2023 Free Agency

Dessie

24 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We do need a legitimate #2 WR outside and to add some speed to our passing game. But a first round WR is definitely a little rich considering the current state of the roster, I'd be okay with taking him at #38 if he somehow fell that far.

Here's to hoping we can swing a trade down and accumulate some day 2 ammo. 

To be honest, trading back into the teens and grabbing a Bryan Breese or Joey Porter Jr type wouldn't bug me at all. I'm 100% sold on the idea we can find pass rush value later, I'm warming up to the idea of shooting for Hooker if we go QB, and we could legitimately bolster our roster with some added picks and probably wind up pretty happy overall. 

The idea of pushing for a QB at 7 and letting it dictate our draft, with this QB class, just doesn't seem wise. It's a deeeeep draft at a lot of areas we could stand to improve. We're not a QB away, McDaniels clearly isn't on Davis' hot seat yet, and we could still make a push for a vet QB for now to hold down the fort. I really really really don't want to pass up an opportunity to actually address as much of the roster as possible this year, and do what the Lions have been doing- actually building up a roster for a QBOTF instead of just gambling on a complete savior. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

To be honest, trading back into the teens and grabbing a Bryan Breese or Joey Porter Jr type wouldn't bug me at all. I'm 100% sold on the idea we can find pass rush value later, I'm warming up to the idea of shooting for Hooker if we go QB, and we could legitimately bolster our roster with some added picks and probably wind up pretty happy overall. 

The idea of pushing for a QB at 7 and letting it dictate our draft, with this QB class, just doesn't seem wise. It's a deeeeep draft at a lot of areas we could stand to improve. We're not a QB away, McDaniels clearly isn't on Davis' hot seat yet, and we could still make a push for a vet QB for now to hold down the fort. I really really really don't want to pass up an opportunity to actually address as much of the roster as possible this year, and do what the Lions have been doing- actually building up a roster for a QBOTF instead of just gambling on a complete savior. 

At 7 I'd be happy with CJ Stroud, Tyree Wilson, or a trade down. I'm starting to be okay with either Levis or Richardson because at least I can see the upside.

The Lions were also fortunate to receive Goff in the Stafford trade, he's like the perfect bridge guy and has produced at a top 10 level for top 5 offenses multiple times in his career. If we can find a veteran QB that can throw for 4,500 yards / 30 TD to hold us over I'd wait on QB indefinitely.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

At 7 I'd be happy with CJ Stroud, Tyree Wilson, or a trade down. I'm starting to be okay with either Levis or Richardson because at least I can see the upside.

The Lions were also fortunate to receive Goff in the Stafford trade, he's like the perfect bridge guy and has produced at a top 10 level for top 5 offenses multiple times in his career. If we can find a veteran QB that can throw for 4,500 yards / 30 TD to hold us over I'd wait on QB indefinitely.

That's an issue I have with this entire QB class- for me, basically all of them feel like we'd be settling somehow, especially when looking at who is likely to ride/rebound in the 2024 class. 

I definitely understand you can't just keep kicking the can down the road, just sucks we're in this spot RIGHT NOW and there's really nothing looming in FA to justify waiting. Hence, my preference towards the higher floor, lower probable ceiling in Hooker. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

That's an issue I have with this entire QB class- for me, basically all of them feel like we'd be settling somehow, especially when looking at who is likely to ride/rebound in the 2024 class. 

I definitely understand you can't just keep kicking the can down the road, just sucks we're in this spot RIGHT NOW and there's really nothing looming in FA to justify waiting. Hence, my preference towards the higher floor, lower probable ceiling in Hooker. 

Minus having Stroud fall in our lap I am 100% with you right here. It feels like we are at last call and just trying to find someone to go home with at this point. I’d rather take the value and just roll with a clipboard holder than take someone just to take someone. If the front office believes in them truly fine, but if not there are better ways to play this rather than just taking someone in the first to take someone. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I like Stroud but I don't think we'll pay the price to move up and land him. I'd be thrilled with Wilson or a trade back. But I'm bracing myself for Levis or Richardson to be the pick at #7.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Gonzalez has to be in the mix. I hate drafting DB early, but Gonzalez has young Jalen Ramsey vibes.

could come back and draft a DL or LB - Jack Campbell/Drew Sanders. Could find a TE, Gx2. - the rest of the draft. That would be huge

I can definitely see this as an option for them. 

4 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

I can definitely see this as an option for them. 

I hope we sign a couple young game changers for big money in free agency and a few minimum free agents. I prefer a 3-4 10m deals then spread out to like 8-9 guys with around 5-6m. You need high impact guys to win instead of just filling out the depth chart with solid guys. 

On 3/2/2023 at 8:05 PM, ronjon1990 said:

Exactly after the combine it looks like Levis could be there at #7 and I would call WAS or TB to see if they would trade up for him and get at least their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd according to trade value chart.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 8:40 PM, NYRaider said:

The Stache

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Gonzalez has to be in the mix. I hate drafting DB early, but Gonzalez has young Jalen Ramsey vibes.

could come back and draft a DL or LB - Jack Campbell/Drew Sanders. Could find a TE, Gx2. - the rest of the draft. That would be huge

CB is and always has been a huge need. But I can't fathom rolling into next season without a true QBOTF. Everything else would feel like such a waste.

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

CB is and always has been a huge need. But I can't fathom rolling into next season without a true QBOTF. Everything else would feel like such a waste.

Counterpoint- would drafting a QBOTF and giving them yet another bad team overall to have to try and drag kicking and screaming to any sort of success not be a waste as well? Sure, it'd be nice to not have to wonder who the QB is gonna be moving forward, but not if we're just setting someone up to fail because of high expectations and absolute craters across the board in regard to position we could really stand to improve. 

A QBOTF would be asked to do way too much heavy lifting with our D to not be put in bad spots. A couple of bad years because he's constantly pressing and trying to play comeback hero, we're talking about moving on and finding someone else yet again. 

There's no wrong answer, imo. We gotta have a quarterback AND we gotta give them a team to work with to succeed. Chicken vs egg issue we're in. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Counterpoint- would drafting a QBOTF and giving them yet another bad team overall to have to try and drag kicking and screaming to any sort of success not be a waste as well? Sure, it'd be nice to not have to wonder who the QB is gonna be moving forward, but not if we're just setting someone up to fail because of high expectations and absolute craters across the board in regard to position we could really stand to improve. 

A QBOTF would be asked to do way too much heavy lifting with our D to not be put in bad spots. A couple of bad years because he's constantly pressing and trying to play comeback hero, we're talking about moving on and finding someone else yet again. 

There's no wrong answer, imo. We gotta have a quarterback AND we gotta give them a team to work with to succeed. Chicken vs egg issue we're in. 

A young QB being able to step into an offense with Jacobs/Adams/Renfrow/Waller is probably one of the best situations ever.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 8:40 PM, NYRaider said:

When you consider we have never had a QB that produced that much in team history I would be fine holding off also as long as it was not a QB just getting garbage time stats.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

When you consider we have never had a QB that produced that much in team history I would be fine holding off also as long as it was not a QB just getting garbage time stats.

My point was the Lions were able to wait on going QB early because they have a veteran that can produce at a borderline elite level, if we had that in place I'd be fine with waiting on QB too but unfortunately we don't.