The New QB Thread: Who will be the Raiders QB next season?

RaidersAreOne

Who will be the Raiders QB next year?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders starter in 2023

• Derek Carr
    • Tom Brady
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Baker Mayfield
    • CJ Stroud
    • Bryce Young
    • Will Levis
    • Other (Please Specify)

We do not need to trade Carr before the money becomes guaranteed.  We can wait for the available QBs to dry up before trading Carr to a team that missed out.

First, there are going to be more QB needy teams than starting quality QBs.

Second, although I do not believe Carr is worth $40 per year he is worth more than than $40 million guaranteed.  He has an incentive to rework his contract and lower his overall money while increasing his guaranteed money.  New contracts for QBs have been around 60% and above.  Right now he is around 33%

Third, if we wait until after his money is guaranteed it does not mean the Raiders owe him that money.  It means the team he is playing for owes him that money.  It is mostly base salary and signing bonuses count against us even if he is traded before.  It is more of a risk but we have a while before he needs to be paid anything.

Fourth, it is a long shot but we could always keep him on and tell him to play while we develop another QB.  It would make for a strained locker room but I could see it happening because of who Carr is. .0001% chance of happening though.  This only happens if they try and wait out teams and it blows up in their face since there is no point in cutting a player with 100% guaranteed contract.  Also Carr would be killing his own value if he sat out.

For anyone thinking he will take less money just to take less money you are crazy.  Your reason for taking less has to transcend money.  Things like winning a title.  Anyone saying what is the difference between $25 and $40 million just does not see the world the same way these guys do.  It is like someone in a 3rd world country looking at us and saying "what is the difference between $25 and $40 an hour as long as you are happy?  I could make $25 a day and I would ecstatic."  Same way we say I could make $25 million in my life and be happy.

10 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

We do not need to trade Carr before the money becomes guaranteed.  We can wait for the available QBs to dry up before trading Carr to a team that missed out.

Second, although I do not believe Carr is worth $40 per year he is worth more than than $40 million guaranteed.  He has an incentive to rework his contract and lower his overall money while increasing his guaranteed money.  New contracts for QBs have been around 60% and above.  Right now he is around 33%

Third, if we wait until after his money is guaranteed it does not mean the Raiders owe him that money.  It means the team he is playing for owes him that money.  It is mostly base salary and signing bonuses count against us even if he is traded before.  It is more of a risk but we have a while before he needs to be paid anything.

Fourth, it is a long shot but we could always keep him on and tell him to play while we develop another QB.  It would make for a strained locker room but I could see it happening because of who Carr is. .0001% chance of happening though.  This only happens if they try and wait out teams and it blows up in their face since there is no point in cutting a player with 100% guaranteed contract.  Also Carr would be killing his own value if he sat out.

For anyone thinking he will take less money just to take less money you are crazy.  Your reason for taking less has to transcend money.  Things like winning a title.  Anyone saying what is the difference between $25 and $40 million just does not see the world the same way these guys do.  It is like someone in a 3rd world country looking at us and saying "what is the difference between $25 and $40 an hour as long as you are happy?  I could make $25 a day and I would ecstatic."  Same way we say I could make $25 million in my life and be happy.

Well since I just said it, I must be crazy.  For the record, I've never seen Carr as the guy trying to get as much as he possibly could. I'd never compare hourly wages to millions of dollars either, apples to oranges.

If we are able to trade Carr and get anything in return I'll be shocked and ecstatic.  But, anyone thinking that players don't take less money in the back half of their careers for a better situation, location, or chance at winning is ignorant.

hopefully Lamar, Rodgers sign some 50+mil/yr contracts (obviously unless with us)
some young qb also signs a new contract for 50 

And teams think that is the new going rate for star QBs so Carr at 35mil this upcoming season isnt terrible, and 40 in 24 is probably going to look way better too. 

-
While it was nice to see Stidham play, did we learn enough about him to say it was worth showing our hand completely with Carr? 
If Carr plays out the season, maybe teams reach out to us to see if he is available and we play hard ball a bit. 

6 hours ago, true2form said:

Well since I just said it, I must be crazy.  For the record, I've never seen Carr as the guy trying to get as much as he possibly could. I'd never compare hourly wages to millions of dollars either, apples to oranges.

