Las Vegas Stidhams V. The Kansas City Mahomies - SEASON FANALE!!!!!

Totty

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Jimmy G with familiarity of the system >>> Carr 

I think that is the equation you have to look at in the evaluation. 

I love the new narrative that Jimmy G isn’t good and the 49ers can win with anyone because Brock Purdy has gone 5-0 surrounded by CMC, Deebo, and Kittle + the #1 defense in both points  / yards allowed. 

5-0 with Purdy > 5 year sample size of being 8-28 without Jimmy G 

Just rewatching the game and a couple things strike me. Even with a few bad decisions, Stidham I feel looks comfortable in the ‘pocket’ and has quite a bit of upside I feel. He’s obviously still learning and has weaknesses and made a few I’ll advised throws but I like his movement, he seems to read the field ok, made a few really nice throws, stayed quite composed and he’s not afraid to give his receivers a chance. He may amount to very little of course, but I think he’s shown enough to be in the mix next year. 

Also, even though the score was an accurate reflection of the game and KC was the much better team, if a few plays had gone the other way we have a much different game. The PI on the Adams drop in the end zone. The roughing on Crosby, a few Ill timed penalties and I’ll advised throws. It’s all stuff that can be cleared up with time and hard work.

This is probably sounding delusional 😁 but I’m quite optimistic! If we can add a few high picks a couple good value free agents we’ll be a competitive team next year, so long as the QB isn’t a mess.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Just rewatching the game and a couple things strike me. Even with a few bad decisions, Stidham I feel looks comfortable in the ‘pocket’ and has quite a bit of upside I feel. He’s obviously still learning and has weaknesses and made a few I’ll advised throws but I like his movement, he seems to read the field ok, made a few really nice throws, stayed quite composed and he’s not afraid to give his receivers a chance. He may amount to very little of course, but I think he’s shown enough to be in the mix next year. 

Also, even though the score was an accurate reflection of the game and KC was the much better team, if a few plays had gone the other way we have a much different game. The PI on the Adams drop in the end zone. The roughing on Crosby, a few Ill timed penalties and I’ll advised throws. It’s all stuff that can be cleared up with time and hard work.

This is probably sounding delusional 😁 but I’m quite optimistic! If we can add a few high picks a couple good value free agents we’ll be a competitive team next year, so long as the QB isn’t a mess.

The issue with Stidham dating back to college at Auburn is he likes to play hero ball at times. He takes unnecessary risky shots vs. getting it to his check down and picking up yardage. 

9ers game, we saw it pay off with some chunk plays to Adams. Chiefs game, was the opposite effect. Couple times he through into trouble with a wide open check down. He's basically the opposite of Carr who is to quick to get to his check down vs. letting it develop. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

The issue with Stidham dating back to college at Auburn is he likes to play hero ball at times. He takes unnecessary risky shots vs. getting it to his check down and picking up yardage. 

9ers game, we saw it pay off with some chunk plays to Adams. Chiefs game, was the opposite effect. Couple times he through into trouble with a wide open check down. He's basically the opposite of Carr who is to quick to get to his check down vs. letting it develop. 

Yes I agree with that take but he’s still young and has time to learn. I’d keep him around, let him compete and see if he can mature. Mahones was very similar early on, and he’s matured no end. He’s only started two games so there’ll be plenty to work on but I do like a lot of what I see thus far. We shouldn’t put all our eggs in the Stidham basket obviously, but I’d like to see if he can improve with game experience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I love the new narrative that Jimmy G isn’t good and the 49ers can win with anyone because Brock Purdy has gone 5-0 surrounded by CMC, Deebo, and Kittle + the #1 defense in both points  / yards allowed. 

5-0 with Purdy > 5 year sample size of being 8-28 without Jimmy G 

But he isn't good. He did almost nothing during that SB run. A historic level of nothing.

Maybe the 49ers can't win with a true backup, but a fringe starter like Minshew/Purdy is enough for them to basically keep on chugging.

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

But he isn't good. He did almost nothing during that SB run. A historic level of nothing.

Maybe the 49ers can't win with a true backup, but a fringe starter like Minshew/Purdy is enough for them to basically keep on chugging.

The 49ers have been terrible without Jimmy G outside of this season. Brock Purdy is 5-0 but he has been able to lean on arguably the most talented offense in the league (CMC, Deebo, Kittle, Ayiuk) and one of the most dominant defenses we've seen in recent years.

His 5 wins have also come against Tampa Bay (8-9), Seattle (9-8), Washington (8-8-1), Las Vegas (6-11), and Arizona (4-13). Not exactly murders row of opponents for him to beat and Kyle Shanahan is 8-28 in the previous 5 seasons without Jimmy G. 

Bill Belicheck and the Patriots had issues because he preferred Jimmy G to Tom Brady going forward. And Kyle Shanahan has had the majority of his success with him as the starter. Two of the elite coaches in the league were very high on him, which to me says a lot. 

19 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The 49ers have been terrible without Jimmy G outside of this season. Brock Purdy is 5-0 but he has been able to lean on arguably the most talented offense in the league (CMC, Deebo, Kittle, Ayiuk) and one of the most dominant defenses we've seen in recent years.

His 5 wins have also come against Tampa Bay (8-9), Seattle (9-8), Washington (8-8-1), Las Vegas (6-11), and Arizona (4-13). Not exactly murders row of opponents for him to beat and Kyle Shanahan is 8-28 in the previous 5 seasons without Jimmy G. 

Bill Belicheck and the Patriots had issues because he preferred Jimmy G to Tom Brady going forward. And Kyle Shanahan has had the majority of his success with him as the starter. Two of the elite coaches in the league were very high on him, which to me says a lot. 

He was that high on Jimmy G Shanahan drafted Lance to replace him ? The 49ers couldn’t get anyone to trade for him and then resigned him when no one else had any money left to offer a better deal. Saying they are very high on him is really stretching the truth. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dessie said:

He was that high on Jimmy G Shanahan drafted Lance to replace him ? The 49ers couldn’t get anyone to trade for him and then resigned him when no one else had any money left to offer a better deal. Saying they are very high on him is really stretching the truth. 

Jimmy G’s health issues are clearly a concern. 

Just now, MrOaktown_56 said:

And his level of play. They literally traded 3 FRP to get someone to upgrade him.

He had also missed the majority of their games in 3 of 4 seasons. He reminds me of Alex Smith, he was replaced by a younger, more dynamic player in San Francisco too. That didn't stop him from having a ton of success in Kansas City. Jimmy is personally like my 6th choice for next season in terms of preference, but I think he'll likely be the guy if we don't sign Tom Brady.

22 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He had also missed the majority of their games in 3 of 4 seasons. He reminds me of Alex Smith, he was replaced by a younger, more dynamic player in San Francisco too. That didn't stop him from having a ton of success in Kansas City. Jimmy is personally like my 6th choice for next season in terms of preference, but I think he'll likely be the guy if we don't sign Tom Brady.

Alex smith was more mobile, less injury prone, and didn't turn the ball over as much.