The New QB Thread: Who will be the Raiders QB next season?

RaidersAreOne

Who will be the Raiders QB next year?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. Raiders starter in 2023

• Derek Carr
    • Tom Brady
    • Jarrett Stidham
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Baker Mayfield
    • CJ Stroud
    • Bryce Young
    • Will Levis
    • Other (Please Specify)

13 hours ago, Geezy said:

great breakdown, thanks for sharing. 

few things about Stidham. I think he looks the part, and its not just this one game. Ive said as much in the preseason. He looked in command of the offense, and Idk if its an it factor type deal, but it doesnt look too big for him. Especially vs the best defense in the league. Hes displayed playmaker ability, both with his arm and his legs. He made one mistake that stood out vs SF, but KM needs to not get his lunch stolen in that situation. I think at times he makes decisions pre snap, i guess you cant be too mad when its to get the ball to the best WR in football lol but it could lead to trouble. Dude is tough as nails, and delivered some strikes while getting pummeled. He goes through his reads when he has time. That ball to Hollins over the middle, when he was his 3rd-4th read was a beauty. I like DC, but it was refreshing to see a QB let plays develop. I also like the fact Stid gives his playmakers an opportunity to make football plays, and not overly cautious and be able to throw guys open. Im not crowning him after one game, but im not saying he isnt the guy either. If he has a big game vs KC, i think you have to seriously consider him moving forward. I just hope McD has the balls to make that move in that scenario and not just run to his daddy TB12.

I know we can't extrapolate too much from just one game but there was some talk about bringing in Brock Purdy next year. I wouldn't necessarily be against that but from the very small sample size of that one game, to me Stidham looked the far superior QB to Purdy when they actually went head to head, especially given that Purdy was playing in a potential Championship side and Stidham is playing with our poor Oline and terrible defence. He'll probably come back down to earth with a little bump but you have to give him his due, he was the better QB on the field.

Also, I voted Stidham as he probably should be given a shot unless we can land Rodgers. That is who I'd go with but I think the FO will probably go with a totally uninspiring choice like Jimmy G ☹️

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

It’s crazy my bro is a bucs fan 🤦🏽‍♂️I kno I kno but he said he’d rather have carr than Brady right now. He said Brady is done and last year was it.

8 hours ago, Geezy said:

Maybe he’s distracted by the off the field stuff, but I don’t see the same guy either. 

The Bucs have injuries all over the Oline and have no running game. They are getting healthy and Brady has rolled the last 2 games. They are a dangerous team heading into the playoffs.

19 hours ago, #1RAIDER FAN said:

How do you watch the 2 breakdowns of Carr and Stidham and not get excited about next season? And a little bummed it took this long to see the offense.

Its the little things that make the biggest difference. Look at how he climbs the pocket, breaks out, keeps his eyes down field, and hits guys in stride. How many Carr throws have the receiver WIDE OPEN falling down making the catch. Stidham takes monster hits and delivers. Plays without fear. Extends plays. The 2 picks are unfortunate. He forced that last play, probably a little too hyped going into OT with the momentum.

All of a sudden, our studs look amazing. The play designs and calls catch the defense off guard. How many people want to keep Waller now? With that said, its 1 game and understandably that's certainly not enough time to make any long term judgement. Big week for Stidham coming up to show if he can replicate any success.

This is the only thing that matters.  The rest is great and a good start, but it's not enough to get excited about for me yet.  Carr had plenty of those games throughout his career, but just couldn't do it consistently.  We unfortunately won't know on Stidham, even after this weeks game.  Two good games in a row will make him a viable option though.

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I know we can't extrapolate too much from just one game but there was some talk about bringing in Brock Purdy next year. I wouldn't necessarily be against that but from the very small sample size of that one game, to me Stidham looked the far superior QB to Purdy when they actually went head to head, especially given that Purdy was playing in a potential Championship side and Stidham is playing with our poor Oline and terrible defence. He'll probably come back down to earth with a little bump but you have to give him his due, he was the better QB on the field.

Also, I voted Stidham as he probably should be given a shot unless we can land Rodgers. That is who I'd go with but I think the FO will probably go with a totally uninspiring choice like Jimmy G ☹️

I think I’d take the rest of the McD era off if they go with JG 

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Not a contract guy but I’m thinking 7mill /3yrs

I’m assuming 12-15 million AAV next season. 

Tyrod Taylor and Mariota signed for around 9 million last season. Winston signed for 14 million AAV. With the market value going up every season, that’s probably the range

Edited by bucksavage1

2 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I’m assuming 12-15 million AAV next season. 

Tyrod Taylor and Mariota signed for around 9 million last season. Winston signed for 14 million AAV. With the market value going up every season, that’s probably the range

He's not getting that on a 2 game sample in an offense he's been in 4 years. 

9 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Not sure man, but Jimmy got paid off of two starts. 

Jimmy had a favorable perception at the time. A talented 2nd round pick sitting behind Brady. Plus, the 49ers gave up good draft capital to land him.

I think teams would be more skeptical of Stidham who never took full advantage of having the opportunity to start once Brady left.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Justwinning said:

Jimmy had a favorable perception at the time. A talented 2nd round pick sitting behind Brady. Plus, the 49ers gave up good draft capital to land him.

I think teams would be more skeptical of Stidham who never took full advantage of having the opportunity to start once Brady left.

Yea that’s true, I don’t think he’d get Jimmy money, just saying teams do crazy things for QBs. 

• Like 2

If Stidham can put together another solid game against KC then I’m all in to have him as the bridge QB with a chance to be the guy long term. He knows the ins and outs of McDaniels system and showed a lot of intangibles Vs SF. Plus, he will be cheap so Ziegler can focus on spreading that money around to build up the OL and defense.

Talent is there and it’s not like he was a complete rando. He was a highly touted recruit in college.

• Like 2

I wonder if we cant get a 2023 1st for Carr, if we could get a 2024 1st for him. 
If so, and we miss out on young / stroud (most likely will), id take the 2024 first and go D in the first this year. 

Stopgap QB in FA with Stidham, heavy attention on the D in draft, with some OL fa and a big push for Payne
Then would have 2 firsts as ammo in 2024.