2023 Free Agency

Dessie

8 hours ago, Rolni said:

I think they made a mistake last year, when they arrived.

They thought that they can be competitive with DC and that roster if they add D.Adams and C.Jones.

I think they thought that they will be able to get a lot more out of the roster then Gruden and Co could. 

They were a bit cocky in that regard.

During the season they realized that they misjudged Carr and the roster. They realized that they need a new QB and they need to rebuild the roster.

What we see now is the rebuild and not a flashy one. If you check the roster this team starts to be pretty deep in most positions. We are still short in quality starters, especially in the Defense, but our overall depth is a lot better then anytime lately.

We have a solid veteran guy at QB for a lot less then DC and we have a chance to add a young gun via draft.

Check the skill positions...RB, WR and TE rooms are pretty stacked.

At RB we have a star player, we have a capable veteran 3rd down guy, we have a bunch of young guys with some potential. 

At WR we have maybe the deepest and possibly one of the best groups in the NFL. Proven star #1 in Adams and then we have Meyers and Renfrow to form a possibly great 1-3. Then there will be a great battle for those 2, maybe 3 spots. We have 8 guys for that before the draft and Dorsett, Carter, Cole we have some young veterans in the mix too. In Carter (and maybe Turner) we have our returner(s) IMO, so Renfrow can stay at WR and stay healthy hopefully.

At TE we have Hooper, who can be a nice under the radar pick up for us.
"Austin Hooper has made a career being an elite receiver between 0 and 15 yards of the LOS (career 89.7 PFF grade) Josh McDaniels love using the TE inside 10 yards, could be a career year for Hooper." 
Howard, Horsted and possibly Cam Sims could form a solid group behind Hooper and we can possibly add another guy during the draft.

The OL is a risk for sure, but with a strong draft it could be a solid unit IMO.

Kolton Miller is a fixture at LT and Elumunor looked like an average RT last year. If he can clean up his penalty issues he could be a solid RT. A full offseason at RT could be helpfull with those. The OT position should be alright with those guys and with Parker and Munford as depth. 

Andre James returns as a slightly below average OC, but with improved OG play he could be an average guy. Grasu is solid depth behind him, however Parham could be the OC if Andre misses significant time. Alex Bars can be an emergency OC too.

Dylan Parham returns to start at LG or RG. He was a bit weak, but servicable as a rookie. A full offseason should help him take a step forward. Muti, Bars, Murray seems to be solid depth to me.

As long as we come away from the draft with a day 1 starter OG we should be good IMO.

Overall this offense is one good rookie OG away from being a competitive unit as long as Jimmy can stay healthy.

The Defense is another story tho. That will still be a below average unit, but a strong draft class could help a lot here as well.

At EDGE we have Maxx, a true star player and Jones, who should be alright as a situational player. We need another player who could rotate with Jones and be effective and depth. Jordan Willis could be the rotational piece or he could be a really good depth guy. Koonce could be ok depth. If we can get a good rookie, who fits the scheme and can help in year 1 that group could be alright.

At IDL we have bigger issues.
At NT we have Farrell and Jenkins, which is not a bad pair if Farrell can take the next step. After last years draft most of us liked his pick up and many of us envisioned him being NT1 by 2023 September. That is still in play and could be a solid option. His rookie year was quiet, but generally speaking DTs usually have quiet rookie campaings, especially true with a complex D, like ours. 
At UT we have bodies and some potential. Most probably we will add more potential via draft and then they will try to use a heavy rotation which is PGs preferred way anyway.
Most probably our IDL group will still be below average, but the depth of this unit could help out PG.

At LB we are pretty empty and we are taking a pretty big risk IMO. 
Spillane comes in and try to replace Perryman as the MLB, the thumper. Somewhat of a risky move, but could be a solid one with a little luck.
Diablo seems to be the favorite for the other LB spot and while he is young, will return for a 2nd year in the system, still this could be an issue.
We will rarely use 3LBs, but we definately need a rookie to come in and be able to give Diablo a run for his money as the cover LB.
If we can get a steady rookie, then we should have alright depth with Masterson, Bolton, Butler and some rookies in TC.
We need to hit that LB draft pick, but with so many picks we can move up in the 2nd or in the 3rd if we want to, so it is not mission impossible.

At CB we seem to have a good bunch, which needs a true #1. Could we draft one early? Yeah I can see that move. Could we sign back a guy like Rock Ya-Sin? Yeah I can see that too. Could we sign him back and still draft an outside guy relatively early? Why not? Yeah we can do that...

At S we seems to be set with Moehrig and Epps as the starters and then we have a deep group behind them too. Pola-Mao, Johnson, Teamer and Elliott is not a bad group before the draft IMO. I know some are sceptical with Epps, but I think he will be a steady starter for us. I have my questionmarks with Moehrig, however he is a talented guy, a consensus early draft pick, who already showed flashes in the NFL, who probably just needs a little more time in the scheme to look comfortable. Another offseason in it, should help. I think the fact that they only brought in Epps, who has clearly a different skill set, shows that the staff likes Moehrig as a starter. Could we still draft another S to increase the battle at camp? Yeah we can do that. We can also bring back Duron Harmon if Epps or Moehrig looks lost during OTAs and/or during the draft we can't get a quality S. 

