Week 18 Thread: Whatever. Howell to start. Thoughts and Prayers for Damar Hamlin first and foremost.

MikeT14

14 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Rivera probably just hoping starting Heinicke will allow his magic to rub off on Howell.  

Seriously though, super weird.  Just give Howell a full game to play.  You burnt our playoff hopes to evaluate Wentz, now you are gun shy to evaluate Howell fully?  Starting Heinicke sure isn't going to help Heinicke's career to start a meaningless game that he will not control the full outcome of.  

I think they’re trying to bridge the gap between giving a Heinicke his moment to end the season with a start at home infront of a fanbase that overwhelmingly enjoys watching him play & called for him to be put in the game after Wentz’s first int last Sunday & the chants didn’t end all game while also giving playing time Howell.

I hope that Howell plays most of the game; at least the second half.

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Will be Rivera's 8th starting QB. Has started 3 different ones each season with the team. 

2020 Alex Smith (6) / Dwayne Haskins (6) / Kyle Allen (4)
2021 Taylor Heinicke (15) / Ryan Fitzpatrick (1) / Garrett Gilbert (1)
2022 Taylor Heinicke (9) / Carson Wentz (7) / Sam Howell (1)

Unbelievable. Although people may forget but Mike Shanahan had a similar track record.

2010: McNabb/Grossman

2011: Grossman/Beck

2012: RG3/ Kirk

2013: RG3/Kirk

Ok, I guess not as many as I thought. 5 different QBs starting in 4 years.

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I have so much faith in this kid. I have been watching him since he was a Freshman at UNC. I know the odds of this turning out great are pretty low but man I hope it does. So excited for Sam!

Time for us to look like geniuses or buffoons. Probably still both 😉

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I have so much faith in this kid. I have been watching him since he was a Freshman at UNC. I know the odds of this turning out great are pretty low but man I hope it does. So excited for Sam!

My hope for him is that his trajectory takes a Kirk Cousins type path. I don’t expect him to light the world on fire Sunday, but I expect him to show flashes.

Hopefully next year, or in 2024 he will have proven he deserves to be the starter after more development.

If he goes out there & plays like Purdy, I’ll be stoked though!!

Just now, MikeT14 said:

Time for us to look like geniuses or buffoons. Probably still both 😉

I don't expect him to play great or not make mistakes but there's things I want to see. The live arm and the ability to get outside of the pocket and make plays with his legs. I do expect Dallas to terrorize him but he's young and the line is bad. I just need to see the things I know he's capable of. I just want hope lol

13 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I disagree with all of this.  Heinicke has never made a fuss about being benched or being a backup. He seems eternally grateful for us reviving his career and giving him a chance in the NFL.  He's a great backup to have and would be a great mentor to whatever young QB we go with. 

I don’t think it’s a question of Heinicke doing anything wrong or not being a solid guy/teammate. 

I think the issue he’s referring to is that a large portion of this fanbase likes Taylor too much, in the sense that a couple bad games from Howell will have the masses screaming for Heinicke. It took one overthrown swing pass from Wentz to get Heinicke’s name ringing out in the stadium — and while Howell would surely have a longer leash than Week 17 Wentz with the fans, we have been doing this long as WAS fans to know what happens if Howell struggles out of the gate: “He SUCKS! Now we know why he fell to the 5th. Put Heinicke in, he never should have lost his job in the first place! At least he doesn’t EMBARRASS us!” 

I don’t care either way, really, because I don’t think either Howell or Heinicke is the long-term answer. After sitting for a whole season, Sam would have to come out of the box ready to go next season if he’s going to be the guy. If we’re still yelling for Heinicke after watching him, then he probably ain’t it anyway. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I don’t think it’s a question of Heinicke doing anything wrong or not being a solid guy/teammate. 

I think the issue he’s referring to is that a large portion of this fanbase likes Taylor too much, in the sense that a couple bad games from Howell will have the masses screaming for Heinicke. It took one overthrown swing pass from Wentz to get Heinicke’s name ringing out in the stadium — and while Howell would surely have a longer leash than Week 17 Wentz with the fans, we have been doing this long as WAS fans to know what happens if Howell struggles out of the gate: “He SUCKS! Now we know why he fell to the 5th. Put Heinicke in, he never should have lost his job in the first place! At least he doesn’t EMBARRASS us!” 

I don’t care either way, really, because I don’t think either Howell or Heinicke is the long-term answer. After sitting for a whole season, Sam would have to come out of the box ready to go next season if he’s going to be the guy. If we’re still yelling for Heinicke after watching him, then he probably ain’t it anyway. 

I don't care about that either.  The fanbase is always whining about something. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think it had more to do with Wentz than it did Heinicke. If it was just Howell and Wentz the same thing would've happened.