2018 NFL Draft Prospect Pro Comps

Rich7sena

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

He has versatility and skills that Roquan won't ever have. You are drafting LVE as much for what he'll become as what he is. Urlacher played a hybrid safety/LB spot in college. He wasn't a finished product either. But you can see how much LVE offers. He can do anything and everything. When I have some time, I'll post some gifs of him defeating blocks of OLs (despite not being technically refined in that regard). He's not just a fast guy who can sift through traffic. He can attack the LOS, stack and shed blocks, and finish plays at the LOS and behind it. He has the potential to be able to do anything you ask of him in the NFL and play any role at LB.

So you are saying the eagles should take him at 32?

6 hours ago, jrry32 said:

He has versatility and skills that Roquan won't ever have. You are drafting LVE as much for what he'll become as what he is. Urlacher played a hybrid safety/LB spot in college. He wasn't a finished product either. But you can see how much LVE offers. He can do anything and everything. When I have some time, I'll post some gifs of him defeating blocks of OLs (despite not being technically refined in that regard). He's not just a fast guy who can sift through traffic. He can attack the LOS, stack and shed blocks, and finish plays at the LOS and behind it. He has the potential to be able to do anything you ask of him in the NFL and play any role at LB.

As promised:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Imagine what that kid is capable of as he gets stronger, learns how to use his length, and learns how to properly position himself. He's already not at all afraid of blockers. He already shows the strength and length to stack or fight through blocks (even if he isn't as consistent as you'd like yet). He's going to be a heck of a talent as he progresses. My only somewhat big complaint is that I wish he played with more of a mean streak.

22 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Here's a lofty and bold comparison:

Leighton Vander Esch = Brian Urlacher

I got a better one.

Leighton Vander Esch = Jack Lambert

I'm really beginning to like this kid.  He's looking more and more like a top 10 prospect to me.  Hopefully he falls to the Steelers at 28.  They desperately need an inside linebacker of his caliber.  Plus he needs to follow in the footsteps of Jack Lambert playing for the Steelers.

Just now, VanS said:

I got a better one.

Leighton Vander Esch = Jack Lambert

I'm really beginning to like this kid.  He's looking more and more like a top 10 prospect to me.  Hopefully he falls to the Steelers at 28.  They desperately need an inside linebacker of his caliber.  Plus he needs to follow in the footsteps of Jack Lambert playing for the Steelers.

I'm going to pass on that comparison. Were you a football fan back during Lambert's playing days?

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'm going to pass on that comparison. Were you a football fan back during Lambert's playing days?

LOL.  No.  I was born in the late 80s.  My earliest football memories are of Terrell Owens catching that last second touchdown pass from Steve Young versus the Green Bay Packers in the '97 NFC Playoffs.

The Jack Lambert comp came to me while I was watching some highlights of Lambert and the 70s Steelers the other day and I saw that his body type was similar to Leighton Vander Esch.  Both are unusually tall, slender, long, and athletic for a MLB.  The Brian Urlacher comp didn't work for me because Urlacher looks a lot heavier set than LVE who has a more streamlined look.

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

As promised:

Imagine what that kid is capable of as he gets stronger, learns how to use his length, and learns how to properly position himself. He's already not at all afraid of blockers. He already shows the strength and length to stack or fight through blocks (even if he isn't as consistent as you'd like yet). He's going to be a heck of a talent as he progresses. My only somewhat big complaint is that I wish he played with more of a mean streak.

All I saw from these gifs is that he's terrible at shedding blockers.

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

As promised:

I think those clips show he has promise and like you said, is fearless when it comes to those blockers. I just don't know if he has the frame to handle a pro style downhill scheme. He's killing it against Oregon's passive zone blocking scheme, but I'd love to see him do this against a Georgia or an Alabama before I feel comfortable calling him the next big thing at LB'er.

He reminds me exactly of Kiko Alonso, who has been a solid, yet, underwhelming player so far in his career.

25 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Keep searching....

Similar height and weight.  Both have the versatility to play in the box and on the back end as a free safety.  I think its the best comp possible.

If you don't like it, why don't you tell me who you think Derwin James is most like?

6 hours ago, Danger said:

All I saw from these gifs is that he's terrible at shedding blockers.

Uh what? Having watched LBs who are actually terrible at shedding blockers (Alec Ogletree and James Laurinaitis), you're off the mark here. Hell, turn on Roquan Smith's film. A guy who is terrible at shedding blockers gets stuck to them like velcro and doesn't push them back or fight off blocks to make the tackle. The fact that LVE is attacking and finishing through blocks without demonstrating the proper technique at this stage in his development is a majorly positive sign.

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think those clips show he has promise and like you said, is fearless when it comes to those blockers. I just don't know if he has the frame to handle a pro style downhill scheme. He's killing it against Oregon's passive zone blocking scheme, but I'd love to see him do this against a Georgia or an Alabama before I feel comfortable calling him the next big thing at LB'er.

He reminds me exactly of Kiko Alonso, who has been a solid, yet, underwhelming player so far in his career.

I expect him to add more weight and strength in the NFL. I think he's a better player than Alonso. I don't think Alonso was the same caliber of athlete that LVE is.

6 hours ago, VanS said:

LOL.  No.  I was born in the late 80s.  My earliest football memories are of Terrell Owens catching that last second touchdown pass from Steve Young versus the Green Bay Packers in the '97 NFC Playoffs.

The Jack Lambert comp came to me while I was watching some highlights of Lambert and the 70s Steelers the other day and I saw that his body type was similar to Leighton Vander Esch.  Both are unusually tall, slender, long, and athletic for a MLB.  The Brian Urlacher comp didn't work for me because Urlacher looks a lot heavier set than LVE who has a more streamlined look.

Urlacher didn't look that big to me in college. I guess we'll see where LVE checks in at the Combine.

2 hours ago, VanS said:

Similar height and weight.  Both have the versatility to play in the box and on the back end as a free safety.  I think its the best comp possible.

If you don't like it, why don't you tell me who you think Derwin James is most like?

Two different types of athletes, two different skill sets.

Archived