I know it is pretty easy to **** on anything that the FO does, but I think we should just take a chill pill and be patient. We can get mad after the draft when we still have glaring holes :).

With a strong draft this could be the deepest and more balanced team we had in quite a while. 
Last year DZ&Co hit on Parham and Munford on the OL. The trio of White, Farrell and Butler is still unknown, but could be solid pieces. The Brown pick seems to be the only wasted pick so far and even he has still a chance to prove me wrong here, since he never got a chance last year.

I'm much more optimistic about this upcoming draft then I was before any Grudock or McKenzie draft. I sure could be wrong here and DZ can easily f×ck up this whole draft, but something tells me that he will nail it and we will have a competitive and young team come September.

Then still JMD would have to show he can coach, still PG would have to show that he can coach, still Jimmy would need to stay healthy, etc., but the situation right now is not that bad IMO and this constant negativity around here is somewhat surprising. I think this place was more positive during those brutal, unlogical and harmfull Gruden year. Just because he was a cool Raiders coach before? Because he was Chucky? I don't get it...

Good post only issue I have is that you are looking to come out of the draft with a starting guard, DE, LB, CB, is that really realistic ? 

It’s interesting that Ziegler called Facyson a starter in Vics latest article, maybe a sign that re-signing RYS is no longer an option.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

It’s crazy how you’re willing to move the goalposts to support the new regime. 

It’s just fans manufacturering hope.  All teams fans do it, we just tend to have our plans fail nearly every time so it looks way worse.

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

That’s the trend In the NFL: 3 safety look. It’s a copycat league. I’m interested if Gabers, Webb, Malo, Masterson, Butler can develop. I think they are decennt depth. Making a jump would be amazing for the team. 

If we were going with 3 S / 2 LB sets with Malo then I think signing a S like Gardner-Johnson over Epps would have been a significantly better idea.

7 hours ago, Dessie said:

Good post only issue I have is that you are looking to come out of the draft with a starting guard, DE, LB, CB, is that really realistic ? 

It’s interesting that Ziegler called Facyson a starter in Vics latest article, maybe a sign that re-signing RYS is no longer an option.

Yes!

7. Christian  Gonzalez - plug and play

38. Drew Sanders - plug and play

70. Isaiah Foskey - rotate with Jones

100. Emil Ekiyor jr. - plug and play

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dessie said:

I think we need starting OG for sure.

Starting LB and CB could be in play for us, but with another outside CB signing like Rock, we might not need a starter there. At LB while we need a starter on paper, ideally we just need a rotational piece, since 4-2-5 will be base. If Diablo and Spillane looks good in OTAs, the pressure is not that big...

Everything depends on whether we pick up a QB early or not. If not then starting CB, OG and LB in round 1-3 is not that big of a strech IMO. There will be growing pains with so many new faces on D anyway...if the rookie has the talent and the mental capacity, let them swim :)

I missed that Facyson was refered as starter...that could be an issue or that could mean that he is a starter now, but when Rock and Gonzo arrives he will be back up :)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rolni said:

I think we need starting OG for sure.

Starting LB and CB could be in play for us, but with another outside CB signing like Rock, we might not need a starter there. At LB while we need a starter on paper, ideally we just need a rotational piece, since 4-2-5 will be base. If Diablo and Spillane looks good in OTAs, the pressure is not that big...

Everything depends on whether we pick up a QB early or not. If not then starting CB, OG and LB in round 1-3 is not that big of a strech IMO. There will be growing pains with so many new faces on D anyway...if the rookie has the talent and the mental capacity, let them swim :)

I missed that Facyson was refered as starter...that could be an issue or that could mean that he is a starter now, but when Rock and Gonzo arrives he will be back up :)

Id agree about LB, I don’t think we need a rookie starter there. If anything we probably need another vet as Masterson did show some talent, Deablo is only in his 3rd year and Spillane has never been a full time starter. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Yes!

7. Christian  Gonzalez - plug and play

38. Drew Sanders - plug and play

70. Isaiah Foskey - rotate with Jones

100. Emil Ekiyor jr. - plug and play

Swap Ojulari in for Sanders and LaPorta for Foskey and that’s my mock, I like Ekiyor especially in that spot. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dessie said:

Swap Ojulari in for Sanders and LaPorta for Foskey and that’s my mock, I like Ekiyor especially in that spot. 

Funny because if we drop down add a 2nd and 3rd, then I have us taking Deonte Banks instead of Gonzalez but the extra 2nd and 3rd Ojulari and LaPorta.  That's why I think trading down is key you can get two extra good players.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I been thinking the same thing. People act like switching sides is easy, but it can be a challenge. I say just start Parham at RG

One thing I don’t like about this regime is they like guys who can play multiple spots. That’s cool but you end up with Jack of all trades master of none types. Or like parham you aren’t getting full potential results from a player 

• Like 2