2023 Free Agency

Dessie

8 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I think we can upgrade Stidham, Elu, Hollins,  Harmon for cheaper and better guys.

I disagree,  I think we can certainly get better guys, but not at their pricing as I think they'll be fairly cheap as low end starters or simply as better depth.  

Would I like to improve all of those positions, abso-freakin-lutely.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Was a huge Edmunds fan when he was coming out too. There's so nice young players out there this year.

I agree, kinda nice to have some funds to go get some young guys that could end up being core players. 

18 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

I disagree,  I think we can certainly get better guys, but not at their pricing as I think they'll be fairly cheap as low end starters or simply as better depth.  

Would I like to improve all of those positions, abso-freakin-lutely.

well I disagree with you too! Hollins could easily get paid. Harmon and Elu too, players are like stocks. A player can have a good season and his stock soars and they cash out. There could be more talented players who were hurt or in a bad system, just ready to shine on a different team. It's about finding those diamonds in the rough 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

well I disagree with you too! Hollins could easily get paid. Harmon and Elu too, players are like stocks. A player can have a good season and his stock soars and they cash out. There could be more talented players who were hurt or in a bad system, just ready to shine on a different team. It's about finding those diamonds in the rough 

Who are the players that would be better and cheaper ? 

I don't look for the Raiders to be big players in FA. The emphasis seems to be on homegrown talent and laying a foundation for the future. 

I can see them having a few key additions to the defense which is largely lacking talent, but don't expect any massive deals on the top guys. 

And I expect a certain type when signed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I don't look for the Raiders to be big players in FA. The emphasis seems to be on homegrown talent and laying a foundation for the future. 

I can see them having a few key additions to the defense which is largely lacking talent, but don't expect any massive deals on the top guys. 

It will be pretty funny if we do in fact take a conservative, modest approach to this off season given the absolute massive swings we took last year trading a 1st + 2nd for a WR and giving Chandler Jones an insane contract.

Long term I hope build via the draft naturally but our current roster is so flawed in the sense we have holes at every single level, yet have such high-end talent at spots in Adams, Jacobs, Crosby, the best ST unit, etc. We almost need to "win now" with Adams and co. but it would be impossible to field a complete roster in one off season.

I hope Ziegler and McD have their heads on right as this is a franchise altering offseason. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

It will be pretty funny if we do in fact take a conservative, modest approach to this off season given the absolute massive swings we took last year trading a 1st + 2nd for a WR and giving Chandler Jones an insane contract.

Long term I hope build via the draft naturally but our current roster is so flawed in the sense we have holes at every single level, yet have such high-end talent at spots in Adams, Jacobs, Crosby, the best ST unit, etc. We almost need to "win now" with Adams and co. but it would be impossible to field a complete roster in one off season.

I hope Ziegler and McD have their heads on right as this is a franchise altering offseason. 

I think this pretty much sums up the current state of our franchise. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I think we'll do a lot of mid-tier signings. Like good players but not stars. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think we'll do a lot of mid-tier signings. Like good players but not stars. 

i always liked Reggies way of handling FA, fill needs with starter types. His problem was he couldnt draft. 

Fill holes in FA with established vets that fit the system/culture, draft BPA. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

How is it a "franchise altering offseason"? Feels more of the same, expect they finally got rid of the mid QB.  

They have to draft well... simple as that. That is what's been the problem with this organization for 20 years. 

Honestly.... I might just YOLO and get Lamar. He makes them instantly better. Contract aside, 7 this year and next year you're picking in the 20's is cheap for a 26 year old with his skill set. He's a natural leader, wants to be great, pushes teammates and guys love him.

Lamar, get a couple pieces on defense and go full send.... don't be scared.  

23 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

How is it a "franchise altering offseason"? Feels more of the same, expect they finally got rid of the mid QB.  

They have to draft well... simple as that. That is what's been the problem with this organization for 20 years. 

Honestly.... I might just YOLO and get Lamar. He makes them instantly better. Contract aside, 7 this year and next year you're picking in the 20's is cheap for a 26 year old with his skill set. He's a natural leader, wants to be great, pushes teammates and guys love him.

Lamar, get a couple pieces on defense and go full send.... don't be scared.  

What you just described is franchise altering.

• Like 1