    • Bryce Young
    • Will Levis
    • Other (Please Specify)

23 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

That is what im saying, year 1 he has always struggled. 
Do you disagree with that? 
They put an out in case he struggled year 1, and he did, so they used the out they put in. 

Tough to outplay someone when you are given 6 pass attempts, 4 of them coming on the only drive we scored in the 2nd.
no need to respond, i know you think Carr shouldve thrown at least 4 TDs on those 6 passes haha. 

Mac Jones not struggling year 1 has literally nothing to do with Carr. 
Carr has shown 3 or 4 times, year 1 he struggles with a new play book. . . Do you not agree with that?

love the last bold, I seem to remember multiple posters (AKA some im speaking too) saying we should trade Carr last offseason

Carr has just been okay for the majority of his career, he was alright this season. There was literally almost 0 change in his production between his 1st / 2nd seasons in Gruden's system. 

We would've beat the Rams if Carr didn't lob that duck into the end zone and cost us three points at the end of the second half. We could've beaten the Steelers if Carr didn't lob the ball 10 yards past Renfrow while sprinting forward on our final possession. At the end of the day good QB's find a way to make plays and win games, Carr has regularly folded under pressure. 

Carr in year 1 of Gruden: 4,049 yards (70.4% comp), 19 TD, 10 INT

Carr in year 2 of Gruden: 4,054 yards (67.3% comp), 21 TD, 8 INT

Surely it was just because it was his first year in the system, why was he just as average in year 2 under Gruden though?

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Carr has just been okay for the majority of his career, he was alright this season. There was literally almost 0 change in his production between his 1st / 2nd seasons in Gruden's system. 

We would've beat the Rams if Carr didn't lob that duck into the end zone and cost us three points at the end of the second half. We could've beaten the Steelers if Carr didn't lob the ball 10 yards past Renfrow while sprinting forward on our final possession. At the end of the day good QB's find a way to make plays and win games, Carr has regularly folded under pressure. 

Carr in year 1 of Gruden: 4,049 yards (70.4% comp), 19 TD, 10 INT

Carr in year 2 of Gruden: 4,054 yards (67.3% comp), 21 TD, 8 INT

Surely it was just because it was his first year in the system, why was he just as average in year 2 under Gruden though?

very tough to talk QB to someone who only looks at yards, tds at ints. 

Carr was sacked 51 times year 1 vs 29 year two. That to me says playing faster. 
Rating from 94 to 101 (his highest ever at that point)

So yes please tell me how 101 is average play? 
His play jumped big time from year 1 to year 2, but, like you are doing now with brady , looking at bulk stats can be very misleading. 

4 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

very tough to talk QB to someone who only looks at yards, tds at ints. 

Carr was sacked 51 times year 1 vs 29 year two. That to me says playing faster. 
Rating from 94 to 101 (his highest ever at that point)

So yes please tell me how 101 is average play? 
His play jumped big time from year 1 to year 2, but, like you are doing now with brady , looking at bulk stats can be very misleading. 

4,000 yards and 20 TD is above average in the modern NFL? Then basically any starter that doesn't get hurt is above average, lol. Carr was below average in Gruden's first season and slightly better in his second season. He didn't make some significant jump that'd lead anyone to be confident he'll make some massive leap in year 2 under JMD. He's going into his 10th season in the league now, lol.

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

lol 
stop rating qbs on bulk stats, yards and tds dont tell the whole story. 
Carrs numbers went up, while attempting less passes in 2019. 

Can you understand why that matters? or no?

Was Carr significantly  better in year 2 with Gruden? No. He is who he is, an average / above average (sometimes) player with major flaws.  

Edited by NYRaider

On 1/17/2023 at 12:01 PM, big_palooka said:

Mark Davis needs to be careful here. His desperation to win evokes his father's late career whom kept trying to catch lightning in a bottle at the long term healthy of the franchise.

Expecting your football people to win now, when your franchise has failed to properly draft talent for years is a recipe for disaster. 

If he was patient, let them develop a QB and be diligent in their approach to improve a neglected roster, he could potentially create a consistent winner. 

If he's going to knee jerk hire and fire based people on instant gratification, he's going to be stuck in this cycle for a long time. 

Dave Ziegler's latest presser might be a good indicator!

He said that they wanna build up this thing the right way, they don't want to catch lighting in a bottle!

I sure hope MD is on board and will let DZ&JMD build this up. 

If JMD is trully one of the better O minds in the game, he can get us into the PO with a good rookie at QB. He made it work with Mac Jones in 2021 on BB's side. 

Find a way to draft the future in the first round this year, build that OL and build that D with the cap space and with the draft. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

If JMD is trully one of the better O minds in the game, 

said this about gruden, and ill say it again about JMD.. . 
If you are a better O mind in the game, then dont spend all your FN money on the O.
You should be able to scheme guys open. 

If you are a great O mind, go spend on D, where youre not one of the better minds. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

said this about gruden, and ill say it again about JMD.. . 
If you are a better O mind in the game, then dont spend all your FN money on the O.
You should be able to scheme guys open. 

If you are a great O mind, go spend on D, where youre not one of the better minds. 

+1!

• Like 1

Player comparisons off the top of my head:

Bryce Young: 2022 version of Tua almost to a tee. Added twist: Deshaun Watson’s escape ability. 

CJ Stroud: Dak Prescott but a better version

Will Levis: Ben Roetisberger and Justin Herbert had a manchild. With Josh Allen dressing sprinkled on top. But the frankenstein child could spontaneously   combust in the NFL. 

Anthony Richardson: Lazy, but… Lamars running ability and Kaepernicks passing, but not as polished as Kaepernick

the question is do they get a vet and draft a rookie high. If its a Brady/Rodgers deal, its win now and theres no high pick. Id say even Jimmy would require some stability as hell have some suitors. We could do a Brisett(id prefer Stidham) type and a rookie. 

I think well go with a familiar face like Brady, Jimmy or JB/JS. Then depending on which route we end on will dictate whether we go QB or not. 

Id give my HC/GMs 3 seasons unless they completely **** the bed. I feel like were in between rebuilding and trying to win now. Zeigler wants to build something sustainable but it seems Josh is coaching for his job. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

the question is do they get a vet and draft a rookie high. If its a Brady/Rodgers deal, its win now and theres no high pick. Id say even Jimmy would require some stability as hell have some suitors. We could do a Brisett(id prefer Stidham) type and a rookie. 

I think well go with a familiar face like Brady, Jimmy or JB/JS. Then depending on which route we end on will dictate whether we go QB or not. 

Id give my HC/GMs 3 seasons unless they completely **** the bed. I feel like were in between rebuilding and trying to win now. Zeigler wants to build something sustainable but it seems Josh is coaching for his job. 

You’re right, and this is a reflection on Mark Davis.

I’m no McDaniels fan, but he’s in a tough spot here; bordering on impossible. He either brings in a Brady type, we (maybe) have a good season in 2023 but then we’re back here again looking at a rebuild in a year or two when Brady retires. Alternatively he looks for a QB in the draft but unless they hit the ground running he likely gets fired.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

You’re right, and this is a reflection on Mark Davis.

I’m no McDaniels fan, but he’s in a tough spot here; bordering on impossible. He either brings in a Brady type, we (maybe) have a good season in 2023 but then we’re back here again looking at a rebuild in a year or two when Brady retires. Alternatively he looks for a QB in the draft but unless they hit the ground running he likely gets fired.

Agree. And with Davis likely to want to see success sooner - not least to bring some actual Raiders fans to his new shiny stadium, I think that Zeig will be outvoted…..and for all the wrong reasons

• Like 1