2023 Free Agency

Dessie

On 1/29/2023 at 8:38 AM, BackinBlack said:

Still you said 100% risk 0% reward, playing Carr. 
teams now know we need to move him. 
will jump us in draft for a qb. 

playing him wouldve been risky I agree if he got hurt, but there was definitely some reward if done. IE, not telling the entire league what we are doing. 

Showing your hand, is not good in negotiations

Edit in -
also dont believe thats true, if you trade players teams take on their salary.
We just couldnt cut him and get the 30 mil back this year and 40mil in 24.
If traded, the new team would take on contract.

Same position as right now . . . 

There was minimal upside in playing him over the final two games, if we did play him it wouldn't have telegraphed our plan. But it's not like we had a ton of leverage either way, we have to commit or move on from him a month before the new league year starts so teams would've known as soon as the season ended regardless. 

The new regime basically screwed themselves with the way that they structured the deal because we have such a tight deadline and Carr has to sign off on any potential deal either way. Based on the way the deal was structured I don't think that they really ever had any intention of moving on from him after this season. But committing to move on from him early gave them more time to explore potential trades. It also didn't help that Carr and his camp were extremely vocal about the team's decision to move on before anyone else really reported on it. 

That makes me feel better, personally I don't really see anyway that we get a trade done before the February 15th deadline. But I think there's a good chance we hold onto him and look to trade him early in free agency as I'm sure teams will be more motivated if they miss on other veteran options.

On 1/27/2023 at 9:36 AM, Jerry said:

Alright, I have time.  We benched him.  We are now getting rid of him (trade/cut) after we just signed D. Adams, his friend who he's been trying to get to sign with us for years.  Sure we gave him a no trade clause in his contract, but we signed him to 40M, and now we're backing out of the deal because our HC and GM don't think he's the guy.  So yeah they gave him the contract but now they're taking it off the table.  Now he has to move his family elsewhere.  He's been with this team for 9 years and we've decided to stick with a HC with a terrible record who was previously caught cheating and has never had a winning season.  They just fired him (DC). 

The thing about it though is that Carr knew what he was getting into when he signed the contract. They didn't ask him to play on the final year of his deal, they gave him more GTD money and essentially said "we're willing to pay you like an elite QB if you show us that you can play like one in our system." Not only that they also gave him a no trade clause and set the deadline a month before the new league year begins, which puts him in a really good spot. He can help the team negotiate a trade and keep his current contract or he can choose to test his luck in free agency and he'll have a month to prepare and will hit the market as soon as the new league year starts so his camp can negotiate a nice new contract elsewhere. 

It's pretty clear based on everything that's been reported Mark Davis hasn't been high on Carr for awhile but the new regime wanted him to be the guy going forward. Things didn't work out but they gave him the freedom to choose his next destination and the timing basically ensures that Carr will land on his feet at his next stop. 

I'm not a huge fan of McDaniels but they realized it was time to move on from him. Things didn't go as planned this year and Carr did get kind of a rough deal but he regressed as the season went on and I don't think JMD/DZ were comfortable putting their jobs on his shoulders going forward when he has had a lot of the same issues for years under different regimes and circumstances. 

Carr's a solid player and I think he can be successful with his next team if they can protect him and pair him with a strong defense. But it seems like their decision to move on wasn't purely because of his regression on the field, based on reports he didn't really seem to vibe with the culture that they're trying to build and other guys in the locker room. 

I love Josh Jacobs and he was definitely elite for us this season but I'm personally okay with moving on. I'm assuming he's going to want $14-15M+ but he only has one year of elite production that came in a contract year and we're not really in position to be paying top tier money to a RB with all of our other holes. I think there's a better chance that he regresses to the mean (like Zeke) going forward than him continuing to produce at an elite level. 

I'd prefer to sign someone like Kareem Hunt or Damien Harris and let them split carries with Zamir.

12 hours ago, NYRaider said:

There was minimal upside in playing him over the final two games, if we did play him it wouldn't have telegraphed our plan. But it's not like we had a ton of leverage either way, we have to commit or move on from him a month before the new league year starts so teams would've known as soon as the season ended regardless. 

