2023 Free Agency

Dessie

Dave Ziegler gave us a mixed bag in free agency last year:

Good:

• Mack Hollins - Outplayed his contract and was pretty reliable after being thrust into a bigger role.

• Jakob Johnson - I thought he played well, Jacobs crazy season proves it. 

• Duron Harmon - Made some plays for us and was our only DB with any consistent ball skills.

Bad:

• Anthony Averrett - Barely played and was bad when he was on the field.

• Bilal Nichols - Way overpaid and didnt really have any imapct.

• Chandler Jones - Way overpaid and looks to be on the decline, bad contract. 

On 2/7/2023 at 3:39 PM, NYRaider said:

Dave Ziegler gave us a mixed bag in free agency last year:

Good:

• Mack Hollins - Outplayed his contract and was pretty reliable after being thrust into a bigger role.

• Jakob Johnson - I thought he played well, Jacobs crazy season proves it. 

• Duron Harmon - Made some plays for us and was our only DB with any consistent ball skills.

Bad:

• Anthony Averrett - Barely played and was bad when he was on the field.

• Bilal Nichols - Way overpaid and didnt really have any imapct.

• Chandler Jones - Way overpaid and looks to be on the decline, bad contract. 

Good: Bringing back Eluemunor for cheap saved us, Billings was a good cheap pickup, 

Bad: Investing in RB and not believing in Jacobs (could have drafted Pacheco late as a back) guys like Abdullah/Bolden were jags…. 

*Jayon Brown and Micah Kiser could have been solid but were hurt. I wouldn’t mind bringing them back for cheap. 

3 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Good: Bringing back Eluemunor for cheap saved us, Billings was a good cheap pickup, 

Bad: Investing in RB and not believing in Jacobs (could have drafted Pacheco late as a back) guys like Abdullah/Bolden were jags…. 

*Jayon Brown and Micah Kiser could have been solid but were hurt. I wouldn’t mind bringing them back for cheap. 

Not trying to defend Z because I am not impressed by him but who in here was made about the Jacobs 5th year option when it happened?  I think almost everyone liked Jacobs but it was almost unanimous that he did not deserve the 5th year pay.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Not trying to defend Z because I am not impressed by him but who in here was made about the Jacobs 5th year option when it happened?  I think almost everyone liked Jacobs but it was almost unanimous that he did not deserve the 5th year pay.

I remember saying it was stupid. Most people thought they should have picked the option up. Z could still be good, he’s a solid prospect. I remember liking him in  on day2. Brittian Brown seemed like a bit of overkill. We signed vet RBs too. We were hell bent on revamping the RB room. Drake wasn’t even that bad, solid RB2 lol. Wish we were hell bent on improving the OL and DL. Alex Barr was also on the bad. Sure he was a starter on the Bears, but the Bears OL was trash in 2021. Barr started way too many games for us in 2022

Edited by Humble_Beast

23 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Lewan fits the classic Raider mold but he’s been very injury prone and, judging from this statement, may not be 100% committed to football. 

I’d normally LOVE to sign Lewan but based on his Injuries, I wouldn’t call it a lack of commitment but rather he has a life outside of football (and kudos to him for creating that), and has said he doesn’t want to come back unless he can be close to what he was prior to the injuries I’d probably go a different route.

On 2/7/2023 at 11:07 PM, NYRaider said:

Under the assumptions that we land Rodgers I'd bring back Elu, target two OG, and a fast WR in free agency.

We definitely need a fast, deep threat WR.  I’d like Hollins back and he can be a deep threat but we need that “4.3 take the top off the defense” guy.

6 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I remember saying it was stupid. Most people thought they should have picked the option up. Z could still be good, he’s a solid prospect. I remember liking him in  on day2. Brittian Brown seemed like a bit of overkill. We signed vet RBs too. We were hell bent on revamping the RB room. Drake wasn’t even that bad, solid RB2 lol. Wish we were hell bent on improving the OL and DL. Alex Barr was also on the bad. Sure he was a starter on the Bears, but the Bears OL was trash in 2021. Barr started way too many games for us in 2022

When I said Z I meant Zeigler.  I do not remember people wanting it but I could be mistaken. I will except your word that you wanted to keep him.  I did not want to spend the money on him.  What he had done up to that point was easily replaceable with a day 2 pick.  What he did this year was not expected by me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

We definitely need a fast, deep threat WR.  I’d like Hollins back and he can be a deep threat but we need that “4.3 take the top off the defense” guy.

I think we should sign OL, DL in free agency. Draft an edge in the 1st could open the door to draft a WR in the 2nd 

Quinton Johnston, Zay Flowers, Kayshon Boutte, Jalin Hyatt, Josh Downs all could be very interesting in Round 2. 

we could draft a young burner to stretch the field on year 1. Would allow us to move in from Renfrow or Waller next offseason. We have alot of money tied up in playmakers