2023 Free Agency

Dessie

Ziegler interview from yesterday:

https://theathletic.com/4349830/2023/03/26/raiders-dave-ziegler-exclusive-interview/?source=emp_shared_article

Pretty much on brand. Good look into their thought process.

Overview:

Talks about how a lot of teams (cites Cheifs) go into FA with established rosters. Not many holes. Aspires to get to a point of having an established roster. 

Realizes they have a lot of holes and can't plug them all in one FA period. Trying to improve depth and culture fits with guys who have a chips on their shoulder and an edge. 

Understands they are not one piece away from a roster construct. Trying to allocate resources in all areas. Going big in one spot, leaves holes in others. 

On Jimmy G. - Leader, proven winner, familiarity, guy the locker room gravitates to. Understands there is a caveat to all that. 

On Waller - Opportunity to swap out for younger player (Meyers) and a 3rd round pick. Meyers good between the numbers, where Jimmy excels. 

Likes versatility of WR group. Doesn't see any overlap, but rather guys who match Jimmy G's skillset and can lineup anywhere.

Oline - Preaches continuity and value of that. Said there will be opportunities to improve that group be it FA or the draft

Defense - Preaches homegrown talent. Need to grow out of filling several holes in FA. Want a young core group with the right DNA all pulling together. 

Talks up 2nd year players they expect to make the jump having seen what they are capable of in training.   

TLDR:

Roster has a ton of holes. Wants to be diligent in building a young core group with likeminded DNA all pulling in the same direction. Wants to work to having an established roster where you only need to plug in one or two guys in FA. Continuity in players and coaches is valued. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Ziegler interview from yesterday:

https://theathletic.com/4349830/2023/03/26/raiders-dave-ziegler-exclusive-interview/?source=emp_shared_article

Pretty much on brand. Good look into their thought process.

Overview:

Talks about how a lot of teams (cites Cheifs) go into FA with established rosters. Not many holes. Aspires to get to a point of having an established roster. 

Realizes they have a lot of holes and can't plug them all in one FA period. Trying to improve depth and culture fits with guys who have a chips on their shoulder and an edge. 

Understands they are not one piece away from a roster construct. Trying to allocate resources in all areas. Going big in one spot, leaves holes in others. 

On Jimmy G. - Leader, proven winner, familiarity, guy the locker room gravitates to. Understands there is a caveat to all that. 

On Waller - Opportunity to swap out for younger player (Meyers) and a 3rd round pick. Meyers good between the numbers, where Jimmy excels. 

Likes versatility of WR group. Doesn't see any overlap, but rather guys who match Jimmy G's skillset and can lineup anywhere.

Oline - Preaches continuity and value of that. Said there will be opportunities to improve that group be it FA or the draft

Defense - Preaches homegrown talent. Need to grow out of filling several holes in FA. Want a young core group with the right DNA all pulling together. 

Talks up 2nd year players they expect to make the jump having seen what they are capable of in training.   

TLDR:

Roster has a ton of holes. Wants to be diligent in building a young core group with likeminded DNA all pulling in the same direction. Wants to work to having an established roster where you only need to plug in one or two guys in FA. Continuity in players and coaches is valued. 

So basically he justified their decision making process to completely ignore the offensive line and defense again using buzzwords like "continuity" and "homegrown talent" when those same ideas don't apply to our skill position guys.

Ziegler sounds like a HS guidance counselor, he gives sugar coated answers. 

I was always taught when I first started in scouting back in Denver that the most important aspect of scouting is knowing your team and honest reflection of where your team is at and honest evaluations of where your team is at. And so, I value that a lot. You can get in the habit of making your team better or worse than it is, you know what I mean? You can go either way in terms of your strengths and your weaknesses. So, I think the self-awareness piece of it has developed over just what ingrained and taught as I came up. The most important part is honest reflection about your own roster and where it’s at. That’s not just something that I do on my own; that’s something that we do with the whole scouting department and the coaching staff. We come together as a group to understand where we’re at.

Looking at the roster and being honest about where it's at led them to prioritizing Jimmy G / Jakobi Meyers while scraping the bottom of the barrel for the OL / defense?

