Week 18 Thread: Whatever. Howell to start. Thoughts and Prayers for Damar Hamlin first and foremost.

MikeT14

53 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I disagree with all of this.  Heinicke has never made a fuss about being benched or being a backup. He seems eternally grateful for us reviving his career and giving him a chance in the NFL.  He's a great backup to have and would be a great mentor to whatever young QB we go with. 

I'm not say what so ever that Taylor himself would cause problems being the backup, I'm talking about the fans. 

What I’m expecting in this game from Howell is I’m going to like Sam’s arm. I’m still concerned until he proves otherwise about his accuracy. Also, I’d like to see better footwork from Howell, less patting of the football before he throws & more getting to his check down instead of taking off & running because his first read isn’t open.

I sure hope he’s more accurate than he was in the preseason and he doesn’t always take off & run after his first read isn’t open.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I disagree with all of this.  Heinicke has never made a fuss about being benched or being a backup. He seems eternally grateful for us reviving his career and giving him a chance in the NFL.  He's a great backup to have and would be a great mentor to whatever young QB we go with. 

I called him our Flutie before and I mean it.

43 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I don’t think it’s a question of Heinicke doing anything wrong or not being a solid guy/teammate. 

I think the issue he’s referring to is that a large portion of this fanbase likes Taylor too much, in the sense that a couple bad games from Howell will have the masses screaming for Heinicke. It took one overthrown swing pass from Wentz to get Heinicke’s name ringing out in the stadium — and while Howell would surely have a longer leash than Week 17 Wentz with the fans, we have been doing this long as WAS fans to know what happens if Howell struggles out of the gate: “He SUCKS! Now we know why he fell to the 5th. Put Heinicke in, he never should have lost his job in the first place! At least he doesn’t EMBARRASS us!” 

I don’t care either way, really, because I don’t think either Howell or Heinicke is the long-term answer. After sitting for a whole season, Sam would have to come out of the box ready to go next season if he’s going to be the guy. If we’re still yelling for Heinicke after watching him, then he probably ain’t it anyway. 

This is exactly what I was getting at.

Look at Zach Wilson in New York and Mike White. Mike White has come in and had some great games and they went with Zach Wilson and he struggled this year, and the whole fan base turned against him even though they were 5-2. Now I understand it's not the exact same since Sam wasn't a #2 overall pick, but he was projected to be that before his senior year. That fan base has ruined Zach Wilson, even though he hasn't done much to prove himself to them. I know Sam is talented, but there is a reason he dropped to the 5th round, and if for some miracle of a reason he can be the long term answer, the fans shouldn't be a reason to ruin him. That's all I'm saying.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

This is exactly what I was getting at.

Look at Zach Wilson in New York and Mike White. Mike White has come in and had some great games and they went with Zach Wilson and he struggled this year, and the whole fan base turned against him even though they were 5-2. Now I understand it's not the exact same since Sam wasn't a #2 overall pick, but he was projected to be that before his senior year. That fan base has ruined Zach Wilson, even though he hasn't done much to prove himself to them. I know Sam is talented, but there is a reason he dropped to the 5th round, and if for some miracle of a reason he can be the long term answer, the fans shouldn't be a reason to ruin him. That's all I'm saying.

Zach Wilson ruined himself by being an unlikeable d-bag. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Zach Wilson ruined himself by being an unlikeable d-bag. 

No doubt he's acted like a d-bag, but the fans sure loved when they heard about him cheating on his girlfriend and was banging moms, which is d-bag behavior IMO, and he hadn't played good football before that. How about Sam Darnold? He's had some pretty good games in Carolina after leaving New York, not great by any means, but he's shon some things. I think the Jets are similar to us, they just can't get good quarterback play and no one understands why. The entire crowd booing a QB asking for someone else to play is never going to end well. 

6 minutes ago, Scott Land said:

No doubt he's acted like a d-bag, but the fans sure loved when they heard about him cheating on his girlfriend and was banging moms, which is d-bag behavior IMO, and he hadn't played good football before that. How about Sam Darnold? He's had some pretty good games in Carolina after leaving New York, not great by any means, but he's shon some things. I think the Jets are similar to us, they just can't get good quarterback play and no one understands why. The entire crowd booing a QB asking for someone else to play is never going to end well. 

Fans always root for the backup QB.  That has nothing to do with Heinicke.  The fact that you can produce so many examples just supports this. 

Atleast I can root for team to win this week if Heinicke or Wentz started I was at picking 10-14 sounds like the best thing.

But a Sam Howell breakout debut to stop the Cowboys from winning the division would be worth losing a couple spots in the 1st lol.

1 minute ago, ovfd55 said:

Atleast I can root for team to win this week if Heinicke or Wentz started I was at picking 10-14 sounds like the best thing.

But a Sam Howell breakout debut to stop the Cowboys from winning the division would be worth losing a couple spots in the 1st lol.

Wow.  Heinicke is a class act.