2023 Free Agency

Dessie

11 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Jimmy makes a ton of plays with pressure in his face. That's a playmaker.

I disagree. He made a living with the 49ers throwing crossing routes and screens to Deebo Samuel or Kittle. And occasionally hits Ayuik or Kittle over the middle. Has also had a elite defense, offensive line, and elite rushing attack every year despite him not being a running QB. I think Jimmy G can do pretty well in a run first offense and executing play designs that work. But he's not going to make any plays out of nothing. Any QB could be somewhat successful with the 49ers because they are a franchise that knows what they're doing. They could have plugged any QB in last year and made a super bowl run.

Back to playmaking... making a quick accurate throw when facing a blitz under pressure isn't playmaking if the play is there (WR is wide open because of the extra defender blitzing) and requires timing & execution, not playmaking. 

I will not discredit Jimmy's heart and willing to stand in there to take hits. But at the same time we need our starting QB to stay healthy or it's another top 10 draft pick next year. I think our hope for the playoffs is if we can repeat what we did this past season, but eliminate Carr's timely 2nd half turnovers and getting away from the running game if it's working that killed our late season chances, we have a shot at the playoffs. Jimmy G does not have a lot of experience playing from behind. Hopefully the Raiders can build early leads like they did often last year and Jimmy can hold them like he did for the 49ers....although most of that credit can probably go to their defense. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RaisinBran said:

I disagree. He made a living with the 49ers throwing crossing routes and screens to Deebo Samuel or Kittle. And occasionally hits Ayuik or Kittle over the middle. Has also had a elite defense, offensive line, and elite rushing attack every year despite him not being a running QB. I think Jimmy G can do pretty well in a run first offense and executing play designs that work. But he's not going to make any plays out of nothing. Any QB could be somewhat successful with the 49ers because they are a franchise that knows what they're doing. They could have plugged any QB in last year and made a super bowl run.

Back to playmaking... making a quick accurate throw when facing a blitz under pressure isn't playmaking if the play is there (WR is wide open because of the extra defender blitzing) and requires timing & execution, not playmaking. 

I will not discredit Jimmy's heart and willing to stand in there to take hits. But at the same time we need our starting QB to stay healthy or it's another top 10 draft pick next year. I think our hope for the playoffs is if we can repeat what we did this past season, but eliminate Carr's timely 2nd half turnovers and getting away from the running game if it's working that killed our late season chances, we have a shot at the playoffs. Jimmy G does not have a lot of experience playing from behind. Hopefully the Raiders can build early leads like they did often last year and Jimmy can hold them like he did for the 49ers....although most of that credit can probably go to their defense. 

Agreed. My wife and wife's fam are season ticket niners fans, I've watched almost every game. Jimmy G is just not that great. He is the textbook definition of "the team won in spite of him" 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The top FAs on D are Bradberry, Poyer, CGJ, David and maybe Clowney. 

All of them are 30+ years old next year with no pass rush. And Clowney doesn't rush the passer anymore.

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1