2023 Free Agency

Dessie

On 1/19/2023 at 5:03 AM, Chali21 said:

I’d be fine with this. It’s also clear Mack has lost a step. It’d be a great story but I’m not sure he’d be worth the price he’d command. 

Mack is still a force.  A playmaker for sure.  Not worth 20+ M per season but pretty close to that.

On 1/20/2023 at 1:04 PM, Jerry said:

Mack is still a force.  A playmaker for sure.  Not worth 20+ M per season but pretty close to that.

Injuries have killed him, I don't think he should be an every down player anymore. When he's fresh he great but that doesn't last to long maybe 3 games. A team should think about saving him until the playoffs. Think of Von Miller. 

• Like 1

•Trade Carr for 2023 2nd and 3rd round picks. If we got anything better, all the merrier. If we got a little less, so be it. 

•Sign Brady, DaRon Payne, James Bradberry

•Resign Jacobs, Perryman, Harmon, Billings

•Agree to post June 1 trade for Jalen Ramsey for 2024 2nd and 4th round picks. Rams save $17m in cap space opposed to way less pre June 1. 

•Move Hobbs back to the slot, Ramsey and Bradberry on the outside. 

If these were the only moves of significance and your mix of vet minimum low needle signings, plus the plethora of picks, we can round out our roster depth and find more than a few starters at areas of need in the draft.. As some have mentioned, if we bomb in 2023 then Josh is probably canned, we tank for Caleb!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JarrodR86 said:

•Trade Carr for 2023 2nd and 3rd round picks. If we got anything better, all the merrier. If we got a little less, so be it. 

•Sign Brady, DaRon Payne, James Bradberry

•Resign Jacobs, Perryman, Harmon, Billings

•Agree to post June 1 trade for Jalen Ramsey for 2024 2nd and 4th round picks. Rams save $17m in cap space opposed to way less pre June 1. 

•Move Hobbs back to the slot, Ramsey and Bradberry on the outside. 

If these were the only moves of significance and your mix of vet minimum low needle signings, plus the plethora of picks, we can round out our roster depth and find more than a few starters at areas of need in the draft.. As some have mentioned, if we bomb in 2023 then Josh is probably canned, we tank for Caleb!

I'm going to keep saying this, I don't think Carr signs off on a trade where his prospective team is giving up draft capital.  No reason to do anything nice for the Raiders after they benched him with two weeks left in the season.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jerry said:

I'm going to keep saying this, I don't think Carr signs off on a trade where his prospective team is giving up draft capital.  No reason to do anything nice for the Raiders after they benched him with two weeks left in the season.

I disagree. Carr being traded for premium draft capital would be a positive for his image and show that he's actually valued around the league. And it's not even about doing something nice for the team, it's about securing that $40M in GTD money and keeping his current contract intact. He's currently set to be the 7th highest paid QB in the league over the next three seasons. And he won't get nearly as much on the open market, especially with other guys like Tom Brady/Jimmy G also being free agents. 

Carr has already started to do homework on potential landing spots, if he was looking to screw the team he would've already said that he's not signing off on a deal anywhere and to just cut him. 

My wishlist: 

Resign: Josh Jacobs, Jakob Johnson, Andrew Billings, Duron Harmon, Jermaine Elumeunor, Rock Ya-Sin, Jerry Tillery, Denzel Perryman, Jarrett Stidham 

Free agents

Offense: Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, Nelson Agholor, Nate Davis, Isaac Seumalo 

Defense: Da'Ron Payne, Julian Love, Dru Tranquill, Sean Murphy-Bunting 

Draft:

7. Tyree Wilson | DL | Texas Tech

38. Noah Sewell | LB | Oregon

70. Darnell Taylor | RT | Tennessee

108. Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson | CB | TCU 

141. Joe Tippmann | OL | Wisconsin 

144. Davis Allen | TE | Clemson

173. Charlie Jones | WR | Iowa

203. Mohamoud Diabate | LB | Utah

213. Max Duggan | QB | TCU

221. DJ Dale | DL | Alabama

232. Isaiah Land | Edge | Florida A&M

16 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I disagree. Carr being traded for premium draft capital would be a positive for his image and show that he's actually valued around the league. And it's not even about doing something nice for the team, it's about securing that $40M in GTD money and keeping his current contract intact. He's currently set to be the 7th highest paid QB in the league over the next three seasons. And he won't get nearly as much on the open market, especially with other guys like Tom Brady/Jimmy G also being free agents. 

Carr has already started to do homework on potential landing spots, if he was looking to screw the team he would've already said that he's not signing off on a deal anywhere and to just cut him. 

