The New QB Thread: Who will be the Raiders QB next season?

RaidersAreOne

Who will be the Raiders QB next year?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders starter in 2023

• Derek Carr
    • Tom Brady
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Baker Mayfield
    • CJ Stroud
    • Bryce Young
    • Will Levis
    • Other (Please Specify)

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

How does Jimmy make us better than the 2022 Raiders?

Well first he’s going to know JMDs system better than Carr did. He’d probably gel better with JMD. He’ll probably be cheaper allowing for the Raiders to sign more players in FA building up the roster. But all that’s moot because he’d probably tear an ACL in like week 5. 

I don’t think Jimmy is the savior or long term option but no matter how you slice it there will be a lost year. Either it’s this season with Jimmy G/Rookie that’s not Levis or Richardson. Or it’s next season or two with Rodgers/Brady. Let’s just light this candle, build the roster and push in the chips for a guy in 2024.

Now I’m going to say something that will trigger some of y’all: there are no long term options in 2023 at QB. Rodgers is pushing 40 who comes with a heavy price and Brady is closer to 50 than 40. The rest of the QB options are backups and low tier starters. As for the rookie class it reminds me of 2013 except there’s probably a little more talent. It would be incredibly negligent for the Raiders to pick a raw QB over a pass rusher to compliment Crosby. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chali21 said:

True but if the Raiders got wind of teams reaching out to Carr telling him they pay him more that his current contract if he holds out until he’s cut that would be tampering. Knowing the league they could level fines to both the franchise and Carr as well as pull draft picks.  I think the Raiders would be petty enough to do that too.  

Proving it is going be pretty impossible if it’s done through 3rd parties, happens all the time. 

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

Proving it is going be pretty impossible if it’s done through 3rd parties, happens all the time. 

They don’t have to prove it. The colts never had to prove that Brady’s balls were deflated. All the Raiders have to do is put it out in the media that there was collusion against them that circumvented the LEAGUE’s rules and Goodel will drop the hammer. 

Just now, Chali21 said:

They don’t have to prove it. The colts never had to prove that Brady’s balls were deflated. All the Raiders have to do is put it out in the media that there was collusion against them that circumvented the LEAGUE’s rules and Goodel will drop the hammer. 

So anyone can make up allegations and Goodell is gonna act on it ? Do you know how ridiculous that is ? 

9 hours ago, Dessie said:

Make up your mind. Is he or isn’t he ? 

I am speaking from 2 different view points so let me clarify.  I would not give him that contract.  I think it is almost a certainty that he can and will get it from teams on the market.  

I do not think he is worth it for me to pay him that much because his contract would have to be large enough to justify that amount as a percentage.  I am not giving him more than $20 per year which at 60% gives him $36 million guaranteed.  That is my ultimate max for him right now.  If he walked into my office and said I want to get paid $15 million for 3 years I would keep him.  Not going to happen.

The market will value him at that level because they will value him in the low $30 per year.  So at $30 per year over 3 years that is $90 million total.  At 60% he should get $54 million guaranteed.  So I believe he is valued over $40 million guaranteed based upon the market but I individually do not value him that high.  I personally think the contracts given out are stupid high.  The top guys getting $40+ per year and 60%+ guaranteed is fine by me but I would not even think about giving that to anyone that could not carry the team and make me a SB contender.

"Second, although I do not believe Carr is worth $40 per year he is worth more than than $40 million guaranteed.  He has an incentive to rework his contract and lower his overall money while increasing his guaranteed money.  New contracts for QBs have been around 60% and above.  Right now he is around 33%"

So yes I did say it but it was not what I meant.  Sorry for the confusion but I sometimes speak from the perspective of other teams without stating it.

"Now I would not spend big on Carr but $30-35 is a team friendly deal.  That is Matt Ryan, Wentz, Goff, and Cousins money on old deals."  This is another example where I did it.  It is a team friendly deal for the NFL market but not how I would value him.  I need to do a better job of clarifying.

2 hours ago, Dessie said:

So anyone can make up allegations and Goodell is gonna act on it ? Do you know how ridiculous that is ? 

There would have to be smoke but the league does act sometimes without fire when it comes to the integrity of the league.  I thought there has been a couple tampering cases the past few years.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

SB contenders who have top QBs should pay it but anyone else should move on and draft a QB.  In the end this is going to cause more QBs to move up draft boards.  If Hooker does not get hurt we could have easily had 6 QBs go in the 1st.

58 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

There would have to be smoke but the league does act sometimes without fire when it comes to the integrity of the league.  I thought there has been a couple tampering cases the past few years.

So they would need evidence, you can’t expect the league to act without giving them something not just hearsay as I said. 

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

So yes I did say it but it was not what I meant. 

That’s all you needed to say. You said you hadn’t said it but glad we have cleared that up. 

7 minutes ago, Dessie said:

So they would need evidence, you can’t expect the league to act without giving them something not just hearsay as I said. 

That’s all you needed to say. You said you hadn’t said it but glad we have cleared that up. 

I agree there would have to be some evidence.

I did not remember how I said it but went back and looked.  You guys where correct.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

I agree there would have to be some evidence.

I did not remember how I said it but went back and looked.  You guys where correct.

I mean you did say he would be able to get more guaranteed money so it does like you are changing stance on what Carr will get in FA. 

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

"Second, although I do not believe Carr is worth $40 per year he is worth more than than $40 million guaranteed.  He has an incentive to rework his contract and lower his overall money while increasing his guaranteed money.  New contracts for QBs have been around 60% and above.  Right now he is around 33%"

So yes I did say it but it was not what I meant.  Sorry for the confusion but I sometimes speak from the perspective of other teams without stating it.

6 minutes ago, Dessie said:

I mean you did say he would be able to get more guaranteed money so it does like you are changing stance on what Carr will get in FA. 

I fully expect him to be able to get it because the league will value him that much.  I do not value him that much.  It is the difference between what is and what I think should be.

The way I wrote the first part seems like it is how I think it should be but I do not think the league as a whole would value Carr as a $40 million per year QB.  I should have wrote: Second, although I do not think he will get a $40 million per year contract teams will be willing to give him more than $40 million guaranteed on a restructure. 

I was just lazy writing but if I just read that from someone else I would probably take it the same way you did.

18 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I fully expect him to be able to get it because the league will value him that much.  I do not value him that much.  It is the difference between what is and what I think should be.

The way I wrote the first part seems like it is how I think it should be but I do not think the league as a whole would value Carr as a $40 million per year QB.  I should have wrote: Second, although I do not think he will get a $40 million per year contract teams will be willing to give him more than $40 million guaranteed on a restructure. 

I was just lazy writing but if I just read that from someone else I would probably take it the same way you did.

So you do think Carr will get more than $40m gtd so therefore not a big risk for him to go into FA. At this point you seem contradicting what you said earlier.