2023 Free Agency

Dessie

Just now, big_palooka said:

Not really. They wanted a QB they were familiar with who they trust to lead. They swapped out Waller for Meyers and a 3rd. That's good business on paper. 

Oline, they need a G and he addressed that could still come in FA or the upcoming draft. Still several vets out there when the prices are right. 

Defensive, they are trusting their coaches to develop guys they like to make a jump in year 2. They have to many holes to sink resources on 1 player and expect to fix everything. 

Long time until week 1. I'm still watching to see where things land. The approach is correct, even if fans want instant gratification. The roster need a lot and they need to build it from the ground up. Not try and force it with FA signings that generally are not worth the price tag. 

But if you're being honest about where the team is currently at, then most would probably accept that it's time to consider a rebuild. Signing Jimmy G and Meyers doesn't indicate that you're a team looking to rebuild, it indicates that you're trying to remain competitive now. And will likely lead us to the same spot we've been in the last few years with Carr, not bad enough to acquire a pick to take a franchise QB, but not good enough to be a contender. It's literally the worst spot that you can be in as a professional sports team. 

But again, when you look around at the elite / competitive teams in the NFL, they all invest into the trenches. They're not scraping the bottom of the barrel for guys so that they can add a WR2. 

I'd feel more confident in their plan to develop guys if they actually emphasized bringing in young talent over the last two off-seasons. They haven't really done anything to show that they're committed to building a good OL or defense. 

The approach of ignoring OL / defense with the 25th cap allotment to OL / 30th cap allotment to defense while giving out a ton of big deals to skill guys is the right approach? Going after Jimmy G, Meyers, Adams, etc. are moves that you make for instant gratification, lol. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

But again if someone like Muti is even in the discussion to be a starter it shows how little talent you have on the OL.

He was a top 5 OL prospect before all the injuries he graded positively in limited snaps last year so you never know, but I'm sure we adding someone so .

3 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

He was a top 5 OL prospect before all the injuries he graded positively in limited snaps last year so you never know, but I'm sure we adding someone so .

He was a top 5 OL as a RS freshman in the Mountain West? He only started 3 games after his freshman year.

33 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

But if you're being honest about where the team is currently at, then most would probably accept that it's time to consider a rebuild. Signing Jimmy G and Meyers doesn't indicate that you're a team looking to rebuild, it indicates that you're trying to remain competitive now. And will likely lead us to the same spot we've been in the last few years with Carr, not bad enough to acquire a pick to take a franchise QB, but not good enough to be a contender. It's literally the worst spot that you can be in as a professional sports team. 

But again, when you look around at the elite / competitive teams in the NFL, they all invest into the trenches. They're not scraping the bottom of the barrel for guys so that they can add a WR2. 

I'd feel more confident in their plan to develop guys if they actually emphasized bringing in young talent over the last two off-seasons. They haven't really done anything to show that they're committed to building a good OL or defense. 

The approach of ignoring OL / defense with the 25th cap allotment to OL / 30th cap allotment to defense while giving out a ton of big deals to skill guys is the right approach? Going after Jimmy G, Meyers, Adams, etc. are moves that you make for instant gratification, lol. 

To me you don't have to outright suck and throw in the towel to rebuild. Taking a measured approach is fine. 

There is more than one way to skin a cat. You don't have to go scorched earth, trade Crosby, Adams, etc for high unpredictable draft picks ala Gruden. 

They are investing in the trenches. They drafted 4 players in the trenches last year alone. It's just not what YOU want to see which is a big name signing. 

So.... if they draft Dline and Oline with their top 100 picks, will people finally shut up about investing in the trenches? Or does this narrative still continue? The season doesn't start for 6 months ffs.

• Like 2

At this point in the offseason the factions seem to have taken shape with Palooka, BuckSavage, Raider4Life, and I being the group that is cautiously optimistic and waiting for the entirety of the offseason to happen before writing off the current front office. Most of the rest of the board feels like this regime has bombed this offseason and they’ve seen enough and are about done with McZiegler. 

If nothing else, it will be fun to watch the rest of the offseason and next season unfold to see who was correct. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

We'll see how the draft goes but through 1.5 offseason's the lack of investment that they've placed into the OL and defense is extremely evident. 

For me it's just hard to justify signing Meyers / Jimmy G if they're actually being honest about where the roster is at when making personnel decisions. 

For me it comes down to #7. If they go QB or even trade up, I’ll be concerned. They need to go defense heavy and start using premium picks on that side to level out the roster a bit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

The OL was playing decent 2nd half of the season minus Bars RG is the only real emergency at the moment and maybe Muti stays healthy and wins the job. They will still add someone I'm sure.

And like Zeigler said, continuity counts. Add some young competition and another vet and they’ll be solid. I’m hoping Munford takes a step forward and gives us a RTOTF.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

When you look at RG, CB, LB, QB2, and DT can you really say that we're in position to go BPA? They only signed Spillane at LB, didn't bring in any OL, and only signed Jenkins at DT. 

Part of that is counting on guys they took last year taking another step. For better or worse, they are trying to draft and develop. Something we haven’t been able to do since the 80s. 

37 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

To me you don't have to outright suck and throw in the towel to rebuild. Taking a measured approach is fine. 

