The New QB Thread: Who will be the Raiders QB next season?

RaidersAreOne

Who will be the Raiders QB next year?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders starter in 2023

• Derek Carr
    • Tom Brady
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Baker Mayfield
    • CJ Stroud
    • Bryce Young
    • Will Levis
    • Other (Please Specify)

4 minutes ago, Dessie said:

If he signs as a FA what do you think he gets on the open market with so many teams wanting/needing a QB ? 

The two biggest FA contracts ever were Tom Brady (2 yr/$50M) and Kirk Cousins (3 yr/$84M). Carr would probably get 25-30M on the open market.

27 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The two biggest FA contracts ever were Tom Brady (2 yr/$50M) and Kirk Cousins (3 yr/$84M). Carr would probably get 25-30M on the open market.

I could see this happening actually. But what's gonna end up happening is he's gonna probably go somewhere where the team has everything else already filled and just need a good quarterback. Washington for example

39 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

No way we just outright cut him without getting anything in return. I’m guessing they would rather eat the cap hit and shop Carr next year at the deadline to a QB needy team than just outright cut him this year. Bringing back Stidham and drafting a rookie allows them to do that if necessary. 
Teams have ate way larger cap hits before and you don’t just walk away from a valuable trade asset without getting anything in return. I would think Carr’s camp would rather acquiesce and work together to swing a trade to a desirable destination than waste a year of his prime playing years sitting in purgatory. This is a situation where it’s better to part company as friends and work together than to dig your heels in and play hardball. 

You want us to eat a $34m cap hit for a QB everyone knows we don’t want ? 

Edited by Dessie

For whatever reason Brady doesn’t come and Stidham plays well next week. I would go with him and then draft a QB instead of going with a Jimmy G.

Stidham would cost 10 million a year if that and then you have tons and tons of cap space to load the roster 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, agarcia34 said:

For whatever reason Brady doesn’t come and Stidham plays well next week. I would go with him and then draft a QB instead of going with a Jimmy G.

Stidham would cost 10 million a year if that and then you have tons and tons of cap space to load the roster 

That would definitely be the best scenario for us. What happens if Stidham plays badly next week ? 

7 minutes ago, Dessie said:

You want us to eat a $34m cap hit for a QB everyone knows we don’t want ? 

Yes. I promise you that we will have plenty of suitors at next year’s trade deadline and the Carr camp will have come to their senses by then. Either way, it won’t even get to that point. Carr’s camp understands they don’t as much leverage as everyone else thinks and the best thing to do is to work together to negotiate a trade to a desirable destination. 

1 minute ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Yes. I promise you that we will have plenty of suitors at next year’s trade deadline and the Carr camp will have come to their senses by then. Either way, it won’t even get to that point. Carr’s camp understands they don’t as much leverage as everyone else thinks and the best thing to do is to work together to negotiate a trade to a desirable destination. 

We are getting something in return which is cap room. 30+ million which can 3-5 players if not more 

10 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

So we eat a $34m cap hit for a QB we don’t want and have to wait for next years trade deadline to get what exactly ?

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

So we eat a $34m cap hit for a QB we don’t want and have to wait for next years trade deadline to get what exactly ?

Exactly what I said. There is a shortage of QB’s in this league and if Carr’s camp isn’t willing to play ball then we will have to be patient. 

The classic example is Carson Palmer and Mike Brown. He flat out refused to give in to Palmer and called his retirement bluff. The end result was two first round draft picks at the trade deadline from the Raiders. 
This is classic negotiation 101 and the Carr camp has to believe that we are willing to stand firm on our side. How long do you think he will be content to be an inactive 3rd string QB while he could be playing on a playoff contender? I promise you he will eventually give in and we will be able to get valuable draft capital for him. 

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

Agreed

I’d like us to draft a rookie as this QB class is loaded. Even in the mid rounds somewhere between 2-4. Perhaps sign Mullens again instead of Flacco or Foles

Still I wish we had 4-5 game sample to evaluate Stidham. So we know we have going into next season. I wish the team made this move back in October or November 

Yep, I just thought Foles or Flacco as they’re very experienced, could help identify issues and both have won a Super Bowl amazingly and could be potential mentors. 

• Like 1