We'll see.  Same way Josh Jacobs said it has to make sense; Derek Carr could say the same.  Why gut his prospective team of picks/players when he could just sign with them as a FA?  Doesn't make sense to me at all.  Especially if he ends up getting a respectable contract anyway.  Maybe he doesn't get 40M per season but he may still end up with 30-35M.  We don't know what his value is to other teams.  

Derek Carr doesn't have to say anything.  He can easily just block any trades, become a FA, and sign with a team of his choice without the team having to give up anything to get him.  Why help the Raiders after what they did to him?  Why hurt his prospective team?  Doesn't make sense to me at all.  

I would love for us to trade him for 30 picks and 12 players but if I were a player on the Vikings who was just shafted by my team of 9 years and I had a no trade clause, I would block all trades and sign for a division rival on a cheap deal.  But that's just me being who I am.  I'm petty, and I'd be looking to get back at them with the hopes that I start racking up winning seasons.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jerry said:

We'll see.  Same way Josh Jacobs said it has to make sense; Derek Carr could say the same.  Why gut his prospective team of picks/players when he could just sign with them as a FA?  Doesn't make sense to me at all.  Especially if he ends up getting a respectable contract anyway.  Maybe he doesn't get 40M per season but he may still end up with 30-35M.  We don't know what his value is to other teams.  

Derek Carr doesn't have to say anything.  He can easily just block any trades, become a FA, and sign with a team of his choice without the team having to give up anything to get him.  Why help the Raiders after what they did to him?  Why hurt his prospective team?  Doesn't make sense to me at all.  

I would love for us to trade him for 30 picks and 12 players but if I were a player on the Vikings who was just shafted by my team of 9 years and I had a no trade clause, I would block all trades and sign for a division rival on a cheap deal.  But that's just me being who I am.  I'm petty, and I'd be looking to get back at them with the hopes that I start racking up winning seasons.

I don't think a Carr trade would "gut" the other team of players or picks, he's likely only going to fetch a pick this year and a conditional pick next year. Why would Carr willingly sacrifice $40M in GTD money or his current deal which is the 7th biggest contract in the league in hopes of getting a similar deal in free agency? A deal that would be by far the biggest contract in NFL free agent history. I just can't see him getting anything close to his current deal when you look at the cap situations of teams across the league and consider the fact that TB12/Jimmy G will be free agents and Rodgers will likely also be on the move. 

Again, it's in Carr's best interest to help the team facilitate a trade to get that $40M GTD and keep his current contract intact. If he plays well next season he'll be in line to earn $40M+ over each of the next two seasons. 

What exactly did the Raiders do to him that was so bad? They gave him a huge contract that was essentially a prove it deal, he didn't perform up to expectations and they decided to sit him down once the postseason was out of reach. Would it have been smarter to play him in meaningless games, risk injury, and potential be committed to paying him $40M instead? The team did him a favor by giving him a no trade clause, the only other players in the league that have one are Watson, Allen, Dak, and Russ. The new regime didn't even have to extend him, they could've just asked him to play out the final year of his deal. But they gave him some security with an additional $40M in GTD money and the ability to ensure he had control over his next team if things didn't work out.

Edited by NYRaider

55 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think a Carr trade would "gut" the other team of players or picks, he's likely only going to fetch a pick this year and a conditional pick next year. Why would Carr willingly sacrifice $40M in GTD money or his current deal which is the 7th biggest contract in the league in hopes of getting a similar deal in free agency? A deal that would be by far the biggest contract in NFL free agent history. I just can't see him getting anything close to his current deal when you look at the cap situations of teams across the league and consider the fact that TB12/Jimmy G will be free agents and Rodgers will likely also be on the move. 

Again, it's in Carr's best interest to help the team facilitate a trade to get that $40M GTD and keep his current contract intact. If he plays well next season he'll be in line to earn $40M+ over each of the next two seasons. 

What exactly did the Raiders do to him that was so bad? They gave him a huge contract that was essentially a prove it deal, he didn't perform up to expectations and they decided to sit him down once the postseason was out of reach. Would it have been smarter to play him in meaningless games, risk injury, and potential be committed to paying him $40M instead? The team did him a favor by giving him a no trade clause, the only other players in the league that have one are Watson, Allen, Dak, and Russ. The new regime didn't even have to extend him, they could've just asked him to play out the final year of his deal. But they gave him some security with an additional $40M in GTD money and the ability to ensure he had control over his next team if things didn't work out.

They sat him, pretty sure he didn't want to sit the last two games.  They're now trading him after giving him his contract, pretty sure he didn't want that either.  They did do him a favor by adding the no trade clause, but I'm pretty sure he wanted to stay a Raider and get paid by the Raiders.  Pretty sure he didn't want to be benched and then traded to another team.  They didn't have to extend him, but they did, and now they're getting rid of him.  Either way, just because they allowed him the right to choose his next team doesn't mean he has to sign off on it and help out the team that is now getting rid of him.  Again, I wouldn't.  I don't see any reason why he should.  Especially if he does end up commanding 40M per season in FA.  Just because you don't value him at 40M doesn't mean teams across the league won't.  If he finds out his value is the same then he really has no reason to accept a trade in exchange for picks/players.  