There is more than one way to skin a cat. You don't have to go scorched earth, trade Crosby, Adams, etc for high unpredictable draft picks ala Gruden. 

They are investing in the trenches. They drafted 4 players in the trenches last year alone. It's just not what YOU want to see which is a big name signing. 

So.... if they draft Dline and Oline with their top 100 picks, will people finally shut up about investing in the trenches? Or does this narrative still continue? The season doesn't start for 6 months ffs.

You don’t but if you’re actually trying to rebuild with a subpar OL and arguably the worst defense in the league is prioritizing Jakobi Meyers a measured approach? 

Gruden moved on from Cooper / Mack the new regime has moved on from Carr / Waller. The difference is Gruden got 3 FRPs, the new owner regime got a 3rd.

It’s easy to see the drastic disparity in the amount of resources they’ve invested into the skill position guys in comparison to the offensive line and defense. They’re literally paying a handful of offensive skill guys more than the entire D combined 

Edited by NYRaider

4 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Part of that is counting on guys they took last year taking another step. For better or worse, they are trying to draft and develop. Something we haven’t been able to do since the 80s. 

That’s why they traded our first two picks last year?

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You don’t but if you’re actually trying to rebuild with a subpar OL and arguably the worst defense in the league is prioritizing Jakobi Meyers a measured approach? 

Gruden moved on from Cooper / Mack the new regime has moved on from Carr / Waller. The difference is Gruden got 3 FRPs, the new owner regime got a 3rd.

It’s easy to see the drastic disparity in the amount of resources they’ve invested into the skill position guys in comparison to the offensive line and defense. They’re literally paying a handful of offensive skill guys more than the entire D combined 

Yes, swapping out Waller for a 3rd and Meyers is a measured approach. Offense stays potent without any additional money invested in it. It's the strength of the team, so let be the strength.

The defense is a work in progress. It's the product of 5 years worth of poor drafts. Outside Crosby, they had nothing else tangible to invest in. They have a handful of young guys Hobbs, Moehrig, Deablo that if they can take a step things will be a lot better. And a lot of draft picks they can allocate on that side of the ball. 

You and others are salty because you hope they throw a much of funny money at the defense to "fix it". Basically overpay one or two guys because "fix it" vs. coaching up guys, drafting well and being patient in getting it right. 

And again.... it's 6 months until week 1, so there will be a lot changes to come. 

Now... if they go into the draft and draft a bunch of offensive players early, I might change my tune. But I don't see that happening. 

The strength of this draft is defense and they will get a chance to get a lot better quick if they hit it right.  

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That’s why they traded our first two picks last year?

They went all in last year. Which was understandable coming off a playoff appearance. It went to ****, they seen how the lack of depth hindered the team now they want to build through the draft. We aren’t 1 or two players away. Fill holes in FA and draft BPA. We’re way too top heavy to build through FA.

• Like 1

This will come down to how well they draft. This is the way to do it. No more band aid solutions. Good teams are but through the draft. No more winning FA, win **** that matters, games. 

also, got to give props to Mark. He buys into his regimes and Let’s them go about things accordingly. It may or may not work out but he doesn’t meddle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpaulthe1st said:

At this point in the offseason the factions seem to have taken shape with Palooka, BuckSavage, Raider4Life, and I being the group that is cautiously optimistic and waiting for the entirety of the offseason to happen before writing off the current front office. Most of the rest of the board feels like this regime has bombed this offseason and they’ve seen enough and are about done with McZiegler. 

If nothing else, it will be fun to watch the rest of the offseason and next season unfold to see who was correct. 

Was expecting a 1st (and a 3rd round) pick for Carr cautiously optimistic ?

52 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Yes, swapping out Waller for a 3rd and Meyers is a measured approach. Offense stays potent without any additional money invested in it. It's the strength of the team, so let be the strength.

The defense is a work in progress. It's the product of 5 years worth of poor drafts. Outside Crosby, they had nothing else tangible to invest in. They have a handful of young guys Hobbs, Moehrig, Deablo that if they can take a step things will be a lot better. And a lot of draft picks they can allocate on that side of the ball. 

You and others are salty because you hope they throw a much of funny money at the defense to "fix it". Basically overpay one or two guys because "fix it" vs. coaching up guys, drafting well and being patient in getting it right. 

And again.... it's 6 months until week 1, so there will be a lot changes to come. 

Now... if they go into the draft and draft a bunch of offensive players early, I might change my tune. But I don't see that happening. 

The strength of this draft is defense and they will get a chance to get a lot better quick if they hit it right.  

We started the offseason with the third most cap space in the league and there's not a single position group on the roster that you can argue is improved going into the draft outside of WR2. 

The offense was also a part of the 5 years worth of poor drafts though. They've just made it a priority in both free agent periods to go after high priced, high profile offensive skill guys. Hobbs, Moehrig, and Deablo just like basically every other returnee we had took a step back under Graham. 

I didn't want to throw "funny money" at the defense to fix it but it would've been nice to invest money into the 30th highest paid unit in the league in an offseason where guys are getting below projected market value.

McDaniels is "an offensive guru" yet needs to spend a league leading amount on his weapons while every other unit on the team suffers due to a lack of talent and resources invested. Why can't they draft well, be patient, and coach guys up if the offensive staff is as great as they portray themselves to be?

Edited by NYRaider