2023 Free Agency

Dessie

7 hours ago, true2form said:

This.

It's not about who is right or wrong about Carr.  It's about things that have never happened before in any similar situation.  You can say the Raiders were "smart", but that doesn't change the perception.

Imagine thinking Mark Davis is smart. Just look at his haircut 😂 Man couldn’t even tie his own shoes. We going be back at square one again in 2024. once Mcdaniels is fired for the losses piling up. No scapegoat for the impatient owner who consistently makes terrible decisions. Big shadow over his head to be a winner like his dad. 

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 3

On 1/25/2023 at 3:20 PM, NYRaider said:

Agreed. The decision to bench Carr wasn't because JMD has a personal vendetta against him, we were eliminated from playoff contention and it was literally 100% risk/0% reward playing him with how his contract is structured. The new regime didn't have to give Carr long term security but they did and they gave him the NTC. They just understand that they're not going to win at a high level with him and there jobs are on the line.

I think benching Carr killed his trade value. Every team now knows we are moving on. 
If we played him, we easily couldve said we are keeping him, while planning on trading him.
Plus in the draft if a qb is falling teams may not try to jump ahead of us. 

These are part of the risks of benching him that you are saying dont exist. 
To me they are factors that shouldve been considered when making the decisions. 

On 1/25/2023 at 1:20 PM, NYRaider said:

I'm just genuinely curious as to how we did Carr dirty in your opinion? 

Alright, I have time.  We benched him.  We are now getting rid of him (trade/cut) after we just signed D. Adams, his friend who he's been trying to get to sign with us for years.  Sure we gave him a no trade clause in his contract, but we signed him to 40M, and now we're backing out of the deal because our HC and GM don't think he's the guy.  So yeah they gave him the contract but now they're taking it off the table.  Now he has to move his family elsewhere.  He's been with this team for 9 years and we've decided to stick with a HC with a terrible record who was previously caught cheating and has never had a winning season.  They just fired him (DC). 

I don't know if you've ever been fired from a job but I'm pretty sure you don't want to hug and kiss your boss and tell him thank you and then tell him that even though they fired you, you're going to leave their company better off without you by providing them with assets for a brighter future while hurting the company that's about to hire you.  

If this doesn't make sense to you at all then I'm just going to stop responding.  I don't know how else to explain what it feels like to be fired after 9 years from what has been a pretty ****ty job and your 3 year contract rescinded because you didn't do as well as they wanted even though your immediate supervisor (the HC) has a losing record and another part of the company (the defense) failed to support the goals you were told to achieve (playoffs).  

If you were fired from your current job, would you turn around and help that company by hurting your new employer?  I wouldn't.  I would do everything I could to make sure my new employer was as successful as possible.  I don't understand why this isn't sinking in with you.  He still hasn't been traded btw.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Imagine thinking Mark Davis is smart. Just look at his haircut 😂 Man couldn’t even tie his own shoes. We going be back at square one again in 2024. once Mcdaniels is fired for the losses piling up. No scapegoat for the impatient owner who consistently makes terrible decisions. Big shadow over his head to be a winner like his dad. 

This is the big issue. 

Let's not kid ourselves, a couple of years ago when Davis got the Vegas deal, he had a vision:I

Move to Vegas with Jon Gruden at the helm and a couple of franchise guys, be contenders early, possibly play at home in the first Superbowl in Las Vegas. 

Then reality happened:

We became another Las Vegas stage act without a true hometown crowd on a consistent basis, Gruden was mediocre and got fired in embarrassment but only after squandering a historic amount of draft capital and totally gutting the team, a key future star murdered someone after enjoying the Las Vegas nightlife a bit too much, potential franchise guys became malcontent and/or injured, and we're now very much starting another rebuild with a coach who under practically any other circumstances would have been shown the door but for the owner being cheap and not wanting yet another egg on his face so quickly. 

Mark Davis blew the shot to be a beloved owner of a rabid fanbase, sold out, and is now trying to not look like a giant fool for the horrid decisions he's made. He's not in a place to make good, rational, positive decisions because he's too busy making reactionary ones to try and save face.

That's going to be an albatross for a while yet. 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 9:34 AM, BackinBlack said:

I think benching Carr killed his trade value. Every team now knows we are moving on. 
If we played him, we easily couldve said we are keeping him, while planning on trading him.
Plus in the draft if a qb is falling teams may not try to jump ahead of us. 

These are part of the risks of benching him that you are saying dont exist. 
To me they are factors that shouldve been considered when making the decisions. 

If he played and got hurt then we'd be on the hook for $40M regardless of if we traded him or not. Carr's play this season hurt his trade value more than anything else.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If he played and got hurt then we'd be on the hook for $40M regardless of if we traded him or not. Carr's play this season hurt his trade value more than anything else.

Still you said 100% risk 0% reward, playing Carr. 
teams now know we need to move him. 
will jump us in draft for a qb. 

playing him wouldve been risky I agree if he got hurt, but there was definitely some reward if done. IE, not telling the entire league what we are doing. 

Showing your hand, is not good in negotiations

Edit in -
also dont believe thats true, if you trade players teams take on their salary.
We just couldnt cut him and get the 30 mil back this year and 40mil in 24.
If traded, the new team would take on contract.

Same position as right now . . . 

