Week 18: San Francisco 49ers vs Arizona Cardinals

J-ALL-DAY

The problem with the idea of resting players is you can only activate 48 players each game, & we have some injuries(Jimmy, Givens, Deebo, Banks, Dre), I doubt Mooney is inactive, but like I said earlier, we need to sit players when we have the game in control, pull Purdy, CMC, Juice, Mitchell if active, Deebo if active, Aiyuk, Kittle, Trent, McGlinchey, Bosa, Ebukam, AA, Warner, Dre if active, Al-Shaair, Mooney, Ward, Gipson, Hufanga.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The Giants with the way Jones runs the ball and how good they are in close games would actually be a super annoying game. 

I hope it rains on Sunday because we need to see how Purdy plays in those conditions as the playoffs is likely going to be similar. 

It is absolutely going to rain on Sunday. It's actually the worst day of rain on the forecast outside of Wednesday night/Thursday morning (aka right now)

3 hours ago, 49erscap said:

The problem with the idea of resting players is you can only activate 48 players each game, & we have some injuries(Jimmy, Givens, Deebo, Banks, Dre), I doubt Mooney is inactive, but like I said earlier, we need to sit players when we have the game in control, pull Purdy, CMC, Juice, Mitchell if active, Deebo if active, Aiyuk, Kittle, Trent, McGlinchey, Bosa, Ebukam, AA, Warner, Dre if active, Al-Shaair, Mooney, Ward, Gipson, Hufanga.

This is why I think Mooney should be inactive. Definitely don't want greenlaw, deebo, or CMC active. Mitchell I can understand, if he is healthy he can get a tune up game in but I want him on a pitch count. 

A rainy game is not really an ideal time to bring back a guy coming off his second knee injury of the season. 

• Like 1

This was from a Ravens platform discussing Tyler Huntley. Kind of funny seeing Jimmy and Brock in the same exact spot for the most part. And it does feel that way the more games that go by. Brock being more mobile, and on a rookie deal being the bonuses, while probably not being as great on QB sneaks the drawback. Obviously there is more to it, but this is fine by me. BTW Sam Darnold that high is kind of funny, and demoralizing at the same time. PFF-based, so keep that caveat in mind. 

oi6txbvli3aa1.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&s

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

19 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Shanny deserves a lot of credit for having such a QB friendly offense, but Purdy/Jimmy G deserve credit too. There's a clear difference between them and Hoyer, Bethard & Mullens

Lance still TBD 

I mean yes, but Hoyer did not get to work with THIS type of talent. Mullens could have similar success if only he would have stopped acting like his arm was on the level of Mahomes or Favre. Mullens was actually the one QB that used the entire field and opened up the offense. There is a reason he was averaging damn near 300 passing yards per game while the others have not been close to that mark. Only issue was he would lose all these games with stupid turnovers at the absolute worst time. 

We saw a ceiling with a Jimmy G or Mullens led offenses for different reasons but it is yet to be determined if there is one with Purdy or not. There may be but even so, the team will have a chance to win due to the talent they have on both sides of the ball. 

Since it seems like Mitchell will be activated this week, I wonder how much they lean on him considering they will want to save CMC for the playoffs....BUT, you can't really just give Mitchell a heavy load coming off his injury in the rain. Maybe Mason finally gets 10+ carries?

Next Saturday and Sunday is forecasted to have rain as well so it's good that Purdy gets some experience in these conditions before the playoffs. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

CMC has a sprained ankle? 

Shanny called it mild and said he's day to day. I agree that there is no reason to rush him back, but this doesn't sound like something that'd keep him out if this Sunday was a playoff game. 

• Like 3

I personally think a lot of our starters will be limited or need to be limited. I don’t want CMC to get any touches and I would like Deebo to get a couple to get his feet back under him. Deebo doesn’t have to actually get the ball, I just want him running around - get some conditioning. Wouldn’t mind Mooney not playing much either. We will definitely need him in the playoffs and I don’t need him pulling anything. Bosa will get some more snaps just because I think he wants to break Aldon’s record. Still limit him or pull him after halftime. 

Just now, GW21 said:

Hopefully it’s a lighter load if he plays.

Of course he wants to play, but this is one of those times the team needs to step in and protect the player. Give him a week off and get him ready for the playoffs while simultaneously giving TDP and Mason an opportunity to grow and learn as players. It's a win win. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N4L said:

Of course he wants to play, but this is one of those times the team needs to step in and protect the player. Give him a week off and get him ready for the playoffs while simultaneously giving TDP and Mason an opportunity to grow and learn as players. It's a win win. 

Hard to argue with that logic, but I don’t see Kyle fully shutting him down if he’s ‘healthy’. He said a couple of weeks ago something to affect that ‘resting players for the playoffs is the biggest mistake a coach can make’.