Week 18 Thread: Whatever. Howell to start. Thoughts and Prayers for Damar Hamlin first and foremost.

MikeT14

52 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

This is laughable. The same people clamoring for Heinicke to play because he makes the whole team better and he has that fire teammates get excited to play with, now isn't worth anyone to sign...

Heinicke will be signed elsewhere this off-season. He would be incredibly smart to do so as well. Any contract given by the current staff won't be honored by the next. He would be a starter in either NY team, Carolina, Atlanta, New Orleans, New England (my ideal spot for him) or even Oakland with Carr on the way out. He is a high tier back-up and low end starter. He will have his suitors and if he's smart, he will go elsewhere even for less money. 

I don’t see it. I don’t see him being starters in any of those places week 1. Heinicke is a back up. Us people who wanted Heinicke to keep starting after Wentz got hurt just thought he was a better option than Wentz, and we were proven right last Sunday.

Just bc Heinicke was a better option than Wentz as a starter when Heinicke had been our starter for several months & I didn’t feel that Wentz would make a real difference, especially after missing two months, doesn’t mean that Heinicke is going to start somewhere week 1 next season.

I think he’s a back up in the league, no matter which team he’s on. For example, you bring up NY, they’d probably rather play Mike White to see what he can do as a young QB than a 30-year old like Heinicke. It’s hard to imagine Daniel Jones not being the starter next year for the Giants.

• Like 1

I think first we need to figure out who the coaching staff and GM is next year before we assume Heinicke is here.  If Scott Turner stays, Heinicke will stay for sure.  If not, anything could happen. 

I certainly don't think anyone will sign him as an intended season long starter.  But there is no doubt that Heinicke will be in the nfl next year as a backup for some team.  I could see the Cardinals signing him for instance.  I could see the Ravens signing him.  Lot of backup landing spots. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t see it. I don’t see him being starters in any of those places week 1. Heinicke is a back up. Us people who wanted Heinicke to keep starting after Wentz got hurt just thought he was a better option than Wentz, and we were proven right last Sunday.

Just bc Heinicke was a better option than Wentz as a starter when Heinicke had been our starter for several months & I didn’t feel that Wentz would make a real difference, especially after missing two months, doesn’t mean that Heinicke is going to start somewhere week 1 next season.

I don't dispute much of this, but Heinicke does have the talent to win in the NFL. He proved he can start for teams out there, but you get the good with the bad.

I personally think he would be a perfect fit for Arthur Smith's Atlanta Falcons offense that features a bevy of tall receivers who can win the 50-50 ball. I think they would be comfortable with him in an open competition with Ridder. 

I think NE makes the most sense as they can bring him in as a valuable back-up/borderline starter. The way he conducts himself also fits within "the Patriot way". 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I think he’s a back up in the league, no matter which team he’s on. For example, you bring up NY, they’d probably rather play Mike White to see what he can do as a young QB than a 30-year old like Heinicke. It’s hard to imagine Daniel Jones not being the starter next year for the Giants.

I think Daniel Jones is still playing for his job in NY. Don't be surprised if he doesn't play well, that he makes it to FA or is tagged and traded as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think this staff would be crazy to let Heinicke walk. You aren't going to find a better back up option that knows Turners system so well. Just stay out of the veteran fray. Don't go after Carr or the rest of them. Either make a big trade up for Stroud/Young or build the rest of the roster and wait another season. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think this staff would be crazy to let Heinicke walk. You aren't going to find a better back up option that knows Turners system so well. Just stay out of the veteran fray. Don't go after Carr or the rest of them. Either make a big trade up for Stroud/Young or build the rest of the roster and wait another season. 

I agree with everything except the trade up for Stroud/Young. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I agree but hope it’s not the case because that will mean RR is still the HC. 

Solution is simple...

1)Keep Sam Howell

2)Offer Heinicke to stay with a reasonable offer, but no promise of starting.

3)cut Wentz

4)draft QB 

If Heinicke doesn't sign, look for QB in FA for cheap. Cheap vet....

I don't want to trade for any QB, period. Unless he's a bonafide proven stud like Mahomes, Burrow, Allen. ( Which isn't gonna happen)

Otherwise, draft QB wherever one drops in our lap. Whatever the round.

Do not trade up for one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

I think first we need to figure out who the coaching staff and GM is next year before we assume Heinicke is here.  If Scott Turner stays, Heinicke will stay for sure.  If not, anything could happen. 

I certainly don't think anyone will sign him as an intended season long starter.  But there is no doubt that Heinicke will be in the nfl next year as a backup for some team.  I could see the Cardinals signing him for instance.  I could see the Ravens signing him.  Lot of backup landing spots. 

I don’t see Ron being fired this offseason. Dan is selling the team, so he’s not going to fire the entire front office & coaching staff and have to pay out their contracts.

Who knows when the sale will be finalized & the next owner will take over?

If it’s anytime in the summer, like I guess, then the current structure will remain in place just like it did in 1999 in Snyder’s first year.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t think they’ll let Heinicke walk and I do think they’ll draft someone or maybe that’s more of a hope.

Wait another season? We keep saying that every offseason.

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

I don't dispute much of this, but Heinicke does have the talent to win in the NFL. He proved he can start for teams out there, but you get the good with the bad.

I personally think he would be a perfect fit for Arthur Smith's Atlanta Falcons offense that features a bevy of tall receivers who can win the 50-50 ball. I think they would be comfortable with him in an open competition with Ridder. 

I think NE makes the most sense as they can bring him in as a valuable back-up/borderline starter. The way he conducts himself also fits within "the Patriot way". 

I think Daniel Jones is still playing for his job in NY. Don't be surprised if he doesn't play well, that he makes it to FA or is tagged and traded as well.

NE has Mac Jones & a younger version of Heinicke in Bailey Zappe. I highly doubt they’d sign him.

Maybe ATL does, but I think it’s more likely Heinicke signs here and plays in the system he knows with the players he knows.

45 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Nobody is getting fired dude. The owner is selling the team. This is what we’re stuck with for 2023. 

If the sale gets done sooner than some may think, I think we'll have a full new staff. Usually new owners want to start completely fresh. I hope that's what we have happen.