Again, if I were DC I wouldn't sign off on any trades.  I would just standby until I was cut and then sign with the team of my choice.  He can either choose the highest bidding team or the team most likely to take him to the SB (SF on a team friendly deal maybe?).  Either way, only one way to find out what happens and that's to watch everything play out.  Hopefully we get some updates on DC soon.

1 minute ago, Jerry said:

They sat him, pretty sure he didn't want to sit the last two games.  They're now trading him after giving him his contract, pretty sure he didn't want that either.  They did do him a favor by adding the no trade clause, but I'm pretty sure he wanted to stay a Raider and get paid by the Raiders.  Pretty sure he didn't want to be benched and then traded to another team.  They didn't have to extend him, but they did, and now they're getting rid of him.  Either way, just because they allowed him the right to choose his next team doesn't mean he has to sign off on it and help out the team that is now getting rid of him.  Again, I wouldn't.  I don't see any reason why he should.  Especially if he does end up commanding 40M per season in FA.  Just because you don't value him at 40M doesn't mean teams across the league won't.  If he finds out his value is the same then he really has no reason to accept a trade in exchange for picks/players.  

Again, if I were DC I wouldn't sign off on any trades.  I would just standby until I was cut and then sign with the team of my choice.  He can either choose the highest bidding team or the team most likely to take him to the SB (SF on a team friendly deal maybe?).  Either way, only one way to find out what happens and that's to watch everything play out.  Hopefully we get some updates on DC soon.

His poor play was one of the main reasons we were eliminated from playoff contention. If we played DC the last two games how could that have benefited the team in the short term or the long term? The games meant nothing and if he would've gotten hurt it would've killed all of our roster flexibility. I'm sure he did want to be here long term but he didn't play well enough for the new regime to move forward with him. Carr didn't have to sign the extension, he knew it was essentially a prove it deal, and he took a gamble on himself. 

The reason that he should help facilitate a trade is because he still has control of where he ends up, gets $40M in GTD money, and sets himself up to make $121M over the next three seasons. The largest FA deal in NFL history was $28M APY, do you really think that he's going to shatter that and reset the market coming off of the season that he just had? Are teams really going to pay him that much when Tom Brady, Jimmy G, and Aaron Rodgers are all going to be available for the same price or cheaper? I doubt it personally. And how is he supposed to find out his value around the league before the new league year begins? A lot of things will change and teams aren't allowed to be in contact with players or their agents. 

It'd be extremely petty on his behalf to let his emotions dictate his decision to walk away from a 3 yr/$121M deal. 

But yeah I'm still just confused how the new regime did him dirty tbh. They gave him a raise, long term financial security, and the freedom to choose his next landing spot. NTC's are extremely rare in the NFL and he's one of 5 guys in the league to get one.

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

His poor play was one of the main reasons we were eliminated from playoff contention. If we played DC the last two games how could that have benefited the team in the short term or the long term? The games meant nothing and if he would've gotten hurt it would've killed all of our roster flexibility. I'm sure he did want to be here long term but he didn't play well enough for the new regime to move forward with him. Carr didn't have to sign the extension, he knew it was essentially a prove it deal, and he took a gamble on himself. 

The reason that he should help facilitate a trade is because he still has control of where he ends up, gets $40M in GTD money, and sets himself up to make $121M over the next three seasons. The largest FA deal in NFL history was $28M APY, do you really think that he's going to shatter that and reset the market coming off of the season that he just had? Are teams really going to pay him that much when Tom Brady, Jimmy G, and Aaron Rodgers are all going to be available for the same price or cheaper? I doubt it personally. And how is he supposed to find out his value around the league before the new league year begins? A lot of things will change and teams aren't allowed to be in contact with players or their agents. 

It'd be extremely petty on his behalf to let his emotions dictate his decision to walk away from a 3 yr/$121M deal. 

But yeah I'm still just confused how the new regime did him dirty tbh. They gave him a raise, long term financial security, and the freedom to choose his next landing spot. NTC's are extremely rare in the NFL and he's one of 5 guys in the league to get one.

I wrote something but lost it, so I'm done responding.  If you can't see from my point of view then I no longer have any reason to provide it.

We'll see what happens, whenever it happens.

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

I wrote something but lost it, so I'm done responding.  If you can't see from my point of view then I no longer have any reason to provide it.

We'll see what happens, whenever it happens.

I'm just genuinely curious as to how we did Carr dirty in your opinion?