If we are able to trade Carr and get anything in return I'll be shocked and ecstatic.  But, anyone thinking that players don't take less money in the back half of their careers for a better situation, location, or chance at winning is ignorant.

Like I said it has to transcend money.  Going and playing for your childhood team.  Keeping your family close.  Winning a championship or just the opportunity.  For Carr to say I am willing to take less just to leave that would have to be the best option but it is not.  He can be traded and still get his money.  Players do not see the game like fans do.  A player might take a small cut to help the team but you  are talking about Carr giving up a 3rd of his money.  Carr does not care as much as fans do about the picks.  In his mind a 1st round pick for the team costs him $15 million dollars.  He does not care that much about a kid he does not know coming out of college.  He might not have given up that much to get Adams on the team.

6 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Like I said it has to transcend money.  Going and playing for your childhood team.  Keeping your family close.  Winning a championship or just the opportunity.  For Carr to say I am willing to take less just to leave that would have to be the best option but it is not.  He can be traded and still get his money.  Players do not see the game like fans do.  A player might take a small cut to help the team but you  are talking about Carr giving up a 3rd of his money.  Carr does not care as much as fans do about the picks.  In his mind a 1st round pick for the team costs him $15 million dollars.  He does not care that much about a kid he does not know coming out of college.  He might not have given up that much to get Adams on the team.

I guess I just disagree then. To me you’re talking about where Jacobs is at. Carr is not in that same place. It’s not a one size fits all for me and there is plenty of evidence of players taking less money over the years. 

An even bigger part of this is, Carr may not have a say. If no team wants to trade for him, he has to go the FA route. I’m not saying he won’t be traded, but there is no guarantee of it and I think some guys on this forum need to accept that is a possibility. 

1 hour ago, true2form said:

I guess I just disagree then. To me you’re talking about where Jacobs is at. Carr is not in that same place. It’s not a one size fits all for me and there is plenty of evidence of players taking less money over the years. 

An even bigger part of this is, Carr may not have a say. If no team wants to trade for him, he has to go the FA route. I’m not saying he won’t be traded, but there is no guarantee of it and I think some guys on this forum need to accept that is a possibility. 

It is possible that no team wants to trade for him but it is also possible the Texans win the SB next year.  I just think the likelihood is so small it is not worth discussing.  I want better than Carr but that does not mean he is a bad QB.  Carr still has a couple contracts if he decides to stay.  Carr needs more guaranteed money, we need draft capital, and there are plenty of teams that need to secure a QB because there is not enough starting quality QBs to go around.  Now I would not spend big on Carr but $30-35 is a team friendly deal.  That is Matt Ryan, Wentz, Goff, and Cousins money on old deals.  Carr would be dumb to not take a 3 yr $100 million dollar restructure if the team is willing to give him the market standard guaranteed money which is now in the 60%+.  

13 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

It is possible that no team wants to trade for him but it is also possible the Texans win the SB next year.  I just think the likelihood is so small it is not worth discussing.  I want better than Carr but that does not mean he is a bad QB.  Carr still has a couple contracts if he decides to stay.  Carr needs more guaranteed money, we need draft capital, and there are plenty of teams that need to secure a QB because there is not enough starting quality QBs to go around.  Now I would not spend big on Carr but $30-35 is a team friendly deal.  That is Matt Ryan, Wentz, Goff, and Cousins money on old deals.  Carr would be dumb to not take a 3 yr $100 million dollar restructure if the team is willing to give him the market standard guaranteed money which is now in the 60%+.  

Well I guess we will see. I don’t think it’s a slam dunk like you do. 

On 1/27/2023 at 4:43 AM, drfrey13 said:

Third, if we wait until after his money is guaranteed it does not mean the Raiders owe him that money.  It means the team he is playing for owes him that money.  It is mostly base salary and signing bonuses count against us even if he is traded before.  It is more of a risk but we have a while before he needs to be paid anything..

If Carr agrees that he is worth more than $40m gtd why wouldn’t he reject any trade and wait to be cut ? Or If a team agrees he is worth more than $40m gtd and indicate they are happy to redo his deal but don’t want to trade for him, again why wouldn’t Carr just wait to be cut? 

I hope we can swing a trade but far from convinced it will happen. 

