2023 Free Agency

Dessie

I'm hoping that we can just fill a couple more needs before we go into the draft.

My realistic wishlist: 

Rock Ya-Sin, CB (2 yr/$16M): Doesn't seem to have a huge market, knows the scheme, and was decent for us last year. 

Trai Turner, OG (1 yr/$2.5M): He's familiar with Scott Turner, he has started 118/126 games over his 9 year career, he's only 29, and he has played at a Pro Bowl level in the past. 

Andrew Van Ginkel, LB (1 yr/$2M): He has some juice as a pass rusher, he's young, he played for Graham in the past, and he provides us depth at DE and SLB. 

Austin Hooper, TE (2 yr/$10M): He's in his prime, has been a Pro Bowler in the past, and played pretty well in Tennessee all things considered. 

Duron Harmon, S (1 yr/$3M): He knows the system, was arguably our best safety last year, and gives us much needed depth at the position.

• Like 2

Just made a couple of signings. Mostly role players it seems, Keelan Cole and Cam sims, WR. Although Austin Hooper is coming in for a visit tomorrow.

still have 20 roster spots open per Hondo. With 11+ draft picks we may be using all of them to fill out this roster.

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Defense? Who needs defense when you can score 45+ a game? 

Patrick Graham is gonna be a happily employed man if we keep signing skill position guys!

The additions we've made defensively since Ziegler took over (guys that are still here):

Draft: Neil Farrell Jr, Matthew Butler 

Free Agency: Chandler Jones, Bilal Nichols, Marcus Epps, Brandon Faycon, Robert Spillane 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys they've lost: Denzel Perryman, Casey Hayward, Yannick Ngakoue, Quinton Jefferson, Nick Morrow, Jonathan Hankins, Keisean Nixon, Solomon Thomas, Jonathan Abram, Carl Nassib, Darius Philon, Clelin Ferrell 

Guys we acquired but left: Andrew Billings

Guys we acquired but in FA: Rock Ya-Sin, Duron Harmon, 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

If we sign Hooper offense is virtually set minus a OL or two.

Agreed. We still need a starting OG and probably one versatile depth piece on the interior OL. We could use an upgrade at TE2 as well but it's not really a pressing need that will force our hand to reach.

What's the possibility that we sign Cam Newton to back up Jimmy and goal line/short yardage packages. If we get Anthony Richardson would be a prototype that could mentor him with prior experience in the system while Jimmy is the right now.

1 minute ago, Trojan said:

What's the possibility that we sign Cam Newton to back up Jimmy and goal line/short yardage packages. If we get Anthony Richardson would be a prototype that could mentor him with prior experience in the system while Jimmy is the right now.

I was thinking this too. I would just be worried if we did draft a QB, a lot of practice reps would be going to Jimmy/Cam. Also I don't think he'd be super cheap. Would prefer to address CB over QB3 imo.

• Like 2

Just now, RaidersAreOne said:

I was thinking this too. I would just be worried if we did draft a QB, a lot of practice reps would be going to Jimmy/Cam. Also I don't think he'd be super cheap. Would prefer to address CB over QB3 imo.

If he was down to be a positive role model and mentor I'd be cool punting defensive mid player (like 1y/5-7mil or whatever Cam would cost) a year to catch a rookie up to his potential though.

19 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Does Cam have a good relationship with JMD? Things didn't go great when he played in New England and he didn't even play football at all last season. If you're going to take Richardson it kind of seems like a waste of a roster spot to also have Cam for goal line/shorter yardage packages, you'd use AR15 there. If you're going to draft someone I think Jimmy G is an excellent mentor for a young QB to sit behind. Purdy/Lance have both sung his praises and he also has experience as a potential "heir apparent" after sitting behind Brady for 3 years. He has his limitations but Jimmy understands what it takes to win, understands the game/system, and is well liked by teammates, those are the three things you'd probably want your young QB to learn.

17 minutes ago, Trojan said:

If he was down to be a positive role model and mentor I'd be cool punting defensive mid player (like 1y/5-7mil or whatever Cam would cost) a year to catch a rookie up to his potential though.

You'd have 2 QBs that probably can't really run the passing offense and you'd have to completely switch the scheme to play either one of them in the scenario that Jimmy got hurt.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

As much as I hate to admit it, I may have to agree with @Frankie2Gunz for once, it really just seems like guys aren't interested in playing here for JMD.

Yup! Guys talk. we can say cliché stuff like "every teams money is the color green" ultimately players don't wanna go to a bad situation if the other team is not willing to pay top dollar. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

The additions we've made defensively since Ziegler took over (guys that are still here):

Draft: Neil Farrell Jr, Matthew Butler 

Free Agency: Chandler Jones, Bilal Nichols, Marcus Epps, Brandon Faycon, Robert Spillane 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys they've lost: Denzel Perryman, Casey Hayward, Yannick Ngakoue, Quinton Jefferson, Nick Morrow, Jonathan Hankins, Keisean Nixon, Solomon Thomas, Jonathan Abram, Carl Nassib, Darius Philon, Clelin Ferrell 

Guys we acquired but left: Andrew Billings

Guys we acquired but in FA: Rock Ya-Sin, Duron Harmon, 

I said the first category and everybody made excuses for why it made sense to let each of them go.