The new regime basically screwed themselves with the way that they structured the deal because we have such a tight deadline and Carr has to sign off on any potential deal either way. Based on the way the deal was structured I don't think that they really ever had any intention of moving on from him after this season. But committing to move on from him early gave them more time to explore potential trades. It also didn't help that Carr and his camp were extremely vocal about the team's decision to move on before anyone else really reported on it. 

That makes me feel better, personally I don't really see anyway that we get a trade done before the February 15th deadline. But I think there's a good chance we hold onto him and look to trade him early in free agency as I'm sure teams will be more motivated if they miss on other veteran options.

I just think that if we 'commit' to him and act like he will be our starter passed the feb 15th deadline, there are more opportunties that teams will call you to see if they could pry Carr away. As soon as teams know a QB is available, they start to wonder why. If you act like he is your guy, then they think lets go get him. I dont know obviously its a risk, but even if no one trades for him, you can still draft a young guy to develop under Carr. 
If Carr looks better year 2 then maybe his trade value goes back up. 

I agree the contract wasnt great. But its what we signed, and have to work with it now unfortunately,  I just dont see how cutting a guy after turning down a hefty deal for him the year prior is the right move. 

I think benching him, keeping him at home those last 2 weeks is why hed end up being cut not traded. It put the league on notice. Was there no way Carr could be around the locker room? That is what it really comes down too, and I cant see why JMD would tell him to go home. 

1 minute ago, BackinBlack said:

I just think that if we 'commit' to him and act like he will be our starter passed the feb 15th deadline, there are more opportunties that teams will call you to see if they could pry Carr away. As soon as teams know a QB is available, they start to wonder why. If you act like he is your guy, then they think lets go get him. I dont know obviously its a risk, but even if no one trades for him, you can still draft a young guy to develop under Carr. 
If Carr looks better year 2 then maybe his trade value goes back up. 

I agree the contract wasnt great. But its what we signed, and have to work with it now unfortunately,  I just dont see how cutting a guy after turning down a hefty deal for him the year prior is the right move. 

I think benching him, keeping him at home those last 2 weeks is why hed end up being cut not traded. It put the league on notice. Was there no way Carr could be around the locker room? That is what it really comes down too, and I cant see why JMD would tell him to go home. 

It seems like you're onto something as the Athletic just reported we're having trouble finding a trade partner because teams know we're going to cut him and think they can sign him on a more favorable deal. 

I don't think bringing Carr back with a young, highly drafted guy behind him would've worked. Based on all the reports we've heard out of the locker room he doesn't strike me as someone that would be a willing mentor to his replacement. 

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think bringing Carr back with a young, highly drafted guy behind him would've worked. Based on all the reports we've heard out of the locker room he doesn't strike me as someone that would be a willing mentor to his replacement. 

that is fair question, and Carr def wouldve been P off if we took a Qb round 1 im sure. 
Marriotta and Carr seemed to have a decent friendship though, but maybe that was Gruden telling Carr he is def starter?

I dont think too many QBs actually mentor their apparent backups, Favre hated rodgers pick, rodgers hated love pick etc. 
Tough shii, we drafted a young QB, you are still are starter this year, go make us look silly. 

Just now, BackinBlack said:

that is fair question, and Carr def wouldve been P off if we took a Qb round 1 im sure. 
Marriotta and Carr seemed to have a decent friendship though, but maybe that was Gruden telling Carr he is def starter?

I dont think too many QBs actually mentor their apparent backups, Favre hated rodgers pick, rodgers hated love pick etc. 
Tough shii, we drafted a young QB, you are still are starter this year, go make us look silly. 

Carr was pouting on the sideline this year because JMD was harsh on him during film sessions. He doesn't seem to have the capacity to take his emotions out of things and takes things personally. 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Carr was pouting on the sideline this year because JMD was harsh on him during film sessions. He doesn't seem to have the capacity to take his emotions out of things and takes things personally. 

haha its funny you remember him pouting on the sidelines this year, because to me my biggest hate of carrs season was him laughing on the sidelines in Jax after kicking a short FG.