Edited by BackinBlack

Raiders gonna have a whole lot of cap space. 16 million dollar increase. 22 Million currently without the increase and without Carrs free money and cuts 

With Carr being gone and the extra 16 they’re at 67 million 

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Raiders gonna have a whole lot of cap space. 16 million dollar increase. 22 Million currently without the increase and without Carrs free money and cuts 

With Carr being gone and the extra 16 they’re at 67 million 

With 60+ M in salary cap we really should go QB early in the draft and then fill out the OL and defense with the rest of the draft and FA.

4 minutes ago, Heart of Oak said:

Depends on which QB is available unless you are willing to trade up.

We should consider trading up.  Do it now and use the extra cap and whatever picks we have left to take care of the OL and defense.  I don't think we are going to be picking in the top 10 next year if we hit on the right QB and fill out the defense.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jerry said:

We should consider trading up.  Do it now and use the extra cap and whatever picks we have left to take care of the OL and defense.  I don't think we are going to be picking in the top 10 next year if we hit on the right QB and fill out the defense.

For me Stroud would have to be the choice. I am not trading up for a 185 lbs QB, Levis I flip flop on and Richardson intrigues me but he is a guy you have to work on before he starts I reckon.

• Like 1

Here is my free agent list of potential starter targets of interest:

QB: Lamar Jackson, Tom Brady,  Daniel Jones, Geno Smith, Jimmy G ( McDaniels ties), Jacoby Brissett (McDaniels ties)

DC likely gone, QB is on the radar. 

RB: S Barkley, Tony Pollard, Kareem Hunt, Miles Sanders, Alexander Mattison, Jamal Williams, David Montgomery, Rashad Penny, Devin Singletary, Damien Harris

Likely to keep Jacobs, but other starting options. 

WR: Jakobi Myers (doubt we look this direction but Patriot ties), DJ Chark, Richie James, Darius Slayton, Mecole Hardman, Parris Campbell, Odell Beckham, Nelson Agholor, Phillip Dorsett 

Mack Hollins might get paid. Raiders need more speed in the unit 

TE: Evan Engram, Dalton Shultz, Josh Oliver, Mike Gesicki, Irv Smith(potential), OJ Howard (potential), Austin Hooper, Dan Arnold

Moreau will likely leave, could maybe add another guy for TE sets. 

T: Mike McGlinchey, Kaleb McGary, Isaiah Wynn(patriot ties), Andre Dillard, Kelvin Bechum(old), Jawaan Taylor, Jawan James(injury concerns but talented), George Fant (average), Andrew Wylie (average) 

Eli might be gone, would create a hole at RT. 

G: Nate Davis, Isaac Seumalo, Dalton Risner, Ben Powers, Evan Brown, Aaron Stinnie, David Edwards

Unit is pathetic, need to sign 2 of these guys 

Center: Ethan Pocic, Garrett Bradberry, Connor McGovern, Jake Brendel 

James should be upgraded. OL needs to be a strength of the team

DE/Edge: Marcus Davenport, Yannick, Robert Quinn (old), Clowney, Trey Flowers, Shaq Lawson, Carlos Dunlap (old), Melvin Ingram (old), Justin Houston (old), Brandon Graham (old), Anthony Barr, Jameson Ebukam 

Ferrell is likely gone, and Chandler Jones is old. Could use more talent opposite of Maxx

DT: Daron Payne, Dalvin Tomlinson, Fletcher Cox, Javon Hargrave, David Onyemata, oannidis, Dremont Jones, Sheldon Rankins, Solomon Thomas

Unit is in bad shape. Could use 2 new starter level players. If Billings is not retained, NT might be in play. 

LB: TJ Edwards, Anthony Walker, Germaine Pratt, Tremaine Edmunds, Lavonte David (old), David Long, Vander Esch, Drue Tranquill, BOBBY OKEREKE, Jaylon Smith, Devin Bush (potential), Cole Holcomb, Denzel Perryman, Alex Anzalone, Cody Barton, Jayon Brown, Rahsaan Evans, Nicholas Morrow, Deion Jones, Azeez Al-Shaair

don't have much on the roster. Could probably sign two of these guys. 

CB: Jamal Dean, Byron Murphy, James Bradberry, Marcus Peters, Sean Murphy-Bunting,  Johnathan Jones, Cameron Sutton, Mike Hilton, Anthony Brown , Greedy Williams , Duke Shelley , Isaiah Oliver

Rock is 50/50 to comeback. Might need one of these guys. 

S: Jesse Bates, Taylor Rapp, Ryan Neal, Vonn Bell, Juan Thornhill, Jimmie Ward (old), Jordan Pryor, Deshon Elliot, Donovan Wilson, Chancey Gardner Johnson, Adrian Amos, Rodney Mcleod, Terrell Edmunds, Julian Love, Logan Ryan (old), Eric Rowe, Keanu Neal, 

Could probably upgrade from Harmon for cheap. Team also needs a 3rd safety. 

Can't wait for March 15th

21 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

How would people feel about a Khalil reunion if cut by the Chargers? IIRC he's due for a huge chunk of change and they are having cap issues I read.

Of course having him and Jones is an interested vet duo, but maybe we could get creative with their deployment? 

He’s going to want to get paid, that’d be so much money into one group when we have holes on the interior, Lb, secondary, and OL