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

So basically he justified their decision making process to completely ignore the offensive line and defense again using buzzwords like "continuity" and "homegrown talent" when those same ideas don't apply to our skill position guys.

Exactly, all of this garbage means nothing if they win 4ish games.  If he is banking on being competitive with this collection of scrubs and players who are not happy he will be in for a big letdown.  

The big question is does his boy JM survive a 4ish win season?  I think DZ will be given a longer leash but not by much.  If the product we field is an embarrassment will Lloyd Christmas pull the plug on this experiment?  

• Like 1

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

Exactly, all of this garbage means nothing if they win 4ish games.  If he is banking on being competitive with this collection of scrubs and players who are not happy he will be in for a big letdown.  

The big question is does his boy JM survive a 4ish win season?  I think DZ will be given a longer leash but not by much.  If the product we field is an embarrassment will Lloyd Christmas pull the plug on this experiment?  

It's just hilarious to read Ziegler defend their lack of interest / effort in improving the defense / offensive line for the second consecutive off-season. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It's just hilarious to read Ziegler defend their lack of interest / effort in improving the defense / offensive line for the second consecutive off-season. 

My guess is that he is in a bind because no one wants to play here.  He can't come out and say it rather he makes excuses and claims he is getting "their" type of players while nearly all of those players are average to below average.  When those players **** the bed next year i wonder what his excuse will be? 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

My guess is that he is in a bind because no one wants to play here.  He can't come out and say it rather he makes excuses and claims he is getting "their" type of players while nearly all of those players are average to below average.  When those players **** the bed next year i wonder what his excuse will be? 

I just think it's an inexperienced GM/HC being arrogant about their ability to identify talent later in the draft and coach guys up. They're basically following the Grudock blueprint of investing heavily into the skill guys and scraping the bottom of the barrel for OL/defense.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Geezy said:

What Zeigler said makes sense. They filled holes with vets that will allow them to go BPA. They are sticking with their young guys and betting on them developing. 

When you look at RG, CB, LB, QB2, and DT can you really say that we're in position to go BPA? They only signed Spillane at LB, didn't bring in any OL, and only signed Jenkins at DT. 

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Interesting Ya-Sin is still out there. The market is so poor for the secondary, would be nice to sign him back on the cheap. 

He has been injury prone and basically has 0 ball skills so I can see why teams aren't that interested.

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Not at all what he said, but let's keep the narratives going for those who need them I suppose..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Not at all what he said, but let's keep the narratives going for those who need them I suppose..

We'll see how the draft goes but through 1.5 offseason's the lack of investment that they've placed into the OL and defense is extremely evident. 

For me it's just hard to justify signing Meyers / Jimmy G if they're actually being honest about where the roster is at when making personnel decisions. 

Edited by NYRaider

30 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We'll see how the draft goes but through 1.5 offseason's the lack of investment that they've placed into the OL and defense is extremely evident. 

For me it's just hard to justify signing Meyers / Jimmy G if they're actually being honest about where the roster is at when making personnel decisions. 

The OL was playing decent 2nd half of the season minus Bars RG is the only real emergency at the moment and maybe Muti stays healthy and wins the job. They will still add someone I'm sure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

The OL was playing decent 2nd half of the season minus Bars RG is the only real emergency at the moment and maybe Muti stays healthy and wins the job. They will still add someone I'm sure.

But again if someone like Muti is even in the discussion to be a starter it shows how little talent you have on the OL.

34 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Not really. They wanted a QB they were familiar with who they trust to lead. They swapped out Waller for Meyers and a 3rd. That's good business on paper. 

Oline, they need a G and he addressed that could still come in FA or the upcoming draft. Still several vets out there when the prices are right. 

Defensive, they are trusting their coaches to develop guys they like to make a jump in year 2. They have to many holes to sink resources on 1 player and expect to fix everything. 

Long time until week 1. I'm still watching to see where things land. The approach is correct, even if fans want instant gratification. The roster need a lot and they need to build it from the ground up. Not try and force it with FA signings that generally are not worth the price tag. 

• Like 3