2023 Free Agency

Dessie

23 minutes ago, Geezy said:

They went all in last year. Which was understandable coming off a playoff appearance. It went to ****, they seen how the lack of depth hindered the team now they want to build through the draft. We aren’t 1 or two players away. Fill holes in FA and draft BPA. We’re way too top heavy to build through FA.

They miss assessed basically every major decision last offseason. They decided not to retain Bradley and dumped all of his guys defensively including Yannick to bring in their own guys like Chandler Jones who looked terrible. Extended Carr/Waller just to immediately trade them, extended Renfrow who didn't fit their system, declined Jacobs 5th year option who proceeded to ball out. They realize that we aren't a player or two away yet depleted our cap space almost immediately on Jimmy G and Jakobi Meyers to replace guys that they just gave massive deals last offseason. 

7 minutes ago, Geezy said:

This will come down to how well they draft. This is the way to do it. No more band aid solutions. Good teams are but through the draft. No more winning FA, win **** that matters, games. 

also, got to give props to Mark. He buys into his regimes and Let’s them go about things accordingly. It may or may not work out but he doesn’t meddle. 

Agreed. How well players develop from last year and how well the draft this year will determine the outcome of this regime. I hope Davis stays patient in the vision. Can't be hard to sell him on how poorly they've drafted since he's owned the team. 

I thought Ziegler said it well

I think there’s a part of us going into free agency where we’re addressing needs. The inverse of that is there’s some teams that go into free agency where their rosters may be a lot more established. Whoever it is, whether it’s the Chiefs or some of those different teams where they may be going into free agency and they’re saying like, “Hey, we’re targeting these three players,” do you know what I mean? … There’s that kind of realm of free agency. Obviously, we hope to build to get that. 

Need to build an established roster. You do that through the draft. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpaulthe1st said:

At this point in the offseason the factions seem to have taken shape with Palooka, BuckSavage, Raider4Life, and I being the group that is cautiously optimistic and waiting for the entirety of the offseason to happen before writing off the current front office. Most of the rest of the board feels like this regime has bombed this offseason and they’ve seen enough and are about done with McZiegler. 

If nothing else, it will be fun to watch the rest of the offseason and next season unfold to see who was correct. 

I dont agree with every move theyve made, but have said a number of times need to give them 3 years minimum. 
Canning them after next season would be brutal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

For me it comes down to #7. If they go QB or even trade up, I’ll be concerned. They need to go defense heavy and start using premium picks on that side to level out the roster a bit. 

Agreed, pick up a QB in the mid- later rounds. Focus on the defense pick up DE, CB in the first 2 rounds and go from there. 

2 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I dont agree with every move theyve made, but have said a number of times need to give them 3 years minimum. 
Canning them after next season would be brutal.

This draft will be huge for them, last years class outside of Parham doesn't look too promising after their rookie year. Both of their first two free agent hauls look to be pretty mediocre. 

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Do they understand that they can draft a QB / WR too? Or is spending funny money the only way?

What would you prefer happen?

Sign a Sam Darnold level QB, trade Waller and invest that money in one or two overpaid defensive guys? 

To each there own, I'm done with this conversation until the roster is set. Just pointless at this stage. 

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

What would you prefer happen?

Sign a Sam Darnold level QB, trade Waller and invest that money in one or two overpaid defensive guys? 

To each there own, I'm done with this conversation until the roster is set. Just pointless at this stage. 

No I'd prefer they did exactly what they've done, there's no reason to have any concerns about it.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

This draft will be huge for them, last years class outside of Parham doesn't look too promising after their rookie year. Both of their first two free agent hauls look to be pretty mediocre. 

If Carter falls to them at 7 they have too. Him and Maxx together could setup our D for a long time. 

would just love to know their internal convos with Mark. Praying they know they have time and can build the proper way. 

Last offseason wasn’t the best, but, they landed Adams. They made moves to be aggressive year one, and injuries hurt them. Our crappy dead money hurt and we had. O depth. 
just keep building, takes time.

11 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

If Carter falls to them at 7 they have too. Him and Maxx together could setup our D for a long time. 

would just love to know their internal convos with Mark. Praying they know they have time and can build the proper way. 

Last offseason wasn’t the best, but, they landed Adams. They made moves to be aggressive year one, and injuries hurt them. Our crappy dead money hurt and we had. O depth. 
just keep building, takes time.

I think the biggest mistake that they made was moving on from Gus Bradley. He was reportedly interested in coming back and Mark Davis was pitching the idea to potential candidates. Replacing him also resulted in a mass exodus defensively as we lost Yannick, Hayward, Jefferson, Thomas, Philon, Wright, etc. And all of the guys that Bradley handpicked in the draft (Koonce, Hobbs, Moehrig, Deablo) took a step back in Graham's scheme. Had they brought him back and just built on the foundation he was setting I think there's a good chance we could've had an average defense and been a playoff team again.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

They miss assessed basically every major decision last offseason. They decided not to retain Bradley and dumped all of his guys defensively including Yannick to bring in their own guys like Chandler Jones who looked terrible. Extended Carr/Waller just to immediately trade them, extended Renfrow who didn't fit their system, declined Jacobs 5th year option who proceeded to ball out. They realize that we aren't a player or two away yet depleted our cap space almost immediately on Jimmy G and Jakobi Meyers to replace guys that they just gave massive deals last offseason. 

They didn't deplete anything on Meyers they literally got Meyers and Hooper for Waller's salary.

1 minute ago, raidr4life said:

They didn't deplete anything on Meyers they literally got Meyers and Hooper for Waller's salary.

Yeah it's pretty amazing to see how they burnt through over $50M in cap space this offseason and didn't really get better anywhere other than WR2.