1 hour ago, true2form said:

Well I guess we will see. I don’t think it’s a slam dunk like you do. 

I do not think it is a slam dunk because I see it from my perspective which is emotion free.  I do not know how Carr's emotions might cloud his thinking or if he even values money like an average person.  It is entirely possible that he is on the far end of one of these spectrums.

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

If Carr agrees that he is worth more than $40m gtd why wouldn’t he reject any trade and wait to be cut ? Or If a team agrees he is worth more than $40m gtd and indicate they are happy to redo his deal but don’t want to trade for him, again why wouldn’t Carr just wait to be cut? 

I hope we can swing a trade but far from convinced it will happen. 

Because that is not how the process should plays out for all parties to be protected.  Carr can not enter negotiations with teams until we give him the green light.  Before we give him the green light we first would discuss compensation.  Before we do that Carr will give us a list of destinations he is willing to go to.  So if Carr is willing to go the FA route he will be taking on the risk that a team is willing to give him that which means he is making on a big bet.

Step 1.  Carr says I will got to  team A, B, and C.

Step 2.  We negotiate with them and they are willing to give up:  Team A 2023 1st, team B 2023 2nd and 3rd, team C will give a 2023 1st and 2024 2nd.

Step 3.  We give team c the right to enter negotiations with Carr.

Step 4.  They agree to the contract and the deal is agreed upon.

Step 5. Carr waives his no trade clause.

Step 6. it is sent to the league office.

Step 7. Carr signs new contract.

It does not always work this way but with Carr's no trade clause this is how I believe it happens.  Unless we give Carr and his agent permission to seek out a trade before hand it should go down like this.  It is possible for anyone to back out but that would ruin the reputation of the person who does it.

4 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Because that is not how the process should plays out for all parties to be protected.  Carr can not enter negotiations with teams until we give him the green light.  Before we give him the green light we first would discuss compensation.  Before we do that Carr will give us a list of destinations he is willing to go to.  So if Carr is willing to go the FA route he will be taking on the risk that a team is willing to give him that which means he is making on a big bet.

Step 1.  Carr says I will got to  team A, B, and C.

Step 2.  We negotiate with them and they are willing to give up:  Team A 2023 1st, team B 2023 2nd and 3rd, team C will give a 2023 1st and 2024 2nd.

Step 3.  We give team c the right to enter negotiations with Carr.

Step 4.  They agree to the contract and the deal is agreed upon.

Step 5. Carr waives his no trade clause.

Step 6. it is sent to the league office.

Step 7. Carr signs new contract.

It does not always work this way but with Carr's no trade clause this is how I believe it happens.  Unless we give Carr and his agent permission to seek out a trade before hand it should go down like this.  It is possible for anyone to back out but that would ruin the reputation of the person who does it.

You’ve already said he is worth more than $40m gtd so not that big a risk. 

It would be incredibly naive to think there isn’t ways for teams to reach out to Carr. 

If Josh signs Jimmy G, with no 1st Round QB, like Jimmy G is literally THE solution, I will lose all faith in McDaniels. 

Don’t tell me we are waiting for 2024 QB class either. We are throwing away a year if we sign Jimmy with no 1st Round QB waiting, and likely would be out of range to draft a QB. 

• Like 1

Jimmy G is absolute horse trash. Like if you think I rag on Carr, just ask 49er fans how much I rag on Jimmy. They are the SAME QB. Same flaws. And Jimmy is worse. His pocket presence is abysmal. I fully do believe he is the WORST, #1 terrible QB under pressure in the NFL. He isn’t tough. He makes boneheaded decisions. His arm is meh. His football IQ is meh. Can’t throw with anticipation. 

Not to mention he finishes on IR almost every season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Jimmy G is absolute horse trash. Like if you think I rag on Carr, just ask 49er fans how much I rag on Jimmy. They are the SAME QB. Same flaws. And Jimmy is worse. His pocket presence is abysmal. I fully do believe he is the WORST, #1 terrible QB under pressure in the NFL. He isn’t tough. He makes boneheaded decisions. His arm is meh. His football IQ is meh. Can’t throw with anticipation. 

Not to mention he finishes on IR almost every season. 

No doubt anyone who has anything negative to say about the Carr can't say anything positive about Garoppolo